• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

World's best midranges

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In fashion doesn't amount to much. We only have one spin from a small previous gen ATC to go off of. Maybe the scm25, 50, 100 measure better :)

I for one have never heard it, but the atc mids are the most well known out there. Would love to see how it measures.
German magazines have measured some models of the current generation, linearity and directivity still aren't great, for example:

1619342493374.png

Source: https://www.connect.de/testbericht/aus-dem-messlabor-1076912-6467.html

Too much "Hifi tuning", for mixing/mastering would recommend using them with EQ.

PKAudio

I had an opportunity to measure SCM40A. It was measured in normal living room so there was no chance to make good measurement conditions which resulted in mild reflections (the ripples in 1kHz area). Responses below were taken from 1m, mic placed in the mid distance between tweeter and the mid, gating 4ms applied. Despite the reflections it is easy to see that midrange performance and off-axis responses are very nice and consistent. It is just overall tuning that is not optimal. From short listening experience the midrange was nothing special, but this might have been caused by overall sound balance and the fact it was active. I find B&W FST midrange (802D2), Scan Speak 12MU better, though they do not measure that good (I wish 12MU would be more linear on the paper).

SCM40A H 0-90.png

DI powe etc.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite the reflections it is easy to see that midrange performance and off-axis responses are very nice and consistent. It is just overall tuning that is not optimal.
Exactly, like you show nice drivers but mediocre tuning.

JRS

Major Contributor

dfuller

Major Contributor

JRS

Major Contributor
That's damned impressive. Wonder how much they cost?
Not for the faint of wallet--from 500 (paper) to about 650 (Be) per piece. Available thru at least a couple of No American vendors. I'm thinking my next project might be a 3 way :) Interestingly, the proprietor was a lead engineer at Morel for transducer design, and like the tweeters they do BlieSMa gets everything right when it comes to making a good motor.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where would you high-pass?
The mid-ranges span a range from 250 to ~4,000Hz but that Satori seems more suited to a 4-way and covering only the upper-midrange.
Low end extension for me is not exceeding 1% second harmonic (or third if that’s higher) at 100dB (this is just a random parameter I made up). So, I’d say you could use the Satori down to 600Hz-700Hz.

As for what drivers play what frequencies, I just go by dispersion. Since I would cross to subs anyway, that means the woofer driver has to play from around that crossover frequency up to 600Hz-700Hz without beaming, and it’s possible to find such a driver.

JRS

Major Contributor
Low end extension for me is not exceeding 1% second harmonic (or third if that’s higher) at 100dB (this is just a random parameter I made up). So, I’d say you could use the Satori down to 600Hz-700Hz.

As for what drivers play what frequencies, I just go by dispersion. Since I would cross to subs anyway, that means the woofer driver has to play from around that crossover frequency up to 600Hz-700Hz without beaming, and it’s possible to find such a driver.
So a quick question--say I wanted to use the BLieSMa midrange (silk or Be, not sure), could you offer an opinion about mating 15" woofer such as the Audio Elegance TD15H to a 3" mid--it seems like a radical transistion but probaly no more so than a 6.5" midbass to a typical tweeter. IIRC the H series of woofers are the "subbiest" of the bunch with a higher mass and BL product than the rest of the line, but still considered bass/midbass driver. Just happen to have pair already in bass bins. If I were doing the project from scratch, I'd be inclined to use a 10" woofer from 200-700, using the AE woofers for true bass chores. Not sure why but AE seems to have taken down the FR graphs. Been several years but IIRC was passably flat to a KHz. Will be all active in any event. Thanks. PS: Looking at a 500 to 650 range for the XO)

(Boy if I could get this to work I'd have a 95dB efficient system, albeit active and tri-amped; more importantly able to hit 115 dB cleanly for those get your ya-ya's out moments.)

Last edited:

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So a quick question--say I wanted to use the BLieSMa midrange (silk or Be, not sure), could you offer an opinion about mating 15" woofer such as the Audio Elegance TD15H to a 3" mid--it seems like a radical transistion but probaly no more so than a 6.5" midbass to a typical tweeter.
15" would be a stretch, the difference in directivities would be more like an 8" and 1" dome tweeter, not good.

12" works out OK in this design, but the volt does have a waveguide
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/open-source-monkey-box.327594/

Attachments

• osmc_photo_readme.jpg
    osmc_photo_readme.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 250

JRS

Major Contributor
15" would be a stretch, the difference in directivities would be more like an 8" and 1" dome tweeter, not good.

12" works out OK in this design, but the volt does have a waveguide
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/open-source-monkey-box.327594/
Lovely speakers. Bet they sound great too.

But yea that was my fear--it's more like a 8"/1" situation--which can sound good, maybe even very good, but as Troel puts it will always sound like an 8"/1" tht once you pick out, can't ever be unheard. Seems like SB acoustics has a really deep catalog of bass drivers, sure I could find something to run with. Just wish I knew somewhere to get the cabinet panels CNC'd.

Top Bottom