• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wondering about purchasing a hybrid amplifier

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Does class A matter in a headphone amplifier? I know my Aune x7s is class A but only up to a certain point i think it says on massdrops website i believe it was 235 mw
Clas A, AB maters mostly with conventional speakers or better say they twitters. Shouldn't really matter with headphones.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

You'll plug it in, press play and you will get music out. I think what people are trying to say is that a question of "should I buy X?" will always be met with, "if you want to" . No amount of specs or info will enable anyone to tell you whether something is to your tastes or not.

If it hasnt been measured here or elsewhere, its a pretty obscure brand etc so you are unlikely to get "I have one and its great" . And what use would one user's opinion be to you anyway?

As I said earlier, buying something at that price on a whim , absent of measurements or reviews you trust, is unlikley to end well. Unless there is a cast iron no quibble money back guarantee, I'd pass.

There is a big difference between presenting photographs information specifications about an audio product to a community of people that is about audio and science and me just asking some random person if i should buy something

And last time i checked i haven't asked anywhere in this thread if it sounds great just if its competently designed

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a big difference between presenting photographs information specifications about an audio product to a community of people that is about audio and science and me just asking some random person if i should buy something

And last time i checked i haven't asked anywhere in this thread if it sounds great just if its competently designed

I fear yoiu have reached an impasse with pretty much everyone that has replied thus far. Hope someone can assist you. If someone says it looks competently designed, will you buy it?

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

I fear yoiu have reached an impasse with pretty much everyone that has replied thus far. Hope someone can assist you. If someone says it looks competently designed, will you buy it?

Okay so nobody can judge the competence of the design here nobody can share their input on its build quality component quality etc the entire exercise is fruitless im sorry that i bothered then i wont be posting any future threads or ask anything about anything more

thank you for showing me the light

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Okay so nobody can judge the competence of the design here nobody can share their input on its build quality component quality etc the entire exercise is fruitless im sorry that i bothered then i wont be posting any future threads or ask anything about anything more

thank you for showing me the light

"Here's photos of a car and some of their ad copy. How good is the design, construction, and performance?"

There's seriously not anything close to the information you need to determine this. If you're that curious, buy one and have it measured.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"Here's photos of a car and some of their ad copy. How good is the design, construction, and performance?"

There's seriously not anything close to the information you need to determine this. If you're that curious, buy one and have it measured.
Another satisfied customer.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

" A straw man (or strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

The typical straw man argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition through the covert replacement of it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and the subsequent refutation of that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the opponent's proposition "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

What i wrote was this" can share their input on its build quality component quality "

The important part of that sentence is " can share their input"

input

" help, ideas, or knowledge that someone gives to a project, organization "
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/input

not a definite assessment of performance or component quality and that is entirely different
i have never made the claim that anyone here can make a definite assessment on component quality or the performance of any product by simply looking at photos and reading specifications

can you point out were im suppose to have said this?

i have simply asked for other peoples input on a forum called audio science review about an amplifier that i had thoughts about purchasing

I know it might be tempting to misquote someone and attempt to make cheap points but i would prefer if you simply just read what i had actually wrote instead

Last edited:
OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

I decided to go with an hpa 9 from Nuprime instead the store i bought it from are selling their stock so i got mine for 490 dollars.. converted using google for all you Americans ;) i have only read good thing about it hopefully they still have one left to ship to me :)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I decided to go with an hpa 9 from Nuprime instead the store i bought it from are selling their stock so i got mine for 490 dollars.. converted using google for all you Americans ;) i have only read good thing about it hopefully they still have one left to ship to me :)
Wowowow that's was a big change in buying behavior. From a tube amp to class A with FET input. The NuPrime looks nice. Can you send it in for testing? Then we can see how it performs with other amps and you can see too.
https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/hpa-9/?v=b0c4bc877c29
5Nuprime_HPA_95.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What i wrote was this" can share their input on its build quality component quality "

...not a definite assessment of performance or component quality and that is entirely different

If you want to be eristic, at least try to be consistent.

Nobody can tell you what you're purporting to ask for from some ad copy and a couple of photos.

Period.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
" A straw man (or strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

The typical straw man argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition through the covert replacement of it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and the subsequent refutation of that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the opponent's proposition "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

The important part of that sentence is " can share their input"

input

" help, ideas, or knowledge that someone gives to a project, organization "
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/input

not a definite assessment of performance or component quality and that is entirely different
i have never made the claim that anyone here can make a definite assessment on component quality or the performance of any product by simply looking at photos and reading specifications

can you point out were im suppose to have said this?

i have simply asked for other peoples input on a forum called audio science review about an amplifier that i had thoughts about purchasing

I know it might be tempting to misquote someone and attempt to make cheap points but i would prefer if you simply just read what i had actually wrote instead
Good luck with your purchase, sincerely.

If I can offer you some advice, your original post was a mess. I read a few times and I had no clue what the purpose was. You mixed your own text and comments in amongst company copy etc etc. I wasnt being funny if I asked if there was a question.

And as to straw men, dont go there.

Per you "Anyone here have any comments or suggestions if this is a good purchasing decision?"

You asked , you got.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Wowowow that's was a big change in buying behavior.
https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/hpa-9/?v=b0c4bc877c29

There is enough garbage on that webpage to fertilize many gardens. "Low temporal distortion"? WTF?

I do like their review page where they juxtapose a review from a guy who says it's colored in a way he likes with another review claiming it's transparent.

"The single-ended JFET (Junction Field Effect Transistor) structure is powered by voltage with the characteristics of a solid-state semiconductor very much like a vacuum tube. The HPA-9 therefore produces a sound very close to a triode’s. " If they believe that, then they have zero idea of how FETs and triodes operate. If they don't, they're happy to lie to potential buyers.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

If you want to be eristic, at least try to be consistent.

Nobody can tell you what you're purporting to ask for from some ad copy and a couple of photos.

Period.

I never asked for answers i asked for opinions the only way you can argue your point is to imagine i asked a question that i haven't asked hey if it makes you feel better go right ahead but dont expect me or anyone else to take you seriously :)

Just to make this really clear me asking for opinions about a spec sheet or about the quality of the components in an amplifier aint the same thing as me asking hey does this amplifier sound good? Or ask for some type of definitive statement about the amplifiers performance period

If you went to a forum called Car science forum and asked them for their opinions on a car you thought about buying do you think anyone would consider that odd? This is the same thing i did i didn't go up to you and ask you if the car i thought about purchasing was good or bad because that is completely inane of course you wouldn't know that and i have never argued that period

Last edited:
OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

Good luck with your purchase, sincerely.

If I can offer you some advice, your original post was a mess. I read a few times and I had no clue what the purpose was. You mixed your own text and comments in amongst company copy etc etc. I wasnt being funny if I asked if there was a question.

And as to straw men, dont go there.

Per you "Anyone here have any comments or suggestions if this is a good purchasing decision?"

You asked , you got.

Yes i agree it is quite difficult to read that was never my intention sorry.but i dont agree that asking this

any comments or suggestions if this is a good purchasing decision?

is synonymous with me asking someone to give me a definitive answer on a products performance through pictures rather they are two entirely different things nowhere will you see me in this thread ask anyone for that :)

If you notice i didn't ask for a yes or no i asked for comments or suggestions if it was a good purchasing decision because im well aware nobody here can give a straight yes or no on that question simply by the looking at the information i provided

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Nelson is a very good entertainer.

But if you want to actually learn about these issues rather than get armed with slogans, there's much better references. Start here. Very accessible, but handled in a rigorous way. And also Bruno's straightforward answer to the expected objection.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

Nelson is a very good entertainer.

But if you want to actually learn about these issues rather than get armed with slogans, there's much better references. Start here. Very accessible, but handled in a rigorous way. And also Bruno's straightforward answer to the expected objection.

Thanks i will read them! :) I think the idea Nuprime had in mind with not having any global feedback was to create 2nd harmonic distortion which some people might like i think thats also why they decided to go with single ended

I read that a negative with not having global feedback is that you might end up with a high output impedance that might explain why they haven't posted that in their specs

But it might be fun to compare it to a class a amp that uses feedback and aint single ended like my Aune x7s
Also according to massdrop the aune x7s is only class A up to 200 Mw into 300 ohms

Last edited:
OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

So i got my new amplifier today i also purchased a matching aune X8 magic dac to go along with it :)
P1010947.JPG

P1010948.JPG
P1010951.JPG

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are answering your own question the reason i wrote such a detailed post is because i wanted you to be familiar because i didn't think most people on here knew about the product and i felt it was important to give as much information as possible to the people here.. people that knows a lot more about this stuff than i do

So they.. you.. could give me an honest opinion about it be that to comment on its specifications or its build quality

Aubergine ... I see, you just met Wombat .. :D

Don't buy the darn thing for so much money. Not worth it. Software can provide the sound of tubes for much less.
And reread this post
Welcome!

Top Bottom