• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Words Of Wisdom by John Curl

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Here's how I see the JC thing within an historical context. You had the LNP-2 (not a Curl, but a Dick Burwen design) that was a legitimate professional grade, low noise preamplifier.
I still have a couple of the Burwen UM201 modules used in the LNP-2. Would love a few more.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
OK. Does anyone want to buy my Burwen UM201 modules?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perfect example of how even if you obsess over delusionally audible differences, if you are competent in the things that actually matter, you can still make a good product. If you do those things right, even if you think it's really the 'special sauce' that matters, it comes out OK. (Because that special sauce does....nothing.)

Happens all the time in the world of audio production/mastering too. Some great sounding recordings have come from engineers with ridiculous beliefs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
His A21 amp has functioned faithfully for years, and I have no complaints. But if I knew then what I know now, I might have been afraid to get it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have John's HP3581A (still has his name and phone number on it). Want to buy it?
Does the number still work?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... even more delightfully, it's a landline. Maybe I should charge extra for that piece of history.

The men responsible, the ones from Bell Labs, were serious audio practioners. No nonsense types, for sure. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The men responsible, the ones from Bell Labs, were serious audio practioners. No nonsense types, for sure. :)
Sure, but they betrayed audiophiles everywhere by developing digital audio :D

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but they betrayed audiophiles everywhere by developing digital audio :D

I'm with you, pal. I still wish we had good looking women plugging and unplugging those ATT switchboards. Things went downhill since! Hate digital, for sure! :cool:

gettyimages-1031557866-612x612.jpg

Wanman

You're a gentleman Sergei ...

Let's call the Bybee Quantum Purifier by its real name : " B.S". and anyone defending it, is a manure peddler ...
Not so sure about that. Bruno Putzeys made a blog post about hysteresis distortion/noise due to ferrites at Purify. What if Bybee devices do something similar if enough current is run though them? Reason I ask is I think there may be some anecdotal evidence to the effect that's probably what Bybees do, produce some EMI/RFI noise as a function current. In some cases that could affect audio reproduction in ways that are already pretty well understood. More about that line of reasoning at another audio forum, IIRC. Of course the effect wouldn't be purification, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be some audible effect?

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What if Bybee devices do something similar if enough current is run though them?
They don't. They are low value resistors (the ones I tested were 30 milliohms) wrapped in layers of bullshit and fraud.

It's fraud. Straight up. And fraud of the most transparent sort.

Wanman

If you measured for noise at a fairly high current, maybe your attention would have been drawn to the coating on the cylinder around the resistor? IIUC the resistor was only to provide a small bias voltage across the coating, which then generated the noise.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you measured for noise at a fairly high current, maybe your attention would have been drawn to the coating on the cylinder around the resistor? IIUC the resistor was only to provide a small bias voltage across the coating, which then generated the noise.
Why are you so desperate to believe the bullshit?

It’s fraud. Bybee was a liar. He lied about his background, he lied about his products.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys I have had hands on some Bybee products other than the one SIY tested. It is all BS. Clearly the operative mode of this company. Don't waste time giving it any credence just call it fraudulent crap and move on. People like SIY did the work for everyone. Take advantage of it. Anyone who touts their products are mistaken or trying to con you.

I think the whole saga was over at the DIY audio forums.

Wanman

Guys I have had hands on some Bybee products other than the one SIY tested.
They were tested for EMI/RFI noise production at, say, 10A? If not, then maybe nobody thought of it?

I'll leave off here with one final observation. Here is an graph showing what it takes to bias on a tunnel diode to be used in an oscillator at room temperature:
1712334263702.png

This is not to say I think the coating on the cylinder generated noise by tunneling. Maybe or maybe not. Only point here is that some electronic devices can function at lower than .6v or .7v Looks to me like it might be possible for 300mV to be more than enough voltage to make some noise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom