• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worthy upgrade for stereo, from Yamaha RX-V3800?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48726
  • Start date

delta76

Major Contributor
Congratulations on scoring that amp. I'm interested in those but they are hard to find. From your username I suppose you're from Denmark? How did you find the amp?

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Congratulations on scoring that amp. I'm interested in those but they are hard to find. From your username I suppose you're from Denmark? How did you find the amp?
It was for sale on an online marketplace.

Also the re-wiring of the two fans in series halved the voltage and they are now completely silent and I still preserve the temperature protection (ramp-up) if things get hot. -Not likely in my use case though!

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Why are you interested in this particular amplifier? -The musician I bought it from said many studios use them. I don't really know of any history or reviews?

delta76

Major Contributor
Not exactly this model, but Yamaha P series. Heard good things about it, high output at cheap price, so I want to try

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a data point, my Yamaha RXA3030 is fine driving many speakers I have had, but not for parallel (OB) woofers offering 3.6 ohm impedance at 110 hz…a separate power amp off it’s pre-outs was a big improvement, both measured and perceived.

I use it as an hdmi preamp now.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you absolutely need your subwoofer with those speakers? -1,5 dB @ 40Hz is actually really good for a speaker of this size. I'd go with a SMSL, Topping or Gustard DAC and a Topping PA5 amp, unless the speakers have low sensivity below 88 dB/1W.

If you want stay flexible for multiple speakers in the long run, get a Denon X3700, run it in PreAmp-Mode, get a Purifi amp and be happy ever after. Though for absolute perfection I still suggest a dedicated DAC for pure stereo listening.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Do you absolutely need your subwoofer with those speakers? -1,5 dB @ 40Hz is actually really good for a speaker of this size. I'd go with a SMSL, Topping or Gustard DAC and a Topping PA5 amp, unless the speakers have low sensivity below 88 dB/1W.

If you want stay flexible for multiple speakers in the long run, get a Denon X3700, run it in PreAmp-Mode, get a Purifi amp and be happy ever after. Though for absolute perfection I still suggest a dedicated DAC for pure stereo listening.
No, I don't. I thought I did before getting the Yamaha P3200. The sound is now "fuller" , "richer" "powerfuller" ;) Haven't yet got the time to do a frequency response sweep, but rely solely on my ears and body. -For now.
As a data point, my Yamaha RXA3030 is fine driving many speakers I have had, but not for parallel (OB) woofers offering 3.6 ohm impedance at 110 hz…a separate power amp off it’s pre-outs was a big improvement, both measured and perceived.

I use it as an hdmi preamp now.
I also like the quality and sound quality from my Yamaha RX-V3800. It's a top-quality product. I'm just happy I tried something else that luckily sounds "more better" :)
The pre-outs on the RX-V3800 just wasn't up to par, so I ditched it completely and I'm just running analogue from Chromecast Audio directly to the terminals on the power amp.

delta76

Major Contributor
No, I don't. I thought I did before getting the Yamaha P3200. The sound is now "fuller" , "richer" "powerfuller" ;) Haven't yet got the time to do a frequency response sweep, but rely solely on my ears and body. -For now.

I also like the quality and sound quality from my Yamaha RX-V3800. It's a top-quality product. I'm just happy I tried something else that luckily sounds "more better" :)
The pre-outs on the RX-V3800 just wasn't up to par, so I ditched it completely and I'm just running analogue from Chromecast Audio directly to the terminals on the power amp.
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...vs-amp-speaker-measurement.35300/post-1231386 just FYI. Unless your V3800 was broken or it adds more distortions than it should, you probably wouldn't hear a difference. It's more likely you are listening at higher volume :)
P3200 is a good amp (As per internet says so), especially for its price but it won't improve the sound from your speakers. (I'd want to try it anyway because I'm new and just want to experience things)

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...vs-amp-speaker-measurement.35300/post-1231386 just FYI. Unless your V3800 was broken or it adds more distortions than it should, you probably wouldn't hear a difference. It's more likely you are listening at higher volume :)
P3200 is a good amp (As per internet says so), especially for its price but it won't improve the sound from your speakers. (I'd want to try it anyway because I'm new and just want to experience things)
Well, I can and there is, difference, and I don't, listen at higher volume than before, and it did, improve the sound at low, mid and high volume. So there's that. :)
And I know that the RX-V3800 is good and didn't google other than the spec. sheet of the P3200 before buying it, because of two things;
1. The seller lived right where I was going that day.
2. The price would do it justice even when it was to go in my workshop as originally planned.

delta76

Major Contributor
Well, as I always say, if you are happy then all is good.
I still hope we can have objective measurements for speakers when it is driven by an amp and a avr

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Well, as I always say, if you are happy then all is good.
I still hope we can have objective measurements for speakers when it is driven by an amp and a avr

Pro amps tend to have better damping factors. And I think it may well be one of the things. The speakers I have, have seven drivers in each. And I know of the theory of some, that a DF > xx is negligible, but others seem to say otherwise. Among the pro folks, it also seems to be a thing of importance.

Anyway, -of course I am happy with the better sound I have achieved for cheap and didn't expect. -That's a given, ain't it? ;)

Top Bottom