• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would a speaker port extending out of a speaker rather than into it work?

Razorhelm

I have been working on some 3d printed speakers and I was wondering if a port extending out of the speaker would work and how to calculate its effect.

I am thinking of making it part of a connected stand.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes this would work.

Calculate the enclosure's internal volume and the port's length and diameter using whatever program you prefer, and do not add the volume taken up by the port to the required enclosure internal volume because it will be external.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It should work fine and, as long as you correctly observe the internal box volume, be calculated the same way.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Done all the time in DIY, since even the longest port is cheaper than a passive radiator.

OP
Razorhelm

Razorhelm

Excellent, that makes life easier! Thank you all for your responses!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Normally people do it backwards, the forget to deduct the port volume from the box volume, so that side of the equation is off.

If I were making a 3d printed speaker I'd look at PRs, there are some really little one now.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it would work, but just because you can does not mean you should...

Would need to know more. Notably, should look at air velocity for the port and potential pipe resonances. These are 2 major sources for undesirable noises from ports.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Of course it will work.

In terms of Port Noise (and I'll stifle my Philip Roth pun for a change), there are myriad tricks to deal with that -- up to and including the nuclear solution.

The passive radiator.

:cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is a slotted port (like the Onken) actually an exterior port? Yes? No?

iu

Jim Taylor
Sort of, yes. But I've seen guys build subs with external pipes, too.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely.

For niche applications with a low port tune, an internal port could double the internal volume.

I have used external ports on a handful of subwoofers, that way I could readily change the tuning frequency without dismounting the driver to reach inside.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely.

For niche applications with a low port tune, an internal port could double the internal volume.

I have used external ports on a handful of subwoofers, that way I could readily change the tuning frequency without dismounting the driver to reach inside.
I've seen a few ports swept back to get that retro sports car look, too :D or maybe a top-fueler ;)

Trouble Maker

Absolutely.

Is the 'trap' (essentially) a Helmholtz resonator set around 1/4 & 1/2 frequency (wavelength) of those two peaks?

alex-z

Is the 'trap' (essentially) a Helmholtz resonator set around 1/4 & 1/2 frequency (wavelength) of those two peaks?

Partially. It is filled with low density absorption, which reduces the peak effectiveness of the resonator trap, but broadens the absorption curve.

Trouble Maker

Partially. It is filled with low density absorption, which reduces the peak effectiveness of the resonator trap, but broadens the absorption curve.

Thanks! I was actually wondering what affect the filler would have. :)

Edit: There's some fundamental piece I'm missing. Most of the 'ideal' and calculations are based off of a 'tube' or 'opening' of some shape and volume, connected to a larger body like a cylinder or sphere. But what happens when it's just a single tube, like in this case? How should that resonance frequency be calculated? All of the equations are for this former kind of 2 body shape. My previous assumption was just based off of soundwave length VS tube length, but maybe (probably?) that's incorrect here.

Last edited:

Wolf

Those things sounded VERY good too! Bill did his homework.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I was actually wondering what affect the filler would have. :)

Edit: There's some fundamental piece I'm missing. Most of the 'ideal' and calculations are based off of a 'tube' or 'opening' of some shape and volume, connected to a larger body like a cylinder or sphere. But what happens when it's just a single tube, like in this case? How should that resonance frequency be calculated? All of the equations are for this former kind of 2 body shape. My previous assumption was just based off of soundwave length VS tube length, but maybe (probably?) that's incorrect here.
It's the mass of air in the port resonating with the "springiness" of the cabinet air volume.

Clicky clicky: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom