• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst and best bad movies you've every accidentally watched?

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Think guilt pleasure not actually good but you enjoy them, or were just all out bad.

Worst: Iron Sky. I thought I was going to watch Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, which I expected to be at best a bad movie maybe guilt pleasure. But what I got was so much worse. From what I remember it was essentially a Nazi snuff film; they survived on a base on the far side of the moon. It even had a scene where they 'turned' a black guy white with 'Ablinisierer' serum. I don't remember anything else that made me scream, but that's about 7 steps too far past anything that could be ironic or funny into just actually worshiping/racist in my book. I've actually had friends that had the exact same thing happen to them, saw this on TV and thought it was Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, but was Iron Sky. Anyone else?

Best: I watched some 'weird' but ended up being actual guilty pleasure stuff during light insomnia fueled nights in college, some gems can come on around 1-4am. Ginger Snaps is one that comes to the top of my mind.

Wish I had time during this adulating phase of life to accidentally watch good or bad movies. :)
Though I would guess all of the high quality TV we have now has probably replaced that entertainment for me.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Think guilt pleasure not actually good but you enjoy them, or were just all out bad.

Worst: Iron Sky. I thought I was going to watch Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, which I expected to be at best a bad movie maybe guilt pleasure. But what I got was so much worse. From what I remember it was essentially a Nazi snuff film; they survived on a base on the far side of the moon. It even had a scene where they 'turned' a black guy white with 'Ablinisierer' serum. I don't remember anything else that made me scream, but that's about 7 steps too far past anything that could be ironic or funny into just actually worshiping/racist in my book. I've actually had friends that had the exact same thing happen to them, saw this on TV and thought it was Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, but was Iron Sky. Anyone else?

Best: I watched some 'weird' but ended up being actual guilty pleasure stuff during light insomnia fueled nights in college, some gems can come on around 1-4am. Ginger Snaps is one that comes to the top of my mind.

Wish I had time during this adulating phase of life to accidentally watch good or bad movies. :)
Though I would guess all of the high quality TV we have now has probably replaced that entertainment for me.

Have to say I enjoyed Iron Sky -- or at least parts of it... another 'bad movie' (much older) which has a similar IMDB rating that I rather like is Barbarella. There are more, of course, all too embarrassing to admit -- so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

paulraphael

Not accidental ... years ago some friends and went on a bender watching the worst movies we could find. It's hard to name a winner, but one that stood out was "I Spit On Your Grave," which was a standard revenge drama in which a woman tracks down and slaughters each of the men that assaulted her in a savage rape. It was bad less because you've seen this story many times before than because of the amateurism of ... everything. The photography is incredibly awkward, the writing is so flat it's almost as if the screenwriter was some kind of early AI, and it's the only movie I've seen with no music soundtrack at all.

But the number one worst movie ... I'll join every other amateur critic and say The Room. Everything about this movie is just jaw-dropping. I know people who have watched it over 10 times, claiming it reveals new treasures on each viewing ... and keeps getting worse. I've seen it twice. Would see it again, but it's just so damn long ...

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't think "Iron Sky" was the best thing I've ever seen, but I thought it was great they were able to bring such an ambitious vision to life via crowdfunding. An element of comedy, satire and the like is being able speak about the unspeakable, and goodness knows, Mel Brooks is a master of offending pretty much everyone in the name of comedy, and "Blazing Saddles" is as relevant today as it ever was. And who else could turn a horror like the Inquisition into a catchy song and dance routine?

hex168

Battle Beneath the Earth. In the "so bad it's good" category.

mansr

Major Contributor
Worst: Iron Sky. I thought I was going to watch Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, which I expected to be at best a bad movie maybe guilt pleasure. But what I got was so much worse. From what I remember it was essentially a Nazi snuff film; they survived on a base on the far side of the moon. It even had a scene where they 'turned' a black guy white with 'Ablinisierer' serum. I don't remember anything else that made me scream, but that's about 7 steps too far past anything that could be ironic or funny into just actually worshiping/racist in my book.
Is there another Iron Sky film out there? That description doesn't fit the one I saw at all. Even if you didn't find it funny, surely you can recognise a piss-take as blatant as that one. Sure, it's not as hilarious as Life of Brian, say, but it has its moments. The Sarah Palin caricature was pretty brilliant, IMO.

As for bad films, do the ones featured on MST3K count?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best bad movie ever: Braindead or Dead Alive depending upon where it was released. Billed as the goriest horror film of all time it just comes across as hilarious. The lawnmower scene is epic. It’s one of Peter Jackson’s first films.

Martin

danzilla31

Forum Donor

Best The Wraith that Charlie Sheen movie where he's a ghost killing his killers in a ghost hot rod car through street racing. Loved that one it just worked

Worst: Split that one with the genetic experiment where they create the female hybrid and sneak it out of the lab. I usually like horror movies but it was tasteless and disgusting to me especially when one scientist tries to do it with the expirement and later the expirement turns into a male and rapes the female scientist just grossed me out man

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best bad movie ever: Braindead or Dead Alive depending upon where it was released. Billed as the goriest horror film of all time it just comes across as hilarious. The lawnmower scene is epic. It’s one of Peter Jackson’s first films.

Martin
When you start out with a Sumatran Death Monkey and go on from there, yeah hilarious.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there another Iron Sky film out there? That description doesn't fit the one I saw at all. Even if you didn't find it funny, surely you can recognise a piss-take as blatant as that one. Sure, it's not as hilarious as Life of Brian, say, but it has its moments. The Sarah Palin caricature was pretty brilliant, IMO.

As for bad films, do the ones featured on MST3K count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Sky
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Sky:_The_Coming_Race

see also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wreck:_In_the_Pirkinning

ta240

Major Contributor
....Worst: Iron Sky. I thought I was going to watch Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow,....

I enjoyed Iron Sky but I can imagine that if I was expecting Sky Captain it would be a bit of a shock. For me it was bonkers enough to be fun.

I've turned off plenty that were just way too bad.

Roboshark was one of the best ones:

Top Bottom