• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What the hell is going on at PMC?

Raidho, Scansonic, and certain other models of speaker that share the same design lineage are all atrocious. None of us should be surprised that the audiophile press swooned over Raidho speakers despite their conspicuous brokenness.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
All these pages and nobody's mentioned Linn Kans from the early 80's (they did a few 'versions' with that name and not sure any were that good). The 1985 issue post KEF's screwing up of the B110 main driver sounded seriously SERIOUSLY awful

View attachment 151219
lordy, I love real (i.e., British) English! "rather below average" :)
Amurricans might've writ "sucks out loud" ;)

Robin L

Master Contributor
Another potential offering for worst measuring speaker:

Klipsch Forte IV loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

I can guess this has bad measurements from my sighted bias [it's from Klipsch], but there's no measurements here. No question, Stereophile is slinking away from measurements as it does not serve its bottom line. That explains a number of recent posts from Stereophile that essentially say: "measurements, shmeasurements'". Seeing as these are horns in big boxes with a passive radiator in the back, one can assume that finding a spot in a normal sized room for these speakers is going to be a challenge:

921klip.promo_.jpg

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All these pages and nobody's mentioned Linn Kans from the early 80's (they did a few 'versions' with that name and not sure any were that good). The 1985 issue post KEF's screwing up of the B110 main driver sounded seriously SERIOUSLY awful

View attachment 151219
The good old days of reviewing when the review was full of useful info and the subjective SQ part limited to one para mercifully free of any amateur poetry efforts.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Another potential offering for worst measuring speaker:

Klipsch Forte IV loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

I can guess this has bad measurements from my sighted bias [it's from Klipsch], but there's no measurements here. No question, Stereophile is slinking away from measurements as it does not serve its bottom line. That explains a number of recent posts from Stereophile that essentially say: "measurements, shmeasurements'". Seeing as these are horns in big boxes with a passive radiator in the back, one can assume that finding a spot in a normal sized room for these speakers is going to be a challenge:

View attachment 151237
Naah -- some of Klipsch's other offerings would run rings around those, horrible-ness-wise. :rolleyes:

Tom C

Major Contributor
The very worst sounding speakers I ever owned were the B&W 685. Not the S2, the original version. Absolute garbage I was never happy with. I wish I could find a spin and distortion measurements, so as to have a point of reference for what trash sounds like. The measurements should be poor.

dfuller

Major Contributor
What the hell is going on at PMC?
The lumpiness in the mids is because they're so attached to transmission lines, which is patently dumb. Beyond that, of course, it's deliberate tuning to make things sound exciting... so far as I can tell, anyway.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I find overall the British audiophile press to be the worst reviews. Often the most abstract in subjective description, though Hi Fi News usually is more constrained. But I find the description of the MBLs in that review utterly fail to get at the character of the speaker, what makes the listening experience so unique. As desparaged as the audiophile press is around here, I at least found Jonathan Valin of TAS gave a far better review of some of the MBL speakers in terms of the "what and why" and the experience of listening to the speaker.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It’s like the old saying goes…. You can have it loud. You can have it small. You can have it bassy. You can have it with good FR. Okay, now pick zero.

Isnt that poor for that amount of money? I mean its some kinde of engineering miracle. But in the wrong direction. ;)

DSJR

Major Contributor

I LIKED the Fenestrias when I've heard them (two or three times now) for their huge hearted presentation, but accept they need a barn conversion with high vaulted ceilings to fill and distribute the sound - mind you, the still 'forward/explicit' nature of the Naim Statement amps used may have helped here. A much publicised domestic install by a dealer showed how the mid bass can sound-off badly if they're put into a compromised domestic environment and PMC's Pete Thomas suggested to me that DSP would be the order of the day here - something still alien to audio people outside of this forum...

Mind you, a ten grand price increase in three years? What's that all about then? carriage charge hikes or just plain brexit (*Everything* negative is being blamed on effin' Brexit these days, but not sure if it's not an easy scapegoat to be honest - runs for cover...)

DSJR

Major Contributor
I can't remember earlier posts, but having the UK speaker brands being knocked yet again, what about the Bose 901's? These things were a cult in the 70's over this way, but the sound was effin' awful to me (I can't get on with omni's or semi-omni's and Lord knows I've tried in the past ;) )

Top Bottom