• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wolfx700 Measurement&Review of Luxury&Precision P6

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After measuring the HM1000, a friend told me: You should measure Luxury&Precision P6! That's a discrete R2R portable device!

It's makes me a little ignorant... what the hell? Discrete R2R Walkman? are you kidding me?Although I haven't paid attention to high-end Walkmans for a long time, I know something about discrete R2R!

The discrete R2R decoder board in my impression is...
(Holo Audio May)(BTW:Every time I saw this PCB, I lamented how beautiful it is!)
May.jpg

Or something like this: (Audio-GD R8)
HQH.jpg

In any case, the discrete R2R product that is "portable" in my imagination should look like this::facepalm:
Sony.jpg

I despise this (because the dimensions in the picture above are actually not “portable” at all). Until I checked P6 online, and found...Is this actually a "normal size" Walkman?

This is very interesting!

So I contacted Luxury&Precision (I originally wanted to contact the end user, but unfortunately the P6 was not yet sold and there are no users yet. And I will suspend the measurement from July to September...) borrowed a device for the measurement.

Attention! This is a device provided by the manufacturer, and the end user’s device may not be spot-checked until October.

Photo2.jpg

Appearance and workmanship:
This is the first time I got a Luxury&Precision product.In terms of the fineness and touch of the aluminum alloy surface, I am willing to give a high score.I have praised the aluminum alloy surface treatment of INT204 (Swiss-made digital interface) countless times before. If that is the highest level of my personal feeling, the P6 is only a little lost (the touch is not so warm).The damping of various buttons and sockets is appropriate (but the damping of the knob is not high enough, lacking a sense of high-level).The overall design is also unique, especially when I heard the nickname (POS machine) taken by audiophiles, the image that came to my mind...
In terms of operation, I can easily get started without reading the instructions anyway, which is in line with the operation logic of (operator of measuring equipment).

In fact, these are not important.

The important thing is:
This product made the discrete R2R portable. This product made the discrete R2R portable.This product made the discrete R2R portable.

R2R.jpg

I got this picture of PCB from the manufacturer. This looks crazy, doesn't it?

Well, without further ado, start measuring!

Dashboard:
Dashboard.jpg

Simply looking at SINAD, P6 does not perform well... but considering that this is a discrete R2R...

Take a look at this chart:
Chart.jpg

In this chart, only P6 is a portable device... Everything else is a desktop DAC...

Dynamic Range:
P6-Dynamic-Range.jpg

-60dbFS dashboard:
Dashboard-60.jpg

According to the measurement definition, SINAD+60 under -60dbFS is the data of the dynamic range (no weighting in the figure), which fully proves that the dynamic range of P6 can reach 120db without weighting.

THD+N-Ratio96.jpg

Multitone:
Multitone.jpg

Headphone amplifier:
THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-32Ω.jpg

THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-100Ω.jpg

THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-300Ω.jpg

Output impedance
OI.jpg

Review:
If I am not mistaken, this is the first portable discrete R2R device.In terms of measurement results, most discrete R2Rs cannot beat even ordinary Δ-Σ devices.But in the HiFi world, some people like this type of device (and even the integrated R2R) because they think "it's sound better".I will not comment on this.

But Luxury&Precision P6, what shocked me was:It realizes that the measurement results surpass Accurate D1000 (same as Rockna Wavedream DAC), TotalDAC D1-Six, Audio-GD R8, and put everything including digital players, headphone amplifiers, power supply parts into a portable……

The engineering implementation of this project is undoubtedly excellent!

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
First ! I wonder if this product made the discrete R2R portable? Do you think this product made the discrete R2R portable?
Any idea of the price?

Thanks a lot for your review!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still would look for a better measuring sigma delta DAP if I were looking for one...

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Confirmed! This product made the discrete R2R portable. (in case you wear the belt)

You can compare with Sony ZX2:65.1x131.2x18.5 mm 235g
I don’t think there is any doubt about defining P6 as a portable device...

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$2999? Don’t ever buy from Penon Audio what a money grabber selling that for $5700. Anyways, it still performed better than the Yggdrasil V2

bahamot

The 5700USD P6 that is sold on Penon is titanium version, it is not a standard P6.
Five-stage titanium case is sturdy and portable

Watch-grade materials and processing technology, high specific strength in metal, non-magnetic, stainless, biophilic.

Tks

Major Contributor
Very interesting seeing these sorts of obscure products.

That picture of the "portable" Sony before the review was pretty funny with the commentary. Man, we need someone to send one of those over for measurement. I'd wager anything that thing will fail (by our standards) as all Sony products have been for years ago.

Thanks for the review wolfman! Was wondering, is it possible to run an FFT of white noise spectrum to see the filter response of something like this?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Very interesting seeing these sorts of obscure products.

That picture of the "portable" Sony before the review was pretty funny with the commentary. Man, we need someone to send one of those over for measurement. I'd wager anything that thing will fail (by our standards) as all Sony products have been for years ago.

Thanks for the review wolfman! Was wondering, is it possible to run an FFT of white noise spectrum to see the filter response of something like this?
There are some bugs in the firmware of this prototype-for example, the filter response you care about-it be fixed in the NOS mode

YSC

Major Contributor
just saw this review very late, it's really amazing considering how a lot of well received portable players with DS dacs built in are in the 8x dB SINAD range and this actually made it to the 90 dB range, although the channel mismatch is a bit of a flaw in this I doubt it will be noticable. really nice result for a DAP but the price is a killer though

Eskamobob1

Have you gotten a chance to measure a P6 Pro yet? The upgraded version? Everyone seems to say it's even a tier above the og you measured here

Skeptischism

just saw this review very late, it's really amazing considering how a lot of well received portable players with DS dacs built in are in the 8x dB SINAD range and this actually made it to the 90 dB range, although the channel mismatch is a bit of a flaw in this I doubt it will be noticable. really nice result for a DAP but the price is a killer though
that says more about the generally low quality of the DS DAP implementations and not really anything about this unit. 90dB is never good. its not even 16 bits ENOB and for a player of this budget, with no constraints, its shameful.

YSC

Major Contributor
that says more about the generally low quality of the DS DAP implementations and not really anything about this unit. 90dB is never good. its not even 16 bits ENOB and for a player of this budget, with no constraints, its shameful.
Well if you consider the multi grand desktop R2R…. With almost none gone to this SINAD and I feel that this dap is already very good in class. If it’s a DS one I would give it less of a praise

Skeptischism

Almost none? in the ranking of a very small number of units measured here, it is beaten by nearly 15dB, then nearly 20dB and in the case of the Holo May, thats nearly 30dB better SINAD. In what world are any of those margins 'almost none'?

YSC

Major Contributor
Almost none? in the ranking of a very small number of units measured here, it is beaten by nearly 15dB, then nearly 20dB and in the case of the Holo May, thats nearly 30dB better SINAD. In what world are any of those margins 'almost none'?
Well, Holo is a vendor that I liked (and I am using the Spring 2 due to review here) but not a common name, but you look Soekris, MSB etc. big names for R2R, and consider how small a package is to cramp all those in a DAP without a lot of room of extra components for parts separation, filtering etc. like you see how Holo Spring and May do, I'd give them a pass and admire L&P,

IMO you can't just compare some desktop figures for DAP performance, money no object is a thing but when size does matter you have a lot of limitations, and in such package, able to achieve a SINAD at top segment of the product type is an achievement, if the architecture it uses is difficult to implement right even in desktop products, it's an even bigger achievement. Of course tech advances, but physics still limits what is even possible, say you cannot require a 1" sensor camera or phone camera to be on par with a full size "ancient" DSLR at noise level, yes, say compare back in 2005 and in 2021 the 5D and Sony A7SIII the high iso raised a lot of steps, but a phone camera can't even get close to original 5D ISO1600 noise performance.

Top Bottom