• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worthy replacement for Oppo PM-3

xirtam2005

What would a worthy headphone replacement be to the Oppo PM-3? I've been very happy with them, but they are showing their signs of age (surrounds breaking down) and want to take it to the next level. Due to listening space, it absolutely needs to be a closed back headphone. Are the Focal Stellia worth it? I can "afford" them, but would prefer not to spend that much if I don't need to. I like a good value "for what it is", and am willing to spend more if it's a good bang for the buck. Probably looking at least in $1k range as want to get something "better" than the Oppo PM-3. By better I mean neutral, detailed, transparent, neither bright nor dark, full range, but also needs to be closed back and comfortable for long listening sessions. Something able to resolve low level detail and transients, without being bright (or warm).

What about something from Dan Clark Audio, like the Aeon 2 closed? Has anyone tried those?

Planning to power with either a Benchmark DAC-3 HGC or a RME ADI-2 FS DAC. Mostly Qobuz high resolution music.

Last edited:
OP
X

xirtam2005

I havent heard a closed back with a midrange as nice as the PM-3, but the Aeon Flow Closed and Shure SRH1540 are the next best things that I’ve heard.

The Flow are like $2000?? So the $400 PM-3 outperforms a $2000 headphone? That is depressing.

OP
X

xirtam2005

Wow, so are we saying there is nothing closed back presently available at $2000 or less that at least sounds as good if not better than the $400 Oppo PM-3? If that is truly the case, that is a massive opportunity for someone to purchase Oppo IP and restart production. Even charging double would be a bargain given the competition.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, so are we saying there is nothing closed back presently available at $2000 or less that at least sounds as good if not better than the $400 Oppo PM-3? If that is truly the case, that is a massive opportunity for someone to purchase Oppo IP and restart production. Even charging double would be a bargain given the competition.
I'd assume that it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and the sales weren't strong enough.

@crinacle wasn't a fan.

OP
X

xirtam2005

I'd assume that it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and the sales weren't strong enough.

@crinacle wasn't a fan.

Gotcha. Not interested in the drop Pandas. Was hoping to get something "better", but it has to be closed back.

Realistic contenders are the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 or the Ether C Flow. Has anyone heard either?

That's roughly the high and low price range I'm looking. I am not interested in the Aeon Noire, based on the description of intentional coloration. While the Stealth is interesting, I would be hard to justify spending that much on headphones.

What would a worthy headphone replacement be to the Oppo PM-3? I've been very happy with them, but they are showing their signs of age (surrounds breaking down) and want to take it to the next level. Due to listening space, it absolutely needs to be a closed back headphone. Are the Focal Stellia worth it? I can "afford" them, but would prefer not to spend that much if I don't need to. I like a good value "for what it is", and am willing to spend more if it's a good bang for the buck. Probably looking at least in $1k range as want to get something "better" than the Oppo PM-3. By better I mean neutral, detailed, transparent, neither bright nor dark, full range, but also needs to be closed back and comfortable for long listening sessions. Something able to resolve low level detail and transients, without being bright (or warm).

What about something from Dan Clark Audio, like the Aeon 2 closed? Has anyone tried those?

Planning to power with either a Benchmark DAC-3 HGC or a RME ADI-2 FS DAC. Mostly Qobuz high resolution music.
I have an Aeon Closed X from Drop - they occasionally show up discounted from 500 down to 379, and run them off an RME ADI FS-2. Very satisfying with a little eq. Love'em.

I am not interested in the Aeon Noire, based on the description of intentional coloration. While the Stealth is interesting, I would be hard to justify spending that much on headphones.
I have a feeling at least some of the critiques are folks who read someone else's report and embellishes it. My daughter has the Noire, there is no weird coloration. It is basically an Aeon 2 Closed with different perforated pads. The Noire doesn't need to be eqed in the bass like the Aeon Closed.

phrwn

E-Mu Teaks might be worth a try for the bass, but likely won't be isolating enough. They are more semi-closed than closed. Sound doesn't leak out, but it does get in.

I like mine so much I've given up looking for the next thing, and I'm even running them straight out of the computer since I got a new motherboard with decent audio recently.

Construct

I've enjoyed my Oppo PM-3, but they're not very neutral headphones. The only way someone is going to prefer the PM-3 over every other <$2K headphone is if they really prefer the PM-3's acoustic quirks over a Harman or neutral target.

As for closed headphones, I prefer my Aeon Closed X over the PM-3 in general. The PM-3 still win for portability, but the Aeon Closed X have a superior sonic signature without EQ to me.

The Oppo PM-3 are really fun to listen to, but their sonic signature is not for everyone.

Drop is selling the ACX right now for 399 - great deal

roog

Forum Donor
I still have my Oppo PM-3 headphones, although I to suffered the same issue with the ear pads disintegrating, I am on my second set from an alternative supplier which seem to be holding up well. I use these more than I do my Stax L700 electrostats.

OP
X

xirtam2005

I still have my Oppo PM-3 headphones, although I to suffered the same issue with the ear pads disintegrating, I am on my second set from an alternative supplier which seem to be holding up well. I use these more than I do my Stax L700 electrostats.
What alternative supplier did you get the ear pads?

OP
X

xirtam2005

How are the Audeze closed back PM headphones? How do they compare to Oppo PM-3 and the ~$800ish DCA closed back headphones?

roog

Forum Donor
How are the Audeze closed back PM headphones? How do they compare to Oppo PM-3 and the ~$800ish DCA closed back headphones?
I haven’t any objective evidence, only my flawed subjective opinion. when looking for an improved Oppo pm-3 I tried the Audeeze lcd-XC, I didn’t like them, preferring the Fostex th900.

after much listening I ended up with, totally impractical for me, open back headphones, they sounded better to me.

Last edited:
The Flow are like $2000?? So the $400 PM-3 outperforms a $2000 headphone? That is depressing.
Not sure where you got that pricing but the standard flow RT are $499 and the Aeon 2 (and iterations) are around $899. I recommend getting the original Aeon Flow (not RT) which can be found used online <$450

I've enjoyed my Oppo PM-3, but they're not very neutral headphones. The only way someone is going to prefer the PM-3 over every other <$2K headphone is if they really prefer the PM-3's acoustic quirks over a Harman or neutral target.

As for closed headphones, I prefer my Aeon Closed X over the PM-3 in general. The PM-3 still win for portability, but the Aeon Closed X have a superior sonic signature without EQ to me.

The Oppo PM-3 are really fun to listen to, but their sonic signature is not for everyone.
PM-3 can have massive unit to unit variation I’ve found, i currently have a very neutral pair but ive heard some that have excessive bass and make me fall asleep instantly

Top Bottom