• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurements of Pico Headphone Amp

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Before the holiday I received a "Kaleidoscope" box filled with various equipment that my friend "King" asked me to take measure.

Today I finally made time to look at the various toys inside the box-they are very well wrapped by various bubble films. I decided to start with a relatively small "bubble film egg".

After opening it, I found this thing:
photo.jpg

Rear.jpg

This gadget is so small and exquisite, I am very happy with the quality of construction. The rear screws are probably the only place I can complain about not being good enough. The quality of the paint on the surface is also very high, making it suitable for use as a toy. If it was made in China, I would be willing to pay 499RMB to buy it. When I saw the US-made logo on the back, I naively thought that this device would sell for about $ 149-199 ... Then I googled it ...

$ 499 ... Okey.There is a limitation on my imagination because of poverty……

Okay, let me dry my tears that are sentimental to my poverty and measure (Load=50R)

Dashboard.jpg

Dynamic-Range---No.jpg

THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

THD+N-Ratio.jpg

SMPTE-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

Relative-Level-(1.jpg

OI.jpg

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So many measurements to read at the moment on ASR, hard to keep up! Thanks!!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is that 100mW in 32 Ohms ?
and 70mW in ... Ohms ?

$ 500.- is a lot of money for this... me thinks the O2 is a better choice but it is much bigger.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
At least the distortion numbers aren't through the roof.

I had a Gilmore Lite many years ago. That particular unit is still circulating on my local classifieds...

headwhacker

Forum Donor
I have the Pico Power which is suppose to measure better. Maybe I can send it to you one day. These amps were designed to be stacked with the ipod classic

mkawa

Blast from the past! This was the first amp designed in house at headamp. Headamp started as a licensed vendor of high end gilmore builds. I believe kevin gilmore had a small amount of interaction on the design of this amp, but otherwise it was the first commercial design from the owner, and iirc IC based as opposed to the gilmore discrete design. That puts the design at almost 20 years old at this point.

the price reflects its age. Quality of current ICs hit warp 9 in the last decade; monolith 887 measurements at its price point were just not possible back then.

Svperstar

I'd love to see the Gilmore Lite mk2 measured on here. I'd send mine in but I don't want to be without it, I have no idea Amir's turnaround time.

I bought it out of nostalgia for my old Gilmore Lite I sold 10 years ago.

Probably doesn't measure as well as the THX stuff but it sounds way better then my Asgard 2 which is just taking up space in my closet.

Svperstar

At least the distortion numbers aren't through the roof.

I had a Gilmore Lite many years ago. That particular unit is still circulating on my local classifieds...

Even tho I own the mk2 part of me wants to track down an old Gilmore Lite, no logical reason to do so but would be fun to have again.

phoenixsong

Before I got my O2 from JDS I was considering the Pico Power as well

Top Bottom