• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

ShoKz

hi guys.

Can someone please tell how much L30 weights? without powersuply. just the L30 unit.

Thanks

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MSTARK

It's here.
Daughter asked:
what is it?
Why?
Be cause it looks like 2, 1 kilo bricks of cocaine.
Nicely done Topping. Lol

MSTARK

Set it up in my bedroom with Topping D50s (bottom shelf).
31664878-AEC6-4F7F-8AC6-A588A3DC9DEE.jpeg

I’ll try it with Aeons and HD700 first.
CF5080A5-789E-4D60-84CB-35A48E11B5FA.jpeg

MSTARK

Wow! How many ears do you have?!:D

Two really bad ones. :D
There’s more in main rig room and basement. :facepalm:

OK, so I am listening to this on Aeons 2C. (Pretty good test track for dynamics, bass/top extension and coherency.)
Low gain- unusable
0 gain - OK, but I really need to crank this up somewhere between 2-3 o’clock. (1-2 o’clock for casual listening).
High gain works best on these cans.
At around noon, they sounds exactly how I like it when rocking. 11 o’clock
for more casual listening.
(switched to HD700 for a minute and it’s pretty much the same thing but I preferred 0- gain on some material. HD700 sound pretty, pretty good on this amp)

I won’t say more at this point then this: it’s capable little thing. Clean for sure. Haven’t heard a thing without music playing at all gain levels and maxed out volume. Need more time to form any coherent evaluation. So far so good.
582650AD-FD12-4503-8480-A6213245EECC.jpeg

MSTARK

On top of the L30, is that an audio device or just something to hold down the L30 ?
It’s my DIY tablet stand. Lol
Yes, to hold it down. It’s pretty light and you need a brick or something to hold it down. ;)

raif71

Major Contributor
It’s my DIY tablet stand. Lol
Yes, to hold it down. It’s pretty light and you need a brick or something to hold it down. ;)
LOL, one glance it looks just like an audio device. Nice DIY :)

MSTARK

LOL, one glance it looks just like an audio device. Nice DIY :)
Leftover material from my turntable build. And thanks.

Back to L30 for a sec.
I’m not going to comment on sound or pairing with various cans as I obviously need a little more one on one with this amp.
But I want to touch on few things that might be worth mentioning.
1. volume knob has a bit of play of about 1/8”. Another words, it won’t respond instantly while trying to make small adjustments. Also, it could be my imagination but it happens more then a couple times. There was some sort of fainted noise (just for a millisecond) while gently touching/turning volume control within that 1/8” play zone I mentioned earlier.
Second: not really an issue but a small concern. I had really bad experience with tinny and usually inexpensive toggle switches. Replaced a ton of them on various projects. These feel kinda the same way. I don’t know a track record on these particular toggle switches but I hope that I’m wrong.
3th. Unit is pretty light so you might need some sort of weight to keep it in place. I have to say tho that on glass surface it’s less of an issue. People complained about that red ring around volume control..... well, I like it. It’s actually beautiful. Volume white indicator/marker is also a nice touch. Could have been slightly larger but nice nevertheless. Thank you Topping for dimmed white LED that isn’t blinding me with arrogance. Subtle but nice touch.
Build quality is reflected by its price. And I rather see Topping pay more attention to performance then esthetics at this price bracket.
Save fancy stuff for flagship components. ;)
Eventho I might have crapped a little on L30 but in all honesty, it’s a very, very nice and super clean little amp. It drove my Aeons2 with authority without hiccups. HD700 sound awesome as I write these notes for you guys.
Bravo Toppings team.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MSTARK

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Leftover material from my turntable build. And thanks.

Back to L30 for a sec.
I’m not going to comment on sound or pairing with various cans as I obviously need a little more one on one with this amp.
But I want to touch on few things that might be worth mentioning.
1. volume knob has a bit of play of about 1/8”. Another words, it won’t respond instantly while trying to make small adjustments. Also, it could be my imagination but it happens more then a couple times. There was some sort of fainted noise (just for a millisecond) while gently touching/turning volume control within that 1/8” play zone I mentioned earlier.
Second: not really an issue but a small concern. I had really bad experience with tinny and usually inexpensive toggle switches. Replaced a ton of them on various projects. These feel kinda the same way. I don’t know a track record on these particular toggle switches but I hope that I’m wrong.
3th. Unit is pretty light so you might need some sort of weight to keep it in place. I have to say tho that on glass surface it’s less of an issue. People complained about that red ring around volume control..... well, I like it. It’s actually beautiful. Volume white indicator/marker is also a nice touch. Could have been slightly larger but nice nevertheless. Thank you Topping for dimmed white LED that isn’t blinding me with arrogance. Subtle but nice touch.
Build quality is reflected by its price. And I rather see Topping pay more attention to performance then esthetics at this price bracket.
Save fancy stuff for flagship components. ;)
Eventho I might have crapped a little on L30 but in all honesty, it’s a very, very nice and super clean little amp. It drove my Aeons2 with authority without hiccups. HD700 sound awesome as I write these notes for you guys.
Bravo Toppings team.
1, Just adjust a bit further to have the small adjustment you wish. It's sort of an known issue but not really an issue. It's the pot inside that's doing this not the knob getting loose. In terms of noise there really shouldn't be noise.
2, The toggle switch has been pretty durable. So no worry about that.
3, Why not both. We did put thought on the LED indicator. Glad you liked it.

MSTARK

Is it that light? I thought it's already much heavier tham e30.
I am not familiar with e30. If it’s heavier, then that’s better for sure. Those half round feet are pretty good on glass or high gloss surfaces. If people own a matching dac it might be a non issue as it would be an obvious choice to stock that DAC on top of L30.
Problem solved. I got D50s and it looks awkward on top of it. So a little something was needed to keep it steady. No biggie.

Last edited:

MSTARK

1, Just adjust a bit further to have the small adjustment you wish. It's sort of an known issue but not really an issue. It's the pot inside that's doing this not the knob getting loose. In terms of noise there really shouldn't be noise.
2, The toggle switch has been pretty durable. So no worry about that.
3, Why not both. We did put thought on the LED indicator. Glad you liked it.

It has to be the pot. Knob is pretty secured....... trust me, I checked. Lol

I’ll keep you posted on that noise while playing within that “play” zone. It happened several times and all it took was a fainted touch. Noise was barely noticeable. Like I’ve said, a millisecond. Again, not a big deal but something that might be worth looking into.
LED? Yeah. Love it that you didn’t go nuts with blink/blink.
So far so good. When you come up with your next flagship baby, I might be game. ;)

edit: and thanks for reassurance regarding those toggle switches.

Last edited:

Sak

little amp
It is small only when it is on the table.
But if you want to take it on a business trip/trip, you will understand that with such a huge and heavy power supply unit it turns out to be bulky.

Personally, I really wanted to try this device, but only the power supply stopped me. Firstly, it is transformer, and cannot be used with 120v~240v, but this is important to me. Hopefully in the next update there will be either a built-in power supply, or a switched one from a laptop, which can be replaced if desired. And it's not that heavy and bulky.
The power supply of the L30 is special, with alternating current. It will be very difficult to find when replacing, or looking for a second with voltage for another country.
It is clear that this will inevitably increase the price, but for many it will be better, IMHO.

MSTARK

But if you want to take it on a business trip/trip, you will understand that with such a huge and heavy power supply unit it turns out to be bulky.

Personally, I really wanted to try this device, but only the power supply stopped me. Firstly, it is transformer, and cannot be used with 120v~240v, but this is important to me. Hopefully in the next update there will be either a built-in power supply, or a switched one from a laptop, which can be replaced if desired. And it's not that heavy and bulky.
The power supply of the L30 is special, with alternating current. It will be very difficult to find when replacing, or looking for a second with voltage for another country.
It is clear that this will inevitably increase the price, but for many it will be better, IMHO.
Yes, it’s quite heavy. I don’t mind that personally. But it might be an issue for some. Especially guys with those silly adapters. Unfortunately it won’t work for someone like yourself. Maybe next gen will address that. I’m sure there will be more amps like this coming out.
I just bought it to see what the fuss is all about with these ridiculously low distortion amps. If they are this good at $130, I might be interested to see what their future flagship has to offer.

I would also like to caution ppl to not listen to headphones at volumes I used for initial testing. It’s quite loud and it could be dangerous. I don’t have issues with those SPL levels but my daughter’s ears can’t take that abuse.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

There will be new portable amp nx7 for you. Each design has its compromises. There will also be a50s with external smps for 100-240v.

raif71

Major Contributor

While waiting for L30 to arrive, I am already searching for a replacement power supply should the one with the amp goes kaput. Not easy though... I hope Topping will supply this unusual power supply as individual units :)

Top Bottom