• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still think Vittora could potentially sound very good taking the quality X-over and drivers used into consideration
They don't. I heard them in a system set up by Greg himself.

As you suggest, Volti loudspeakers are nice furniture and garbage transducers.

Sonny1

I've never heard a Zu that I thought was remotely what a proper loudspeaker should sound like. Yet they have a cult following. Sean is a super nice guy though.
I agree and I feel bad whoever someone asks me about my opinion of Zu, because Sean is such a good guy. I just tell people they have a unique live sound and many people like them. Like anything, I encourage people to hear them in person but the measurements of Zu speakers are scary. They have a cool look and the company has a very cool vibe. The sound isn’t to my liking but they seem to play pretty loud.

30 Ounce

To be fair, Sony and Stereophile explained that the far field measuring technique does not represent how this will sound (or measure) in it’s intended desktop application. I wish they would have simulated a desktop and measured that way but it probably opens a Pandora’s box of measuring each speaker in its ideal setup. Rooms, desktops, mixing consoles have so much influence on what we end up hearing.

thewas

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony corp. has a statement to make... active SA-Z1 https://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-sa-z1-nearfield-active-speaker-system-measurements
Price 8000$/pair

What a mess, but weirdly the vertical directivity is much smoother despite the tweeter array

The only good thing I can see is that they are so ugly and expenseive that no-one will buy them!

Sony corp. has a statement to make... active SA-Z1 https://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-sa-z1-nearfield-active-speaker-system-measurements
Price 8000$/pair

The only good thing I can see is that they are so ugly and expenseive that no-one will buy them!

What a mess, but weirdly the vertical directivity is much smoother despite the tweeter array, so one could still turn them to side. :p

221SAZ1-Fig6.jpg

Top Bottom