• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst academic writing of the year award.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Wow!

Try and read a few paragraphs of this paper. We don't need to discuss any politics or anything of some of the topics mentioned. Just look at the writing and try to comprehend what the heck these paragraphs are supposed to be saying. Someone worked on this and thought it meant something and someone published it.

At best it reminds me of a grad student who has been pulling all-nighters for two weeks would write this and after finally sleeping for a couple of nights wouldn't understand what they had written.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me of the old axiom, “if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” Or in this case, baffle them with indecipherably obtuse writing.

Martin

dc655321

Major Contributor
It’s difficult to distill thoughts into efficient expression. Definitely a learned skill.

That’s bloody painful to parse, though… :oops:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is from 2018! Imagine what kind of gobbledygook they will be writing nowadays :facepalm:

Koloth

Wow!

Try and read a few paragraphs of this paper. We don't need to discuss any politics or anything of some of the topics mentioned. Just look at the writing and try to comprehend what the heck these paragraphs are supposed to be saying. Someone worked on this and thought it meant something and someone published it.

At best it reminds me of a grad student who has been pulling all-nighters for two weeks would write this and after finally sleeping for a couple of nights wouldn't understand what they had written.

Dont get me wrong: The writing is atrocious, especially for, what I assume, are native speakers, and these people clearly have a major theoretical screw loose. However I thought it was comparably easy and straightforward to follow (given the Butler comparison) and I get what they're saying in those two paragraphs. It's not like they're saying a lot anyway...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dont get me wrong: The writing is atrocious, especially for, what I assume, are native speakers, and these people clearly have a major theoretical screw loose. However I thought it was comparably easy and straightforward to follow (given the Butler comparison) and I get what they're saying in those two paragraphs. It's not like they're saying a lot anyway...
That may all be good and well, but what is academic about any of it? It’s just a bunch of gish galloping. No proof, no real argument, just posing a bunch of nonsense.

DonR

Major Contributor
Assertions without citations in an academic paper should have disqualified it immediately.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Assertions without citations in an academic paper should have disqualified it immediately.
Just check the situation that are there. These are mostly of equal “value”. It’s just a pyramid scheme :facepalm:

mansr

Major Contributor

Wow!

Was that written by the Postmodernism Generator?

Robin L

Master Contributor

Wow!

Well, that sure passes the PC sniff test.

I really like that mom uses the term "PF".

She's a little to the left of Emma Goldman, FWIW.

Anyway, and dodging any tribal left/right issues that may emerge in the upcoming posts, here is Weird Al in a lesson in deep euphemism and TED talks:

Last edited:

Koloth

That may all be good and well, but what is academic about any of it? It’s just a bunch of gish galloping. No proof, no real argument, just posing a bunch of nonsense.

Since I havent read the entire paper I cant judge if there truly arent any arguments. I wouldnt be surprised if that turned out to be the case, however its not unusual at all for the entry paragraphs of a text to be devoid of argument.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's not that bad, really. This doesn't seem like it should have been published but it is perfectly understandable with a little effort. The problem is that it is super basic. I would expect this from overzealous freshmen at a humanities program. (I am someone that has graded many such papers.) The writer is simply trying to do too much in super simplified terms. You really can't charge this with being esoteric as it is not really engaging with any particular theoretical argument that is in contention or even using any real technical terms. Real theory brackets, it does not try to do everything and precision is a marker of professionalism. The writer is not really wrong in what he or she is saying--but he or she really isn't saying anything to begin with.

The writer of the blog sounds just as dumb to me with his comments. If this sends him to a frenzy maybe academia is not for him. Usually these types are angry failed or failing academics projecting their insecurities onto others.

If you want professional bad writing, read some Homi Bhabha.

Edit: just saw that the blogger used to teach at U. Chicago. Pretty surprising. Usually someone with that kind of a gig understands academic writing and doesn't take themself too seriously or get agitated by work such as this that will never be taken seriously. (Why would such a person be reading this????) But if someone from that school is still railing against "postmodernism" (which is no longer a thing or something that any serious academic has debated in 20 years, unless you are teaching Jameson that one class) I think they really aren't in the pit any more, hence frustrations. There is no clearer way to say that the last time you were were professionally engaged in the discourse was the 1990s.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Yeah it isn't hard to follow. But I'm not inclined toward the "omg look at this" style of hyperventilation from the OP-linked blog that cites the offending paragraphs, so I stopped reading when I got to "woke buzzwords" used non-ironically.

Damn, ninja'd by framspambot: what they said.

Last edited:
Top Bottom