• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurements of Holo Audio Spring 2 Lv2

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Best period, if you ask me personally. Most others look like a generation behind if you ask me. Sure maybe you can dig up expensive multi $10,000 devices, but even then I'd still take the gamble and wouldn't say it's this clean, or well finished inside and out.
However, I have some opinions on the surface treatment. The sandblasted particles are too delicate, which makes them feel too smooth. The disadvantage of being too smooth is that the texture is not good enough, and the black surface is easy to leave imprints such as fingerprints.

Tks

Major Contributor
However, I have some opinions on the surface treatment. The sandblasted particles are too delicate, which makes them feel too smooth. The disadvantage of being too smooth is that the texture is not good enough, and the black surface is easy to leave imprints such as fingerprints.

Reminds me of people who don't like glass sandwhiched smartphones. I personally feel as luxury items, and in the category that a standalone DAC is. I won't be touching it that much where fingerprints would be showing. I like having a device look as good as this, even if it sacrifices itself to the amount of care required to keep it from looking dirty.

But I know what you mean though, my RME ADI 2 DAC+Amp has this issue somewhat, where the body is super smooth matte finish, while the front faceplate is a bit rougher and far less prone to smudges. But the Matrix is something I wouldn't be touching much really as a standalone DAC.

Idk if you ever used the THX 789, but it sounds like that would be your ideal material :)

Really nice surface finish, looks great, and won't pick up imprints at all really.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Reminds me of people who don't like glass sandwhiched smartphones. I personally feel as luxury items, and in the category that a standalone DAC is. I won't be touching it that much where fingerprints would be showing. I like having a device look as good as this, even if it sacrifices itself to the amount of care required to keep it from looking dirty.

But I know what you mean though, my RME ADI 2 DAC+Amp has this issue somewhat, where the body is super smooth matte finish, while the front faceplate is a bit rougher and far less prone to smudges. But the Matrix is something I wouldn't be touching much really as a standalone DAC.

Idk if you ever used the THX 789, but it sounds like that would be your ideal material :)

Really nice surface finish, looks great, and won't pick up imprints at all really.

I will not forget the finishes of the two Swiss audio products I have touched.. They are also very smooth, but they are textured, as if they have shrunk the surface of the orange by countless times. There is no feeling of “sand” Instead, it is a delicate touch. I even feel a bit like touching the skin.

Reactions: Tks
OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor

Music1969

Major Contributor
@WolfX-700

Thanks for the great measurements.

@Miska (HQPlayer developer) has said and shown this DAC measures best when fed DSD256 or PCM1536 kHz

Do you have DSD256 or PCM1536 kHz testing files, to be able to verify?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700

Thanks for the great measurements.

@Miska (HQPlayer developer) has said and shown this DAC measures best when fed DSD256 or PCM1536 kHz

Do you have DSD256 or PCM1536 kHz testing files, to be able to verify?
Dashboard256.jpg

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
So it is true. Slight improvement in performance when Spring2 is fed DSD256.

Can you do jitter with USB and DSD256 also?

And your distortion curves like you did in opening post?

To see if everything is measurably a bit better with DSD256?

APX cannot directly output DSD, so making these measurements is not only difficult but also affected by external conversion settings. I don't think it is standard enough.

bunkbail

Forum Donor

Music1969

Major Contributor
APX cannot directly output DSD, so making these measurements is not only difficult but also affected by external conversion settings. I don't think it is standard enough.

HQPlayer developer mentioned PCM1536 kHz measures similar to DSD256 (Spring2 measures best with these 2 rates)

Do you have any PCM1536kHz test file?

Or can create test files?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
HQPlayer developer mentioned PCM1536 kHz measures similar to DSD256 (Spring2 measures best with these 2 rates)

Do you have any PCM1536kHz test file?

Or can create test files?

PCM1536.jpg

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Wow a $2 000 CAD DAC.
View attachment 44541

What was the reasoning behind choosing this DAC, if I may ask?

There are several reasons that prompted me to buy it.

First, of course, it is impulse consumption. After getting a bonus at the end of the year, I always want to buy something.
Second, I have not measured it, so I am interested in measuring it.
Third, because the sensitivity to Jitter has been shown in previous Spring measurements, I can use it as part of the measurement system (this is true).

Ah, men always like to buy all kinds of toys for themselves, as children do not grow up, right?;)

Top Bottom