• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

peanuts

frequency_on1530.gif

Zu audio continued, first edition druid.
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/zucable_druid/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

wje

Forum Donor
I heard some Zu Audio... Dirty Weekends, I think?... at Capital Audiofest and they were really, really bad sounding.

I think the room may have been too large for the speakers, so perhaps that exacerbated things, but oooooooof. The tonality was all wrong. It sounded like bizarre EQ was being applied. Like a kid had played around with the sliders on one of those big old 1970s 31-band equalizers.

I felt the same way in the Zu room. I couldn't believe how large their room was - it was as if they found them some last minute space and quickly had them move their gear into that room. On the other hand, I wasn't too impressed with the room by Overture AV where they had the $65,000 Magicos set up. It was being pushed by $100K+ of Esoteric gear and just sounded off a bit. A guy from Esoteric vame in and fiddled with the clock on the gear and the sound timing really didnt improve. Granted, not that I'd be able to come up with $200K to have purchased that gear anyways. :D

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Losses were in excess of contents coverage. Whether this loss was covered or not is a matter of interpretation. The house was beyond economic repair and was eventually torn down. I live in a different part of town now.

Harvey?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Winners and still champions: The Glorious Auratones!:

5CPair-large.jpg

1320797.png

Designed to sound like the worst-case-scenario car radio.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ The Horrortones :)

Yes, but in fairness (and as you implied), they were designed for a very important job: to mix the (car) radio AM hits. If it sounded good on the Horrortones, it sounded good in the car.

1582333055488.png

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Still better than Bose.

Robin L

Master Contributor
^^^ The Horrortones :)

Yes, but in fairness (and as you implied), they were designed for a very important job: to mix the (car) radio AM hits. If it sounded good on the Horrortones, it sounded good in the car.

View attachment 51213
Hey, if "Q" sez it's good.

1290167195_745013.jpg

Just saw his biodoc on Netflix. The Dude's got dual hearing aids.

[Not that I mean Ouincy Jones any disrespect. Guess this reminds me of Neil Young and Pono].

Robin L

Master Contributor
I reckon he's probably earned them. He's been around and listening to and working with music and musicians for a long, long time.
Yeah, it's seriously crazy the man's still alive.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Putter

Forum Donor
Wow, the -6 point is 200hz?

And they're selling those for 80 thousand euro?

That's really the point vs. the white van special or the rack system cheapies. It's spending serious money to get a piece of crap that you have to convince yourself that a different set of speaker wire or interconnect or power conditioner or ........ will make them sound better which it does for a short time due to expectation bias, eventually ending with you selling for another overpriced and hyped piece of crap because you bought into another story.

I suspect I've just written the raison d'etre for Audiosciencereview.

P.S. I found this site by googling 'audio science' after reading a few Audio Critic's online. I figured there had to be some group out there who didn't live in the country of Subjectivistan where it's all good and the only reliable source is your own ears.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, the -6 point is 200hz?
Read the text.
Ignore the LF roll-off below 500Hz – an artefact of the short measurement time window resulting from the 2m measurement distance
Still looks like a crap in room un-gated response though, over 10db swings over 1K.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
JBL K2 S9900, of course not really bad but imho disappointing for being the most expensive? Harman flagship:

View attachment 54088 View attachment 54089

From https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher_stereo/jbl-k2_s9900_19289

And they loved it!

Fazit
Wen‘s interessiert, wo der legendäre Ruf der großen JBL-Lautsprecher herkommt, der möge sich mal diesen unfassbaren Lautsprecher anhören: Die K2 S9900 ist ein Auflösungswunder erster Güte, spielt völlig souverän und gelassen, wirkt tonal freundlich und ist ein so rundes und fein abgeschmecktes Gesamtkunstwerk, wie ich es selten erlebt habe.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which I even believe in this case more than in the most usual cases were modern hifi press seems to praise everything, as such a big loudspeaker/horn is of course really impressive, still for me quite disappointing, especially the distortion measurement.

Top Bottom