• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

World's longest bridge (55km) is opening October 24th after being built for the last ten years!

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
After the Great Wall of China this is probably the second greatest wonders of this planet world as we know it called Earth.

The Great Pyramid of Egypt I would rank @ number seven.
And the world's tallest skyscraper in Dubai, @ number sixty-six million and ninety-nine.

In speaker's design the number one spot for the greatest ever would probably be Bose, and QUAD in second. ...Klipsch third. ...Cerwin Vega @ number one billion.

And the top World's DAC; MSB, then Schiit around eighty-eighth spot. Number two we are still working on it...in progress because technology in audio science never stops...in particular when it comes to digital audio.
For analog it all has to do with mechanical engineering; gravity, relativity and tangential force or theory of everything...Space, Time, Physics and Mathematics. ...Quantum elasticity.

But that bridge above, just about to open, is a marvel of scientific engineering the world over all across. And how many replies from the digit legit auidiophila scientific community do we get? Zero.
_____

"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."

- Stephen William Hawking

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny."

"I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers."

"Science is not only a disciple of reason but, also, one of romance and passion."

"It matters if you just don't give up."

"It is not clear that intelligence has any long-term survival value."

- Stephen Hawking
_____

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera ...

* Gravitational singularity.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I admit; I am surprised to see no reply in this thread so far.
This is big, this is a huge design construction, this is hugely beneficial for China, etcetera. This is very very very excellent in many aspects of future positive advancements.

Sure, it's not SpaceX and Elon Musk and Mars. It's even bigger because it's happening the opening on the 24th...few more hours to go, and it's happening here on Earth!

This bridge is no small peanuts ladies and gentlemen; @ 55km long it's the longest in the whole wide world, and it goes above and under water. We are @ the threshold of a new frontier between above and below our oceans in people's transportation. It is not teleportation but it is masses transportation between lands across large water's surfaces. ...All of that by wheels! ...Like wheels from cars, trucks, buses, ...electric vehicles on wheels.

It's not flying electric saucers yet, but fifty years more it will.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Read that this is more about integration of Hong Kong into mainland china than real need.

It is an impossible thing to pull of here because the costs will be 10X and environmental restrictions and reviews would take years to do.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I would like to have a bridge like that between the mainland and the island where I live.
But, I'm a practical realistic person; the plane would suffice. ...And just rent a Tesla across. ...And screw the ferry.

China is open for business, so yes that bridge is bridging expansion.
But what a bridge!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
China is full of mega structures and prestige engineering achievements, check out their high speed rail network which has been built very quickly or things like the Shanghai-Yangtze crossings. I sometimes go to Nantong and the drive over the Shanghai-Yangtze crossings is very impressive. I work in shipping and despite lingering assumptions the Chinese design houses and yards are developing and building (and have been for a while now) some deeply impressive designs.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
And China has some of the most picturesque enchanting natural decors this side of the globe. And the opposite is also true in big cities where the vision is limited caused by the gloomy clouds of grey dust.

But only in China can you walk on the Great Wall, nowhere else on this planet but there.
That in itself is . . . Power of the Chinese people.

If you look in another direction, like Dubai and Abu Dhabi and Quatar and Riyadh, they don't have decor sets like mountains, forests, cliffs, waterfalls, squirrels, moose, panda bears, ... what they have is sand, the ocean on the coast, and oil. ...And of course Bugattis and tall nice looking skyscrapers with gold plated bathrooms on top.

London? ...The Beatles.
New York? ...T Tower.
Hollywood? ...Marvel comics flicks.
Canada? ...Cannabis.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you look in another direction, like Dubai and Abu Dhabi and Riyadh and Quatar, they don't have decor sets like mountains, forests, cliffs, waterfalls, squirrels, moose, panda bears, ... what they have is sand, the ocean on the coast, and oil. ...And of course Bugattis and tall nice looking skyscrapers with gold plated bathrooms on top.
My first trip to Dubai was very strange. For one thing, it was really odd to see far more foreigners than locals. And far more empty buildings/apartments than people.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Htmmm, strange indeed. That's probably why they have a world's investors conference business meeting, 'Davos in the Desert', in Riyadh, to expand all across, including blending with the tourists incognito.

A friend was a Dubai resident, a Canadian engineer in underground oil pipelines.
David L. ...He lives on the Island not far from me. ...A mountaineer, cyclist, ...hobbies.
His wife was an angel, she passed away years ago, she was very young...cancer.
He has two fantastic intelligent kids, a man and a woman.

He brought me some educative material from Dubai.

* It's hard to turn a blind eye to the latest news not far from there.
I was just reading an article from Sky News (World)
For info only, not to discuss in my China/Honk Gonk Bride's thread. :)
-> https://news.sky.com/story/sky-sources-jamal-khashoggis-body-parts-found-11533202

Bonus:
160426104854-lucky-knot-bridge-next-architects-exlarge-169.jpg

Last edited:

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No doubt it's an achievement in engineering. Pretty sure it'll benefit logistics a bit. But this is all built at cost of the society, just to integrate HK to become "just another Chinese city".

HK$120B building a bridge, do we have enough housing? Nope; Can people afford a place called home? Nope; Do we have enough hospitals? Nope. Do we have land and capital to do all these sh_ts? Yes. Do general public really need this bridge? I don't think so.

We have all the eye-candies you could't think of, we also have lots of people living in cages/cells that you dare not to imagine in your life.

You simply don't need another medal or honor while hopelessly lying on sick-bed, struggle to live through the next moment.

Speaking as a 20-ish native HK-er.

Last edited:
Top Bottom