• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worth the time listening a speaker in a room with bad acoustics?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I has been correct in my room a courple speaker that I own, but the difference it's remarkable when you correct the woofer in-room interaction, why these enhancements / in-room gain in bass, are so bad?

Even a ''in-room enhancement'' in a X frequency of +2dB can transform the sound into a very fat sounding or and give the peseption to the listener of a slow sound, these in room enhancement are very bad for the woofer sounds..

So, if the condition aren't good, it worth the time listen the speaker? specially make a judment about the woofer in a random store full of in room enhancement..
Personally i try to judge the mids-highs in stores..

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I think I get where you are going. You can make some evaluations in stores, but until you get speakers into your room and tune to your preference, you really don't know. A couple dB makes a big difference in the 2 to 6K range, not so much outside of that.

There is sometimes the assumption that eq alone can solve all room problems. Unfortunately, not so.

DSJR

Major Contributor
One way to use a dem room (preferably with just the one pair in there and not a 'speaker wall), is to take your own existing boxes if you can, to show you how they sound in that particular room. With judgemental care, one can try different models to see how they perform relative to those. It worked well for many clients back in the day, but obviously not all can do this.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I think I get where you are going. You can make some evaluations in stores, but until you get speakers into your room and tune to your preference, you really don't know. A couple dB makes a big difference in the 2 to 6K range, not so much outside of that.

There is sometimes the assumption that eq alone can solve all room problems. Unfortunately, not so.
I think the in room enhancement make a lot of difference, and that's it's between 20hz-500hz. Personally when i remove these enhancement using EQ makes a lot of difference in the subj listening.
One way to use a dem room (preferably with just the one pair in there and not a 'speaker wall), is to take your own existing boxes if you can, to show you how they sound in that particular room. With judgemental care, one can try different models to see how they perform relative to those. It worked well for many clients back in the day, but obviously not all can do this.
I guess it's fine because you can know the problem of the room with your own speaker, so if the room make your own speaker sound fat and congested it's something wrong with the room and not the speaker in the store

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I heard once what you describe. The measurement mic was in a null. Bass boost to fill in the notch was horrendous, and the (small) woofer sounded awful. Could this possibly be happening to you? Jim
Not the exact same thing in my case, my case is not a null because, i fixed that problem changing the speaker position

But in general i think the room can make significant changes in how woofers can sound, sometimes very awful in differents ways, and all of that just by adding a courple of dB in a random frequency (Room enhancement)

Lack of punchyness, fat bass, weak bass, slow bass, etc..

Last edited:
OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Keep them out of the corners and don't sit against the rear wall.
I mean, I don't have any problem right now, i fixed my problem a lot ago using placement + EQ, just it surprise me how much the sound can change for a couple of dB (enhancement) in woofers because of the room.

Today i just improve the curve, i had a 1.5dB extra in 90hz~ but after removing that problem the sound coming from the woofer become much more precise and cleaner

EEE272

This is good advice and was also described in Floyd Toole's book. He mentions that people can adapt to the environment and listen through it. The loudspeakers were judged as expected.
Interestingly, he also pointed out that a follow-up study (using binaural recordings) showed that if you mix the experiences, the room has a very significant effect on sound quality judgements.

Top Bottom