• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurements of Topping Pre90/Ext90 Preamplifier/ Extender

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Another home-run product by Topping. Beautiful!

Meanwhile I'm still trying to decrypt Wolf's wolf-code. Amir's panther-code is clear enough...

Wolf staring straight: Good
Wolves Turning Heads: Medium
Wolf with teeth and claws: not good

Howling Wolf: Increase (+++)
The little wolf who rolled his eyes: reduced (-)

You see that the Pre90 got a wolf staring directly, two howling wolves

Good++

jruser

Thanks for the answers John and Wolf! Few more questions..

Can you tell us pricing yet?

Can we get a picture of the remote?

Any insight into topology? Is it balanced all the way through? How many relays are in the volume control section?

VeerK

great review Wolf, I hope you can post more often, although I do follow L7AudioLab.

waiting for news on pricing on preamp and extender, and waiting for the power amps until I buy. Hype time

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
great review Wolf, I hope you can post more often, although I do follow L7AudioLab.

waiting for news on pricing on preamp and extender, and waiting for the power amps until I buy. Hype time
Yeah, also interested in power amp. My current stereo amps are too big and heavy, not easy to work in small room.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Thanks for the answers John and Wolf! Few more questions..

Can you tell us pricing yet?

Can we get a picture of the remote?

Any insight into topology? Is it balanced all the way through? How many relays are in the volume control section?

Since I am not a member of the manufacturer, I actually don't know the price...but I previously suggested that they set the price of Pre90 lower than A90 (lower than 499.99USD). As for the remote control which makes me feel headache, the remote control of Pre90 is very ordinary. I recommend Topping to provide a better, more textured remote control (or as a gift for Ext90 and an option for Pre90)-it is said that the main problem is that they use CR2032 to achieve a better remote control. Batteries, if this type of lithium battery is included, the product will not be shipped by air... Assuming that the battery is not included, the product can be shipped by air, but it cannot be used "out of the box"

In my experience, for a "living room" oriented preamplifier, the texture of the remote control is very important!

The current remote control (I am not satisfied)
Remote.jpg

I recommend them this remote control:

Remote2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Yeah, also interested in power amp. My current stereo amps are too big and heavy, not easy to work in small room.

I know about Topping's power amplifier development plan-a design that is approximately twice the height of the Pre90, the same width and slightly deeper.

In fact, I also took the time to give a suggested 3D design of the appearance (hope that Topping can finally adopt this design)

I am also looking forward to this product...

Last edited:
OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor

Some simpler measurements (early engineering prototypes, etc.) I would be ashamed to post here... because I think posting here is a serious matter for me.

And recently I have been too busy, so...

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Originally, Topping planned to launch an A90 without headphone output and using relay volume. What makes me happy is that they finally followed my advice and designed a combination of Pre/Ext.

Hi Wolf,
Trying to understand your post:
Means originally A90 was intended to be a simple "Pre90" with relay volume/remote but not as a headphone amp ?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Wolf,
Trying to understand your post:
Means originally A90 was intended to be a simple "Pre90" with relay volume/remote but not as a headphone amp ?
No, he means they were just gonna make A90-like chassis, no headphone output only Pre, originally. But they followed his advice to make a more elaborate Pre+Extender board, so R&D of two products.

ririt

Then it is very important to use experience! First of all, there must be a volume memory function (different signal sources have different output levels, and a volume memory function can ensure a good experience when switching between different input sources.)
Can this feature be used as a kind of HT bypass if the Pre 90 is inserted between a AV receiver and power amp?

jruser

That should work for HT Bypass, setting the gain to 0db.

Lack of a 12v trigger hurts the functionality

Michal

Bravo Topping, but if they could offer multi-channel D90 + digital crossover + Pre 90 in one box (my little dream) they would probably break the bank.

Top Bottom