• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

World’s largest nuclear fusion project

D

Deleted member 65

World’s largest nuclear fusion project begins assembly in France

The world’s largest nuclear fusion project began its five-year assembly phase on Tuesday in southern France, with the first ultra-hot plasma expected to be generated in late 2025.
The €20bn (£18.2bn) Iter project will replicate the reactions that power the sun and is intended to demonstrate fusion power can be generated on a commercial scale. Nuclear fusion promises clean, unlimited power but, despite 60 years of research, it has yet to overcome the technical challenges of harnessing such extreme amounts of energy.
Millions of components will be used to assemble the giant reactor, which will weigh 23,000 tonnes and the project is the most complex engineering endeavour in history. Almost 3,000 tonnes of superconducting magnets, some heavier than a jumbo jet, will be connected by 200km of superconducting cables, all kept at -269C by the world’s largest cryogenic plant. https://www.theguardian.com/environ...clear-fusion-project-under-assembly-in-france

Xombul

Forum Donor
Actually fusion is quite simple to start. You "just" need a couple of high temperature and time o_O

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
World’s largest nuclear fusion project begins assembly in France

The world’s largest nuclear fusion project began its five-year assembly phase on Tuesday in southern France, with the first ultra-hot plasma expected to be generated in late 2025.
The €20bn (£18.2bn) Iter project will replicate the reactions that power the sun and is intended to demonstrate fusion power can be generated on a commercial scale. Nuclear fusion promises clean, unlimited power but, despite 60 years of research, it has yet to overcome the technical challenges of harnessing such extreme amounts of energy.
Millions of components will be used to assemble the giant reactor, which will weigh 23,000 tonnes and the project is the most complex engineering endeavour in history. Almost 3,000 tonnes of superconducting magnets, some heavier than a jumbo jet, will be connected by 200km of superconducting cables, all kept at -269C by the world’s largest cryogenic plant. https://www.theguardian.com/environ...clear-fusion-project-under-assembly-in-france
ITER's goal is net energy not commercial

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Omar Cumming

Fusion power has always been right around the corner-for the last 60 years!:(

Cheers

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, and it is hard to make a case for fusion given the rise of PV solar.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
They'd better hurry up before the virus take over the entire world ...
China should lead in nuclear fusion ... just check them out ...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a fusion reactor could be used to dispose of the radioactive waste from today's fission reactors; some new waste would be generated (from the walls) but the net would be a great reduction

zelig

Forum Donor
I thought there was a guy a few years back who got fusion working in a jam jar, no? Cost him $5.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You've heard the term no doubt, "no need to re-invent the wheel". Well I've sort of had the opinion fusion reactors are an attempt to "re-invent the sun". We can use solar cells to collect energy from our nearby working fusion reactor which is the sun. I also think the attraction to create a fusion reactor is in some ways similar to the old alchemists goal of transmuting baser substances into gold.

My despair is I'm now old enough even if they figured out how to make a workable stable fusion reactor with significant output of excess power tomorrow, I'd not live long enough for it to become our main source of power.

Top Bottom