• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would a Darlington MP-7 be an upgrade over a MS Nova Phonomena?

drewdawg999

Been mulling this one over, whether to change phono stages. I'm pretty happy with the Phonomena, that is after the addition of a SUT, the Phasemation T-300. Cartridge is a recently re-tipped old Koetsu Black, and prefer the SUT into MM, as I find that 60dB of gain is too noisy, too much hiss and hum.

Since I'm going the SUT route, would a unit that's just a dedicated MM preamp do the job better? Specs wise the Phonomena is trashed around here as is its designer, Michael Yee. Only a lower modeled Darlington has been reviewed here, didn't fare too well either. The top of the line Darlington MP-7 has upgrades in the power supply, but is this bested by my Phonomena which has a battery powered off the grid mode?

My gut tells me it's a lateral move and maybe I could put my money to better use upgrading the SUT. Ones using the Cinemag 1254 transformers have caught my eye, by nclayton on eBay. Close to pulling the trigger on those. Or should I just stand pat, wouldn't be a meaningful upgrade?

AaronJ

I don’t agree the MM-5 was reviewed as being poor here. In fact quite a few people were impressed by its overhead, myself being one of them. I actually own a MP-7 and think it’s pretty darn good.

I don’t have a ton of cartridges to compare but I do feel like it allows the carts’ characteristics to shine through. The AT VM95ML is very neutral (with 100pF capacitance), maybe slightly dark. The Shure V15V-MR has a bit more top end excitement, and it’s why the AT is now installed in my office partnered with a Schiit Mani 2. The Ortofon OM30 is on backup duty and sounds the most stale of the three.

Keep in mind these are all subjective opinions and should not be taken as gospel especially here at ASR. But I am quite happy with my MP-7. I’d only ever consider moving away from it in favor of something truly different like a Puffin.

morillon

Major Contributor
Good morning
where I come from ... if your phono stage mm is qualitative, the choice of an extern sut or "prepre" will be largely privileged if need mc...
so often a marked subjective choice between sut and "prepre"..
in the unusual case of a very low impedance cardrige, like the koetsu, (somewhat special case, even if there is still much lower impedance) , sut are often the most chosen solution (with precisely adapted sut, tricky case)
;-)

Last edited:

cgallery

They do have a home trial system, so you can try one and find out.

OP
drewdawg999

drewdawg999

Well the Cinemag SUT got sold to somebody else so that option's out, until it's restocked and who knows how long that will be. But I did find a YT vid on an interesting SUT comparison, a possible upgrade that's readily available from Japan.
Not a big difference to my ears, though the comment says otherwise.
Then there's this vid where I hear a Phonomena II+ losing the battle to an EAR 834P.
Maybe these Phonomena are pretty easily bested? I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but they have been described as pretty neutral. I suppose my vinyl rig should be filled with life and excitement. My digital side is plenty neutral which I enjoy, but it would be cool to have a nice contrast between the two. Hmmmm, thinking it over, have a couple months to decide so no hurry here. I think it's been over 15 years with the Nova Phonomena, the old ball and chain. The Darlington MP-7 is starting to look mighty fine, and I'd be opting for the mono switch, but probably keep stock connectors.

OP
drewdawg999

drewdawg999

Ned Clayton Cinemag 1254 SUT was relisted and... I snatched one up! So there goes the funds for the Darlington which will have to wait until Christmas . No problem though for the Nova Phonomena is a fine sounding unit that I've lived with for so long, so used to it. And in MM mode it's very quiet as well, balanced and neutral. Very excited for the new SUT.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sigh* I have a thing for Sansui stuff like this integrated. I really like them. They epitomize good design and layout that has lasted for decades. If the switches and controls have that hint of gold anodizing or whatever the coating is all the better.
z Screenshot 2023-04-06 181335.png

Top Bottom