• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

World's best DAC Dongle for DAC quality only? Driving car line-in, so amp performance irrelevant?

OP
D

davidnash

you might want to invest into something like this: https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-audio-dsp/cdsp-8x12-dl
Mmmm. I looked at that thing 4 years ago when I was upgrading my last car, and decided probably the most useful aspect was time delay, but that probably wasn't worth the money.

But now you are annoyingly getting me thinking that's probably the way forward! So I now I need to find USB-C to SPDIF/TOSlink cable... Does that even exist...

And we're way over budget now, haha!

Thanks! :)

If you want PEQ get the Qudelix
Or maybe I should save the cash for the speakers and just get this... PEQ would be nice over BMW's 7 band EQ...

But this chart suggests it may not be great for line level 2v output:
index.php

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a multich setup I'd think some more control might be in order....but it's still a car and you're sitting in the front left corner :)

ps Maybe the front right corner :)

OP
D

davidnash

Yes, right hand, and probably 8 hours ahead of you, so at nearly 4am I must go to bed now, up in 5hrs... Thanks so much all for the advice. If anyone has any other suggestions please do let me know!

The one thing this has got me thinking is to consider the other features more than just some pure SQ hunt. Such as PEQ / multichannel control / external mic in for calls, etc etc

That was what pushed me into the RME ADI-2 - not only v good SQ, but a ton of other useful features. Maybe I need to find the equivalent in a dongle/car mounted situation

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, right hand, and probably 8 hours ahead of you, so at nearly 4am I must go to bed now, up in 5hrs... Thanks so much all for the advice. If anyone has any other suggestions please do let me know!

The one thing this has got me thinking is to consider the other features more than just some pure SQ hunt. Such as PEQ / multichannel control / external mic in for calls, etc etc
What I'd consider is simply the best content I can find, as well recorded (despite media format) as possible....

OP
D

davidnash

What popular DACs allow mic-in other than the Qudelix 5K?

Do any of those allow USB-C charging cable to be plugged into them, and to provide that power back to the phone?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What popular DACs allow mic-in other than the Qudelix 5K?

Do any of those allow USB-C charging cable to be plugged into them, and to provide that power back to the phone?
Why would that be advantageous?

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would suggest spending £10 on an Apple USB-C dongle and £90 on a DSP.

Spend the rest on animu.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FFS why if it has a usb slot would you suggest a dongle would help?

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FFS why if it has a usb slot would you suggest a dongle would help?
Unless I have misunderstood, a dongle is what he wants to use.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have to assume he's using a smartphone as a source and wants a better DAC than his phone's.

OP
D

davidnash

Yes, still didn't make it to bed...

Android phone is source, but is doing sat-nav duties as well while driving. Which is why a dongle that can take USB-C power in, and provide it to the phone is useful (so my GPS doesn't run out of battery). And mic-in is useful, because the current £20 dongle I have which does take USB-C power in and provide the power to the phone mutes my car mic for some reason (so when making calls, have to unplug it).

I have another dongle that doesn't take USB-C power in, and that doesn't mute the car mic (so car mic is active when making calls). My assumption is certain dongles tell my phone they are providing mic services when they are not, and thus phone mutes car mic, which is why having a mic-in (and an external mic which I already have) would solve this issue.

So having a dongle which takes USB-C power in, and allows a mic to be plugged in would solve both issues.

A dongle is needed because ultimately I need to get audio out of my phone's USB-C slot into my car's 3.5mm line-in. And I don't want to do this with a desktop size unit, just something that can hang off the phone.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, yes I've seen that recommended a lot on this forum. But I feel there must be something better - I know Dongle form factor will be a limiting factor, but given my in-home DAC rivals $10k ones, surely I can do better than a $50 one for my car...

Unless you can upgrade your ears, you're not going to hear any difference between the Sonata HD Pro and any of the more expensive dongles you're considering.

And at least the THX Onyx seems to unlock the potential of Tidal Masters tracks better than this would?

There is no potential to unlock with MQA. It's largely snake oil.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a few things I don’t understand? What is the point of the 1K Android head unit? Why use the phone for satnav and audio?

Why not make sure the head unit can do all that? If it supports Android Car you can just steam audio to the HU from your phone. Make the HU the center of all. You could also run the audio apps on the HU directly. Just need a way to get the data there, either via cable, wifi or 4g/5g modem.
Mmmm. I looked at that thing 4 years ago when I was upgrading my last car, and decided probably the most useful aspect was time delay, but that probably wasn't worth the money.
That is hardly the only useful ascpect. It lets you perfectly integrate all speakers and get a flat response. For that you need far more than just time delay. Peq’s per speaker unit, filters etc. Lookup what Dirac can do in your car!

Kevbaz

In terms of USB DAC dongle I think the Hidizs S8 measures as good as any dongle out there and rivals some very good desktop DACs.
I used to be very much into car audio, I would make sure you are focusing mostly on good speakers and a solid amp with sufficient power.
When I was friends with people who competed in SPL and reference class car audio competitions, good speakers and EQ was the common factor along with amps with sufficient clean power.
Kev

bmwe39528i

Kinda similar question I guess, but what's the best way to bypass the headunit?
I.e. to use phone Bluetooth to send signal/music to the anp wirelessly?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Also wondering what dongle did you end up going with in the end?
Suggest you start a new thread with your specific questions. The OP only post on one day and has not returned for almost a year. Just a suggestion Sir.

Top Bottom