• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://pearlacoustics.com/

I’ll wager it’s a design like these, for which you will never see a designer release measurements. Could just be a prejudice of mine of course; what right do I to say that stuffing a car audio speaker into a plywood box and agreeing with your self that it sounds good enough to warrant a £4500 price tag isn’t a valid approach?

egellings

Major Contributor
My impression of the Klipsch Horn sound was that the bass was punchy and did not go low, midrange was a bit forward and treble was also a bit overdone. Not a fan. Gotta love the efficiency, though.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My impression of the Klipsch Horn sound was that the bass was punchy and did not go low, midrange was a bit forward and treble was also a bit overdone. Not a fan. Gotta love the efficiency, though.
The first Klipsch Horn that I heard on a 35W/Ch Hitachi integrated sounded snappy and fantastic with this song. A bit of a bright sounding song for some. The owner kept playing the song every time I visited because it sounded so good but as you say on some material it sounds a bit off.

egellings

Major Contributor
It's in the ear of the beholder, I guess. Whatever tickles your nun-handles.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
$15k, and they can't recess the drivers & binding posts?!??

Ah, but you're neglecting the fact that, "Each driver is equiped with an L-shaped outer ring made from sound-absorbing wood." :rolleyes:

For anyone who hasn't scrolled down far enough to see it there is an output measurement of sorts on the product page:

Frequency-Response-Multico-ML68.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
Ah, but you're neglecting the fact that, "Each driver is equiped with an L-shaped outer ring made from sound-absorbing wood." :rolleyes:

:oops: I was thinking about what you could do with sound-absorbing wood, like lowering the SPL so you'd have to turn up the volume...then I realised it said L-shaped and :confused: ...wtf. L-shaped ring. ....................................Mus' be Lord Of The Rings or something.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:oops: I was thinking about what you could do with sound-absorbing wood, like lowering the SPL so you'd have to turn up the volume...then I realised it said L-shaped and :confused: ...wtf. L-shaped ring. ....................................Mus' be Lord Of The Rings or something.

It just means it has an L-shaped cross-sectional profile, so that it wraps around the edge of the driver. Look at the pictures on the product page if you don't understand what I mean.

mtg90

They are my own measurements taken on a 10' tall motorized turntable I recently built. Measurements are taken at 2m (graphs adjusted to 2.83v/1m level), gated at 14ms, 1/48th octave smoothing.

mtg90

Here is the spin data for both,

Though I'm not sure it's worth clogging up the forum with separate threads for such trash measuring cheap PA speakers unless people really want to see the rest of the graphs on these two speakers. They are a true mess, can be literally headache inducing trying to follow the lines.

Attachments

• LYX SPA8PAS - Spin.zip
    75.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Rockville SPG88 - Spin.zip
    75.2 KB · Views: 48

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
They are my own measurements taken on a 10' tall motorized turntable I recently built. Measurements are taken at 2m (graphs adjusted to 2.83v/1m level), gated at 14ms, 1/48th octave smoothing.
What measurement software are you using?

amper42

Major Contributor
Here's the B&W 606 measured in my 12x13x9' office without EQ. It's the least attractive Bookshelf FR I have measured in the room. Sound United has their hands full taking over this speaker line. :p

BW606 REW.png

As a comparison, the Revel M105 below sounds better in the same room and appears to have a more downward sloping curve (than the BW606 mess). Both measurements captured with REW at 75dB at a distance of 7 feet. Next step is apply EQ to M105 to study if it makes a positive audible impact. The BW 606 is 2dB more sensitive than the Revel M105.

M105.png

Top Bottom