• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Working With Non-Technical People

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to be very candid: why not call them tasks and projects, then?

If you merely deal with tasks and projects, you don't have a story to share, an O'Reilly book to write and, you aren't invited to speak at conferences full of visionaries.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you merely deal with tasks and projects, you don't have a story to share, an O'Reilly book to write and, you aren't invited to speak at conferences full of visionaries.
I disagree. The word task is very specific to programmers. We know what how to write out a task and do it in a very detailed way. When you tell someone to write out a story, the two sides have a much easier time understanding what is supposed to be accomplished. Words have meaning and the word "story" is understood quite well by everyone we work with. Our development time has sped up considerably using Agile development.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree. The word task is very specific to programmers. We know what how to write out a task and do it in a very detailed way. When you tell someone to write out a story, the two sides have a much easier time understanding what is supposed to be accomplished. Words have meaning and the word "story" is understood quite well by everyone we work with. Our development time has sped up considerably using Agile development.

I am not saying this is a bad approach or concept. It is just that every programming language, every framework, every methodology/philosophy feels it needs to come up with its own sets of special concepts/buzzwords and naming conventions...

weasels

I am not saying this is a bad approach or concept. It is just that every programming language, every framework, every methodology/philosophy feels it needs to come up with its own sets of special concepts/buzzwords and naming conventions...

This has some truth to it, but agile vs. traditional development are one of the few circumstances where it makes sense to use different words because they are actually different things, not just different labels.

A story isn't really the same as a task - as mentioned above task means it's own thing. A story is more like a feature or function written from the user's point of view.

I do think the use of "epic" is too cute for my taste, but I guess "anthology" wouldn't be much better ;)

Top Bottom