• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst movie ever?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've seen most of the movies mentioned. I agree that Battlefield Earth and Zardoz are abominable. Barbarella, as well. I haven't seen The Room. But hands down the worst movie I ever saw, and the only movie I ever walked out of the theater during, was Fatso with Dom Delouise. Just awful.

Edit: Now that I think of it, there was one other movie I walked out on, but I remember thinking Fatso was worse. I don't really remember anything about it, although I think it was one of the ones with Mary Waronov, so probably a Pual Bartel movie. Not Eating Raoul. That was actually kind of enjoyable. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Woronov

Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My nominee is 1981's Tarzan the Ape Man starring Bo Derek, Richard Harris, & Miles O'Keefe

A truly bad movie, due to massive meddling by the studio. I saw an interview with John Derrick where he talked about how heartbroken he was at how it was recut. When he completed it, he thought it was one of his best movies ever. It was supposed to be a spoof. The studio got nervous about releasing a spoof that had cost so much, and completely butchered it. So what resulted was a movie where many scenes that had been intentionally bad for the humor value were instead just plain bad when presented as part of a "serious" movie. The 5 minute slow motion fight with a giant snake comes to mind.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Elvis-Presley-Joan-Blackman-Blue-Hawaii.jpg

JSmith

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Well, that knocks The Meg out of the running.

I'd've thought The Meg 2: The Trench would make it a rematch, but that's being directed by Ben Wheatley—who is quite brilliant—so likely not.

onemax

As for me Battlefield Earth is one of the worst movies ever made. It's full of cheesy special effects, wooden acting, and a plot that makes absolutely no sense. It's also incredibly long, clocking in at nearly two and a half hours. In short, it's a complete waste of time. Even diehard fans of science fiction will find little to like here

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the movies mentioned here are bad to very bad movies.. The OP is about worst, many of those mentioned are not "The Worst"..
But
Most anything by Steven Seagal ... would qualify, especially the movie in which he fights, sitting on a chair... :D

Peace

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As for me Battlefield Earth is one of the worst movies ever made. It's full of cheesy special effects, wooden acting, and a plot that makes absolutely no sense. It's also incredibly long, clocking in at nearly two and a half hours. In short, it's a complete waste of time. Even diehard fans of science fiction will find little to like here
I found the book to be be similar. Whatever L. Ron Hubbard was good for, it certainly was not science fiction.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the movies mentioned here are bad to very bad movies.. The OP is about worst, many of those mentioned are not "The Worst"..
But
Most anything by Steven Seagal ... would qualify, especially the movie in which he fights, sitting on a chair... :D

Peace
But it still boils down to opinion and experience....and is a moving target accordingly.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I gained new respect for George Lucas after seeing the Disney Star Wars pictures.
Actually it probably was George Lucas' 1st wife who made his movies better until she wasn't with him. I think Lucas' pre-quel movies are an embarassment.

tomchris

disney ruined it all . star wars the force awakens . enough said .

View attachment 240663
I gained new respect for George Lucas after seeing the Disney Star Wars pictures.
You simply can’t expect Disney to produce quality the likes of Star Wars IV-VI or Lord of the Rings. It is just not in their DNA. The Disney decision makers extinguish every innovative idea and creative talent. But George ruined the franchise all on his own. IV was great, but I-III were goddamn awful. George Lucas was inspired to develop Jar Jar based on the Disney character Goofy…

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
My nomination is Night of the Lepus.
Bad films come in two categories - unwatchable and unintentionally hilarious.
This one does both. The opening 30 minutes is just plain awful. But stay with it... the rest of the film manages some of the worst special effects ever seen and the line "There's a herd of killer rabbits coming this way!"

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is some very sad attempts at filming Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin ( wonderful novels btw )I don’t know if it’s two part miniseries at sci-fi channel. It was truly horrible a real misrepresentation of the book series deliberately done so to cache in on fantasy hype created by LOTR .

It’s the usual sci-FI channel B movie stuff , as I said the real horror is the script and how it totally disrespect the novels.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You simply can’t expect Disney to produce quality the likes of Star Wars IV-VI or Lord of the Rings. It is just not in their DNA. The Disney decision makers extinguishes every innovative idea and creative talent. But George ruined the franchise all on his own. IV was great, but I-III were goddamn awful. George Lucas was inspired to develop Jar Jar based on the Disney character Goofy…
Yes, any director who can take Samuel L. Jackson and turn him into the worst Jedi ever has done something terrible and should be ashamed. Worst acting in Mr. Jackson's career and I can only think it was George Lucas' fault. All the acting was horribly wooden like a bad caricature.

I don't think any George Lucas films were good after his divorce from Marcia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom