• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Guess the £80k loudspeaker,

Keith

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess the £80k loudspeaker,

Keith
That is easy and obviously the on-axis response of a pair of Wilson Audio Alexia V, left, black; right, red; w. grille, blue :p

Ageve

Audiovector SR3 Signature (~$5000):

Red: On-axis
Dark red: 15 deg horizontal
Yellow: 30 deg horizontal
Green/blue: +/- 7 deg vertical
Black: Grille on

Skärmavbild 2023-02-21 kl. 22.26.44.png

Svend P

Jamo R907

209Jamfig3.jpg

These are mine. The reviews at the time did mention that the tweeter runs hot, which I agree with. Luckily one of them stopped playing, so I put in a pair of Bliesma T34 with a simple 1. order cross over instead. And because I bought them to also have a statue in the living room, I exchanged the midrange with the more expensive neo version that is black.

20210104_135307.jpg

I think the R907 was tuned to be a more "fun" loudspeaker. The bigger brother R909 measures better, but I thought it was a bit boring
Udklip.JPG

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Another Audiovector £53k
Seems an awful lot for what you get!

Keith

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another Audiovector £53k

Keith
These nevertheless "epitomise the best of Danish audio design."

The guys who write for that rag ought to switch to selling used cars.

Ageve

Alta Audio Adam ($17000):

323-altadamfig3.jpg

323-altadamfig4.jpg

323-altadamfig6.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 270066
View attachment 270067
View attachment 270068
That's very creative. I'm not sure how to do that, even if I wanted it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 270066
View attachment 270067
View attachment 270068
BTW, that write-up is one of the more alarming things I've read lately. It makes the engineer who designed this speaker sound like an idiot.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think I might have a go at this loudspeaker ’designing’ I have a free afternoon tomorrow.
Keith

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I might have a go at this loudspeaker ’designing’ I have a free afternoon tomorrow.
Keith
Beware of the dunning Kruger effect , don’t fiddle to much with such nonsense as science or engineering :) otherwise your confidence in your design may falter.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Latest Audiovector for 53,000 pounds on HFNRR:

1678221861170.png

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another Audiovector £53k

Keith
Audiovector my local hifi dealer way back had them they sounded noticeably worse the more expensive they get .
I always preferred the cheap dome tweeter versions . Less showroom sound , the detail is nothing but to much treble.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audiovector my local hifi dealer way back had them they sounded noticeably worse the more expensive they get .
I always preferred the cheap dome tweeter versions . Less showroom sound , the detail is nothing but to much treble.
Snap!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 270066
View attachment 270067
View attachment 270068
Interestingly its horizontal directivity is well behaved, probably uses shallow crossover filters with large overlapping regions which would also explain the vertical problems:

323-altadamfig5.jpg

mwmkravchenko

I read the measurement write up. It was amusing. I have been in front of these. And I agree with the measurements and the comments describing the mechanisms that are causing the problems. They are a boomy loudspeaker. The frequency response is all over the place. And with the right music it will sound kind of interesting for a little while. There is a time and a place for using microphones. And a time and a place for using music. But ideally that is music and or sounds that you know intimately from live sources. Not loudspeakers. Acoustic sources. Familiar things like your mates voice, your car door slamming. We all have cell phones. I can tell you that they record things decently. And if you want better recordings, get a mic and do it right. But the idea that you can get a recording right. And use that alone for driving a loudspeakers response is what happens in most of the examples you guys are posting. You need to understand the response, and the way your filters manipulate the response in order for you to form a final response from your chosen drivers. All that I read was a dressing down of what was done wrong. Nice to see the odd time in Stereo Pile.

Mark

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Interestingly its horizontal directivity is well behaved, probably uses shallow crossover filters with large overlapping regions which would also explain the vertical problems:

323-altadamfig5.jpg
Aren't John's off-axis curves normalized to the listening window response, so tha this would actually show that the response doesn't get much better off axis?

MarkS

Major Contributor
Wow, were these developed using only an Etch A Sketch?
Of course the reviewer loved them: "Right now, these are the speakers I'd consider most if 20 grand were burning a hole in my pocket." :facepalm:

Top Bottom