• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurements of Topping Pre90/Ext90 Preamplifier/ Extender

okok

I know about Topping's power amplifier development plan-a design that is approximately twice the height of the Pre90, the same width and slightly deeper.

In fact, I also took the time to give a suggested 3D design of the appearance (hope that Topping can finally adopt this design)

I am also looking forward to this product...

class D? class ab? class h?

kukocz

Forum Donor
What is the maximum output voltage (assuming you feed it with 4V XLR)? Does it have fixed gain?

gino1961

There are these passive Stepped attenuators in US
https://goldpt.com/sa2x.html ...
they do not specify the attenuator impedance ... i guess they provide different values on customers' demand
Personally the idea of an "universal" preamp is very understandable ... a preamp for all seasons. But if i had a unit with excellent performances i would select a source compatible with that preamp. There are many quality dacs with very low output impedance of few ohms that should work just fine

Michal

@JohnYang1997
Is the production of a digital player also planned? Something like S.M.S.L. Dp3 but with Topping quality. I have nothing against S.M.S.L. The Dp3 is a very good product at its price, but I would prefer Topping quality. :)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
@JohnYang1997
Is the production of a digital player also planned? Something like S.M.S.L. Dp3 but with Topping quality. I have nothing against S.M.S.L. The Dp3 is a very good product at its price, but I would prefer Topping quality. :)
Quality is on par with SMSL,Topping doesn't make a lot of product and they have made some not so good ones like everyone else

Labjr

Major Contributor
Initially i was quite excited about the Pre90 but its rather expensive, for a product that requires an extension box to make it useful.

Yeah would rather see the base unit have a wider form factor and two each of XLR and S/E inputs.

VeerK

If it was $599 for Pre90 and the extender, I’d consider it. $850 for both makes no sense, and it’s even more out of place when you look at $499 for the A90 and $699 for the D90.

Id rather put the money into the power amps they’ve planned

Dave O.

I like the small dorm factor and don't need more than the current two analogue inputs since any dac is essentially a hub for other additional sources. So the option of an extender is also a smart solution for those who need it. Ì would say that even the combined price is reasonable if if it performs like the substantially more expensive Benchmark pre/hp amp.

BUT, as stated earlier by VeerK with all due respect, how does the price of the pre90 exceed that of the a90? You trade a more expensive relay volume control for additional amplification and headphone inputs. Perhaps Topping has taken a decision to lower value and increase margins.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I like the small dorm factor and don't need more than the current two analogue inputs since any dac is essentially a hub for other additional sources. So the option of an extender is also a smart solution for those who need it. Ì would say that even the combined price is reasonable if if it performs like the substantially more expensive Benchmark pre/hp amp.

BUT, as stated earlier by VeerK with all due respect, how does the price of the pre90 exceed that of the a90? You trade a more expensive relay volume control for additional amplification and headphone inputs. Perhaps Topping has taken a decision to lower value and increase margins.
Maybe it's the opposite? I didn't want to reply to this thread but as you are actually giving some valuable points. Here's the deal.
599 now only worth 549 in June. That's half of the price difference.
The amplification is reduced in half but the same same time same structure this doesn't reduce much money only the board occupation. 2 relays are basically evening out the difference of the different amplification circuit. Then you add even more relays not only for the volume control but for switching and screen etc. Also would any one think a 300 dollar extender unit sane? Even 249 is a bit high for many. But the extender itself cost quite a lot to make so we eased a bit to the main unit. Hence 599+249. Reducing another 50 bucks won't make a meaningful difference for people commented above as you see. So that's it.
Also from a different perspective pre90 is not to compete with A90. It's a dedicated preamp. Think about it.
Our first up coming power amp is a integrated amp. So that shouldn't need this either. So we don't at first expect this to sell like other products. This is targeted to specific people. It's also a preparation for the higher end monoblock poweramp. 599 is really not that much. 849 for multiple inputs and all the features built into it is not unfair also. If you look around the competition. There's simply no competition. H16 from gustard is cheaper yes but with much worse performance especially when reduced volume. If one doesn't care about the performance, safe volume, saved volume features on pre90, H16 is the way to go. Go get it. If remote is not essential, A90 is there for you. And go go get it.
Pre90 doesn't make much sense because it doesn't mean to.
The new A30pro and D30pro will be a very good deal for most people here. :)

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also from a different perspective pre90 is not to compete with A90. It's a dedicated preamp. Think about it.
How is Pre90 supposed to work with active speakers and A90 for headphones, where both have balanced inputs? There is one balanced output at Pre90. If one uses A90's pre-outs, one loses the ability to switch outputs with the remote and saved output volume, or one of them has to be connected through RCAs.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How is Pre90 supposed to work with active speakers and A90 for headphones, where both have balanced inputs? There is one balanced output at Pre90. If one uses A90's pre-outs, one loses the ability to switch outputs with the remote and saved output volume, or one of them has to be connected through RCAs.
Pre90 is not designed to be used with A90. A90 is the center of the desktop system. Pre90 is to design to pair with dedicated power amp in a HIFI system where the speakers are the only needed outputs.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Pre90 is not designed to be used with A90. A90 is the center of the desktop system. Pre90 is to design to pair with dedicated power amp in a HIFI system where the speakers are the only needed outputs.

I have a system with a D90 driving my power amp directly via XLR connections and the L30 via RCA. The central button on the remote of the D90 allows me to choose whether I listen through the speakers or throw the headphones, allowing me to move seamlessly from my "day mode" to "night mode". I know folks having more than one source, and thus have a preamp, and needing to do the same. Some turn the headamp and the power amp on/off depending on what type of output they need. Just selecting the outputs would be better, some preamps allow that. Is the ability of selecting which outputs are active present in the Pre90?

Also, I have asked several times, and never got a reply: is there an investigation in Topping about the distortion problem with 768Khz input on the D90 and is there a plan to fix it in a firmware update?

Thank you in advance for both answers, John.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have a system with a D90 driving my power amp directly via XLR connections and the L30 via RCA. The central button on the remote of the D90 allows me to choose whether I listen through the speakers or throw the headphones, allowing me to move seamlessly from my "day mode" to "night mode". I know folks having more than one source, and thus have a preamp, and needing to do the same. Some turn the headamp and the power amp on/off depending on what type of output they need. Just selecting the outputs would be better, some preamps allow that. Is the ability of selecting which outputs are active present in the Pre90?

Also, I have asked several times, and never got a reply: is there an investigation in Topping about the distortion problem with 768Khz input on the D90 and is there a plan to fix it in a firmware update?

Thank you in advance for both answers, John.
On pre90 you can select rca output, xlr output, or both at the same time.

The 768khz issue seems not fixable. D90 can play 768khz without issue here. But some users have the issue. And frankly who really needs 768khz...

Dave O.

A question for John Yang: Will the A30/D30 stack neatly on the pre 90 i.e. are they half the width?

Top Bottom