• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any Zu is an easy choice. So to a Klipsch. But what about Bose 901's the original '70s suspended from the ceiling on chains no less sonic atrocity.

Reactions: wje
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volti are really pushing the boundaries of exactly what is possible if you really don’t give a fig.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/volti-audio-razz-loudspeaker-measurements

Keith
The most uncomfortable experience I have ever had at an audio show was when I heard the Volti Vittoras. Their creator was sitting next to them bragging the entire time as some insipid jazz album was playing. The sound was terrible, and I couldn't get out of the room fast enough.

He has been defensively posting away in the Stereophile comments about the horrendous measurements of the Razz.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16502

I'll quote for your convenience: "It's very simple, stop looking at the graphs, and use your ears. That's how to really Have Fun! Greg Roberts Volti Audio"

Guess we "measurement first guys" have been doing it all wrong :p

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll quote for your convenience: "It's very simple, stop looking at the graphs, and use your ears. That's how to really Have Fun! Greg Roberts Volti Audio"

Guess we "measurement first guys" have been doing it all wrong :p
There's nothing fun about sitting in a room with Volti loudspeakers and Greg Roberts. You have to listen to both the ****** speakers and to Greg telling you how amazing they are.

Blujackaal

That's really the point vs. the white van special or the rack system cheapies. It's spending serious money to get a piece of crap that you have to convince yourself that a different set of speaker wire or interconnect or power conditioner or ........ will make them sound better which it does for a short time due to expectation bias, eventually ending with you selling for another overpriced and hyped piece of crap because you bought into another story.

This is why negative reviews on $1000+ is fun to see the fans avoid the reality they got sold crap not even worth $65 new. lol

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He has been defensively posting away in the Stereophile comments about the horrendous measurements of the Razz.
I need a good read...can you post the link?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need a good read...can you post the link?
https://www.stereophile.com/content/volti-audio-razz-loudspeaker

Here's a lowlight:

Just thought I should address the FR anomalies that show up in the test measurements so you understand where those come from.
I am using a mid driver that also covers up into tweeter territory. I have tried and can easily make a filter that will cross-over the mid and tweet very neatly by using an inductor on 'top' of the mid.
During the development of any of my speakers, I 'bread-board' the crossovers in front of me on a table, with both speakers set up for music listening. I'm able to run test measurements and then switch over to music and play with the crossover components on the fly. It's a great way to listen to the different filter changes and then measure to see where I'm at. It's my way of doing things.
On the Razz, I found that I enjoyed the sound of the midrange better when I removed the filter from the top and just let it run into the tweeter. Every time I made this change with music playing and then ran a test measurement I could see that the measurement looked terrible. But I couldn't ignore the fact that it sounded better to me.
So I decided to go with what sounded best to me, not what measured the best.
If you're one of those people who cannot accept a speaker that measures bad, Volti Audio speakers are probably not for you. You have lots of choices out there for speakers that measure good, so you don't need to be messing around with mine.
But if you're one of those people who use your ears and listen to speakers, and appreciate the effort that designers like me put into listening during development, then you'll probably be like most people who come into my room at the audio shows and are really blown away by how great the Volti Audio speakers sound.
A company like Volti Audio doesn't last in this business if they are not making great sounding speakers that people love. I'm proud of my ten years of success in the audio business, and I plan to continue what I'm doing for many more years. I'm going to do it MY way, which is the only way I can. It's how I steer my passion into my art.
So you'll probably see a lot more bad measuring Volti Audio speakers in the future that my customers, audio reviewers, and audio show listeners absolutely love. And I'm sure you 'measurement first' guys will continue to be baffled by how it can be this way.
I'm smiling a big smile as I write this.
Trust your ears and Have Fun!
Greg Roberts
Volti Audio

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And it's very simple to explain, it's about great sound, great build quality, and beautiful finish work - the measurements just don't matter.
Greg Roberts
Volti Audio

That sums it all up right there :facepalm:

Attachments

• volti.JPG
    volti.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 352

Justin Ayers

Tekton tends to come up in discussions involving Zu. Anyone have the measurements on those?

Also, can anyone point to a high-efficiency design that doesn't measure terribly?

LDKTA

There's nothing fun about sitting in a room with Volti loudspeakers and Greg Roberts. You have to listen to both the ****** speakers and to Greg telling you how amazing they are.

I can attest to this. LSAF 2019. Don’t forget about the tube derived heat that’ll make you sweat.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Impacts actually measured quite well:

View attachment 98707

Given the tweeter array thing, I wasn't terribly surprised to see that it measured fairly well on axis. I was surprised to see that it did well off axis too, though. I don't understand the tweeter array thing fully, but to its credit, it seems to work fairly well.

Top Bottom