• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worth the risk?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of mono nc1200 that drive my salon2's. Nothing wrong with them, i like the pairing a lot.
I have been wanting to upgrade though to the purifi amps but 1) it would be a step down in power (I prefer more, not less) and 2) i am not sure the upgrade will be noticeable. So, i have been sitting on my hands waiting until Bruno comes out with something altogether new or a higher power version of the purifi modules. I first saw NAD come out with their version of a higher power (I would have to buy two and use bridged) but the price seems really high. Hearing the chatter around the NAD makes me happy i did not go down that path. VTV, now has a fairly priced, bridged purifi mono that can peak 800W which has gotten my attention. of course, it is going against the recommendations of purifi. But it appears as if they work fine in bridged mode as long as they are not loaded with less than 4 ohms. My salons have a narrow range (between 10-250hz) where they drop down below 4 ohms and bottom at 3.6.

1609798676739.png

Do you think the 4 ohm impedance limit purifi states is hard and fast and without some wiggle room? Even if it is, is it worth the risk pushing the limit and risking damaging them over time? Or, should i just be pashunt, paschent, payshent (i cant even spell it but you know what i mean) and wait for a better option?

This isnt just an upgrade itch as i have another home for the nc1200s so i will eventually need another amp for the salons. Its either now or later

Top Bottom