• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Ageve

It’s not a good idea? Tell that to Yamaha the maker of own brand and Steinway pianos. Believe they tune the cabinets to enhance the listening experience. As I said look at the two Stereophile waterfall graphs and compare them.

A piano is a tuned musical instrument. A loudspeaker is not.

It's purpose is to reproduce sound, not create it's own. The sound "tuning" is already present in the recording.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
A musical instrument produces sound waves we hear as music. A loudspeaker produces an imitation of these sound waves which we hear as music. If we are lucky the difference is minimal.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A musical instrument produces sound waves we hear as music. A loudspeaker produces an imitation of these sound waves which we hear as music. If we are lucky the difference is minimal.
Out of curiosity...what is a good frequency for a speaker cabinet resonance?

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Out of curiosity...what is a good frequency for a speaker cabinet resonance?
Bit of a strange question as the enclosure should react in harmony across the full audio frequency range. What exactly do you mean by resonance? Nearly all speaker makers would like an inert enclosure impossible to achieve.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bit of a strange question as the enclosure should react in harmony across the full audio frequency range. What exactly do you mean by resonance? Nearly all speaker makers would like an inert enclosure impossible to achieve.
If I understood you correctly, you thought (for example) Yamaha and Bosendorfer tuning the cabinets was a good thing.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
If I understood you correctly, you thought (for example) Yamaha and Bosendorfer tuning the cabinets was a good thing.
Definitely! Think one of the points I made was others can’t do it because they don’t have the expertise.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Loudspeakers that both create and reproduce music what’s not to like.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All bass alignments are resonators, with the exception of the sealed box. And maybe dipoles? I mean Qes+Qms describes the dominant resonance of a woofer. Woofers are just bells that are damped until they sound like transducers.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have actually heard some speakers like that, I didn’t feel the thrum added anything, I once to my shame sold an amplifier that used a ‘tone wood’ base, fortunately it was technically broken ( I did report the fault to the manufacturer) so I sent it back.
Keith

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have actually heard some speakers like that, I didn’t feel the thrum added anything, I once to my shame sold an amplifier that used a ‘tone wood’ base, fortunately it was technically broken ( I did report the fault to the manufacturer) so I sent it back.
Keith

Keith, off topic but how are you doing with the Danley's? Finding much interest? It's a unique offering and I wonder how it would do in the context of your showroom.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All bass alignments are resonators, with the exception of the sealed box. And maybe dipoles? I mean Qes+Qms describes the dominant resonance of a woofer. Woofers are just bells that are damped until they sound like transducers.
Well, maybe that's what they mean by tuning the cabinet? I should hope they tune the port. There's an "any old port in a storm" joke there somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The pre production ( ugly as hell ) prototypes went off to Hungary for some club/live sound venue, coincidentally I spoke to the Danley U.k. guy just yesterday they are receiving both the HRE and the triangular one, ILE in a month or two both will have revised cosmetics.
To be frank I doubt whether I would ever sell a pair, but I do like them so perhaps a pair for my dotage.
Keith

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Keith, off topic but how are you doing with the Danley's? Finding much interest? It's a unique offering and I wonder how it would do in the context of your showroom.
Just read the spec sheet for the Danley J4-31. Good God 64 drivers and an SPL of 150db. How big would the listening room have to be? Know you don’t have to run it full throttle but Wow! How can you get 64 drivers to work together in a cohesive manner?

MarkS

Major Contributor
Those are outdoor PA speakers, are they not?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
These are the HRE formerly Hyperion, next to the triangular ILE, they are capable.

Keith

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely! Think one of the points I made was others can’t do it because they don’t have the expertise.
Which is typical audiophool nonsense of not understanding the difference of a reproduction, also I haven't seen Yamaha claiming such, could you please link a source where they do?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New review: Lowther Almira speakers:

Yikes!

(Note the subjective impressions track very well with the horrifying measurements).

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Close the thread we have a winner.
Keith

garyrc

Lowther Almira Loudspeaker Lab Report www.hifinews.com
1222low.llab1.jpg

Seeing this result, along with those cited earlier in this thread, reinforces my impression that we need a set of measures that explain more of the variance in preferences and subjective reactions to speakers.

Smoothness of response, or the lack of it, doesn't explain enough.

Hi Fi news praises the following in these speakers:

"Doc plays trumpet, and I knew it would reveal as much as anything I could feed the Lowther Almiras. As with Herb Alpert albums, his arrangements of 'Fever', 'Monday, Monday' and other standards or hits-of-the-day are big band interpretations which use the entire bandwidth of a system.

As expected, the Almiras had no trouble conveying the crisp, sharp staccatos on the livelier tracks, such as 'Trumpets And Crumpets', the undeniable speed of the transients as hot as you'd want them to be. When the music turned slow and moody, however, the lack of deep, massive bass deprived the kettle drums on 'Fever' of their weight and presence. It was frustrating, because I heard so much of the old Lowthers in there, waiting to escape.

Looking Forward
A better performance came with Confederate Railroad's eponymous debut [Atlantic 82335-2], one of my favourite 'modern country' albums (although it's now 30 years old). 'Trashy Women' lilted along, as sardonic as ever, the pedal steel crystal clear. And why this venerable album? Because what I unfashionably call 'redneck bass' is about twang, not bulk, and it did nothing to embarrass Lowther's Almira."

So, these sound like the strong suits of horns in the midrange and treble, where the frequency response is very uneven, but not in the bass, which doesn't seem to engage.

In my early days as an audiophile (1960s, 1970s) people felt fine about using tone controls, with which one could smooth out gross anomalies in response. Now we have Audyssey, Dirac, and Trinnov (in ascending order of effectiveness??), so some improvement in smoothness can be had, but little, if anything, can be done to provide, "undeniable speed of the transients as hot as you'd want them to be," and "crisp, sharp staccatos on the livelier tracks."

Here we have the truly horrible looking frequency response of the improperly placed (IMO) Klipschorn, up on a furniture dolly, outside, with no boundary gain, and probably no room gain, under circumstances that would probably reduce bass response about 6 dB below that of Klipsch's "in close proximity of a room corner, but toe-in permissible."
819Klipfig04.jpg

Klipschorn, Some EQ, sealed in corner, 1/6 octave smoothing, one microphone position (not recommended)
sub takes over below 60 Hz (sub curve not shown), so, when sub is used, Klipschorn frequencies below 60 Hz are made to roll off at about 12 dB per octave, compared to what is shown in this graph.
1670587280297.png

Same as above but with 8 mic positions averaged, response above 43Hz only, with room curve similar to Harmon speaker/room curve, 1/3 octave smoothing.
1670589066376.png

To my ears, this sounds about right for orchestral music, and I love the precise transient response, ultra dynamic sound, detail, and as a friend put it, "free floating" sound.

Attachments

• 1670587695950.png
    1670587695950.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 1670589035172.png
    1670589035172.png
    94 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Top Bottom