• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worth Repairing Old Receiver? 12 year old Yammy

jonfitch

I have a Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver circa 2010 that has developed a high pitched whine out of its internals, I guess it's some kind of coil whine. This was the flagship receiver at the time. The issue is not only is it loud (audible from about 6 feet away), it's also a variable sound so it draws attention to itself. Otherwise it's a perfectly functional receiver. I have a newer Yamaha RX-V683 that's functional, but obviously a much weaker amp, being about 10 pounds lighter that I decided to switch it out to.

Is it even worth going to a electronics repair shop to have someone fix this issue or is the cost likely above resale value? I know repair costs are generally high for most things, I recall 10 years ago spending $800 repairing a receiver's power supply at an electronics shop that got knocked out during a power outage, but it was worth it to me at the time since it was an RX-Z11, an older flagship.

Is this something even worth repairing or best just dumping on craigslist and getting a newer receiver? I don't expect to need HDMI 2.1 on a receiver since it doesn't even work right now with VRR, I will run these HDMI 2.1 devices through the TV and just audio out to receiver.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's probably worth investigating and maybe getting a repair quote, but they may charge for the evaluation. It might be an easy fix.

...This is one reason I try to avoid buying higher-end electronics. It still fails sometimes, and then even if it's cheaper to repair than replace, you can usually buy something cheaper and "similar" for less than the repair price. When something cheap fails you don't feel so bad.

...I work in electronics (not audio or consumer) and I remember a long time ago we had this one simple circuit board that cost us around $10 to build and it would fail sometimes. It would cost us almost $100 to repair it because of the troubleshooting time and the disassembly/rework. There was a lot less labor in regular production and we were building in small batches which also reduces the labor. So even for the manufacturer it was cheaper to build than to repair.

Top Bottom