• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurements of Topping Pre90/Ext90 Preamplifier/ Extender

What's the value of the input impedance ?

Max

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 Is it possible to measure THD+N vs Volume adjustment (or vs "time" by adjusting volume manually, if more convenient) with a nominal fixed voltage at the input ?

To see the pros of [fixed DAC + Pre] versus [adjustable DAC]

Reactions: trl

win

Kudos to topping for the measurements, and thanks for filling in niche gaps!

raif71

Major Contributor
I suppose I can just get the ext90 only and use with existing amp?

gvl

Major Contributor
It's the same low impedance. If anyone what it high, don't buy.

OK, I won't. I was looking forward to it but IMO this is unacceptable for a pre as it should be properly buffered to work with a variety of sources, DC coupled or not.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Thanks. I gather this is typical for all topping devices with analog inputs?

Not sure about all, but A90, L30, A50s, and this, thanks to John's obsession to lead the SINAD chart.

Reactions: 777

win

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm sure there are plenty of us who would love an education on why low input impedance is good/bad. The Schiit Freya S looks like the most direct competitor to this preamp, at least in terms of use case, and it doesn't even list input impedance. https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1

seashell

Not sure about all, but A90, L30, A50s, and this, thanks to John's obsession to lead the SINAD chart.
Heh. I was thinking that was probably the reason for the choice after you posted the value.

gvl

Major Contributor
Low input impedance is particularly problematic when the source output impedance depends on the frequency, such as in case of capacitor coupled outputs which are common in older gear, and you end up with low frequency droop. There's nothing good about low input impedance, in this instance it's a side effect of omitting the input buffer with the only reason to post a good SINAD value on this forum. If you think about it, it's those with legacy gear who should be the target customers for such a preamp, yet due to its low input impedance it may not be an ideal pairing.

Last edited:
OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 Is it possible to measure THD+N vs Volume adjustment (or vs "time" by adjusting volume manually, if more convenient) with a nominal fixed voltage at the input ?

To see the pros of [fixed DAC + Pre] versus [adjustable DAC]

SINADvsVolumebmp.jpg

Basically the measurement result is limited by... APx555...

Dashboard 0dbrA set on 5V:
-20Dash.jpg

-30Dash.jpg
-60dash.jpg
-90Dash.jpg

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That should work for HT Bypass, setting the gain to 0db.

Lack of a 12v trigger hurts the functionality

My goodness...I also suggested adding a trigger function... But it was rejected by Topping...

ririt

My goodness...I also suggested adding a trigger function... But it was rejected by Topping...
Too bad! according to what I can see in the AVS threads, I think there is a lot of people like me who aim to combine home cinema and hifi in the same set-up. Since these days most of the DAC or DAC+preamp solutions are all giving stellar measurements, I do not understand why Topping, SMSL or Gustard do not add new features in their new devices which can improve the customer experience instead of being engaged in a race to implement the last DAC from AKm or ESS. It will be much more helpful for them to differentiate from competition.

Top Bottom