• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Work Headphone Solution With Apple Music Streaming

wacomme

Here's my dilemma. At work I don't have a lot of control with my PC running windows 10 - there are many company controls. I can't get iTunes to work, and Equalizer APO does not work even though I can get Tidal (a temporary trial). At home I have a Macbook Air (M1) and it works fine streaming Apple Music hi-rez with Sound Source for EQ. I also have an old iPad which I can connect to the internet at work running iTunes and the Music app. However, I don't have any viable EQ to use on the iPad.

I love the idea of a Rasberry Pi 4 for a music server, but it's PC based. My family's music service is Apple Music; I doubt that will change. And Apple Music doesn't seem to mix well with PC. I have my doubts a Rasberry Pi 4 runs Apple Music. So, instead of a Rasberry I could use something Mac. What options do I have where I can stream or download Apple Music and also have EQ and PEQ files? I'm thinking an old Mac Mini. How old and minimal of a Mac Mini can I go and still have a viable Music App (or iTunes) with an app like Sound Source to run EQ? And then I need a screen; anything super small? OR would a small macbook be better - computer and screen; and how old can I reasonably go?

I would prefer to have something small and compact. My work dac is a Hidezs S9 Pro. Finding a solution for my work PC would be nice, but there's too many central network company barriers, and since I'm restricted to Apple Music, I figure it might be best to stay within the Apple domain.

Top Bottom