• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worthwhile Plate Amp Candidates<=100W

D!sco

Hey all,
I've been having fun with my recent DIY speakers, but I'm routinely disappointed with my hand-me-down, buzzy receiver or my distorted at high volume, no headroom desktop budget all-in-one amplifier. I like the way my buddy's JBL LSR305's are set up on the back, and as much as possible I'd like to replicate that on both my Speedsters and HiVi 3-ways. I'd prefer full PEQ and Crossover DSP, but it all seems incredibly expensive. A Hypex NC250MP build would be nice, but completely overkill. I feel similarly about the much better priced ICEpower modules, which really start at 170W in mono. The 50ASX2BTL is the closest thing to a popular, well-measured choice I'm aware of. I'm of the opinion that DSP/Crossover--> Bi-Amp-->Drivers is better than the current Amp-->Passive Crossover-->Drivers setup I currently have, but other than the Hypex FA122/123 models, are there any affordable, well-regarded solutions available? I feel like this is nearly standard for sub amps.

Basically,
Are there any worthwhile amp kits in the 60-100W range?
Will I blow up my speakers with 200W or higher?
Is DSP going to kill my spending limits of $100-$200 per channel?
TIA

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I really would like to see some of the plate amps with otr without DSP at Parts Express tested. I think that will help find what your looking for and what many of us would like to also be enlightened about.

Top Bottom