• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst performing Audio Interface?

bbizzle

Kind of a strange question given this forum, but I'm interested in picking up the WORST multifunction audio interface for some experimenting. Terrible performing ADC, DAC, and/or headphone amp is encouraged. Lower price, the better as well.

The reason is to identify what the impact of the gear is when trying to make music (recording AND mixing). I'm hoping that it is one of the least important factors, but without actually using terrible gear to record or mix, it would only be speculation on my part.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd suggest something else. Use Pkane's Distort software. Use clean DACs and dirty up your digital files however you wish.

Free software that allows you to build in distortion profiles as you wish.

If this is not useful, then maybe give us more info on your experiment and other recommendations could be made.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The only time I've heard a defect was from a built-in soundcard. It was noisy.

You can find cheap USB soundcards for a couple of dollars so you might try one of those, or a few different ones.

OP
B

bbizzle

The purpose is to
I'd suggest something else. Use Pkane's Distort software. Use clean DACs and dirty up your digital files however you wish.

Free software that allows you to build in distortion profiles as you wish.

If this is not useful, then maybe give us more info on your experiment and other recommendations could be made.
The purpose is to get a sense for how much a cheap/bad interface can impact the final quality of an audio recording. Probably the most important thing for me would be poor DAC performance, but I'm also curious about the ADC and how bad the headphone amp could influence mixing/mastering decisions in a home studio.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Truth is you almost cannot find anything bad enough. Most obvious will be frequency response issues. Then noise. Then distortion. I'm not sure any actually have enough distortion to matter in once thru playback or simple recording. Noise in some really poor examples might matter especially on the record side with noisy microphone preamps feeding the ADC. Some minor FR issues at the very top and bottom of the band might intrude. Really cheap interfaces often have weak headphones outs. Basically a lack of power or too high an output impedance.

Truth is, you really have to search for gear bad enough to matter. All of that end of things is a solved problem. Transducers are what matters. Phones, mikes and speakers.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kind of a strange question given this forum, but I'm interested in picking up the WORST multifunction audio interface for some experimenting. Terrible performing ADC, DAC, and/or headphone amp is encouraged. Lower price, the better as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Unless you can find a Schiit Modi 2, try putting your phone with all features on next to the USB plug on any interface to tank performance. Even cheaper if you have an old budget phone in a drawer hook it up with 3.5mm to RCA cables at max volume, or the output jack on a clock radio might be pretty bad too if you have one. The review list here has the "not recommended" for DACs you can look at to get ideas too. I'd go with a clock radio because I tried it with mine, and it sounded horrible.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure about multifunction, but the 3.5mm dongle for the Nokia N70 was the worst one I ever heard firsthand.

artburda

The Tascam DR-40 series has terrible mic preamp noise and probably also other bad measuring values. (see https://www.avisoft.com/recorder-tests/ or julian krause’s youtube video about the DR-40X). The DR-40X can also be used as an audio interface, but I don‘t know about the older ones. Maybe you could pick one up for cheap on ebay or you find some other cheap recorder on the avisoft list that measures bad and can be used as an audio interface.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Speaking of @Julian Krause, going through his data should yield some good candidates for poor performers.

Notably, the Presonus Audiobox USB 96 and its lousy mic input EIN (and seemingly generally dirty virtual ground) - you definitely don't want to be using this with an SM7B unless the denoiser is your favorite plugin. I'd guess the predecessor minus 96 is going to have much the same issues.

Or the super cheap Behringer UM2 with enough dynamic range for spoken word but little more and very limited maximum input level... like -5 dBu or something? Or the somewhat better UMC22 if you can't find one. (These kinds of interfaces based around 20-year-old single-chip USB codecs actually are not bad products per se - combine them with an XM8500 dynamic mic or a decent inexpensive condenser and a cheap and cheerful boom arm, and you have a competent budget podcasting rig with decent flexibility that should be more than adequate for starting out. Just don't expect to be able to get an undistorted recording of SHOUTING into a condenser mic on the hotter side, or to be able to record the whispers in the room at the same time as singing at the top of your lungs.)

Headphone outputs can be bad in all kinds of ways... some have high output impedance (e.g. Steinberg everything) so impedance-critical loads like multi-driver BA IEMs will sound off, while on others the same may be bothered by permanent hiss.
Then there's the ones with wimpy output stages that can't drive low-impedance cans on the insensitive side (e.g. lots of planars) to higher levels without undue distortion... the Achilles heel of 3rd gen Focusrite Scarletts, for example. (It's a "barefoot" NJM8065 - which is a warmed-up NJM4565 - at near-zero output impedance on +/-5 V. That part was never really intended to be a headphone driver, and it shows.)
Maximum output levels tend to be at least in onboard sound terrain, but that can already get fairly tight if insensitive 600 ohm cans are your thing.
At least you'll rarely get more than one or two of these issues so you can generally pick some headphones that'll work OK.

JSmith

Master Contributor

index.php

JSmith

Top Bottom