• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The response to me 30 min ago was: "We will receive L30 black next week, but Topping is still out of stock of L30 Silver. We asked for an delay estimation again." Audiophonics (topping oficial reseler).
Only other possibility is silver was pre-ordered by some sellers.

Veri

Master Contributor
They repply saying L30 black is back in stock next week. But the silver version (that i ordered) won´t have stock soon because topping is not sending them soon. Can anyone confirm? @Veri is yours the black one?
Should i change my order to black.? This is ridiculous... just stock in black... very nice.
My order is for a black one. I think they ordered a lot of black units, and not as many silver units which are sold out, so silver is further back-ordered than black. They could have told you that though rather than blame Topping.

ShoKz

My order is for a black one. I think they ordered a lot of black units, and not as many silver units which are sold out, so silver is further back-ordered than black. They could have told you that though rather than blame Topping.
agree with you. custumer comunication is very bad in my first experience with audiophonics.
i´ll try to switch to black version and hope they don´t send me to the end of the waiting line. i ordered the silver version by the end of july.
its so sad....

Veri

Master Contributor
agree with you. custumer comunication is very bad in my first experience with audiophonics.
i´ll try to switch to black version and hope they don´t send me to the end of the waiting line. i ordered the silver version by the end of july.
its so sad....
You can ask them, if you change to black do you get one of the incoming units. Otherwise just order elsewhere, Hifistudio79 appears to have a surplus of stock! Some of the website is Dutch but it's a legitimate seller.

ShoKz

You can ask them, if you change to black do you get one of the incoming units. Otherwise just order elsewhere, Hifistudio79 appears to have a surplus of stock! Some of the website is Dutch but it's a legitimate seller.
thank you for that info. ill talk to them..

Fawzay

apparently Topping Release a portable bluetooth device which could make the E30 dac Bluetooth capable.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
apparently Topping Release a portable bluetooth device which could make the E30 dac Bluetooth capable.

That's the BC3.

It has a 2V output line-out. Which means it can effectively turn most powered / active speakers into wireless ones too ! (just needs a line-out to RCA cable convertor )

MWeston

I was watching Sandu's review yesterday:

He took apart the power adapter and it's just a transformer in there. There's no fusing, no surge protection, just straight in. Is that was passes for acceptable in China? That would fail certification in North America! Geez, I hope you all have good home insurance. ;)

Reactions: Sak

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

He took apart the power adapter and it's just a transformer in there. There's no fusing, no surge protection, just straight in. Is that was passes for acceptable in China? That would fail certification in North America! Geez, I hope you all have good home insurance. ;)
The transformer should have a thermal fuse if imported into Canada to conform to safety standard. My understanding is that power supply transformers in the USA are not required to have the thermal fuse. The thermal fuse is inside the transformer and cannot be seen unless one peels back the outer dielectric on the transformer.

MWeston

My goodness, I hope that isn't true. I can't imagine any country saying it is okay to not have input fusing. I hope transformers with a built in thermal fuse is an industrial standard and just hidden in all 100/120/220/240V types. That would be nuts, otherwise.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I started watching that video and he's already messed up saying you can use the p50 supply for it. Not a graet start. I'll carry on watching.
Edit : The rest of the review seemed on point given the measurments.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My goodness, I hope that isn't true. I can't imagine any country saying it is okay to not have input fusing. I hope transformers with a built in thermal fuse is an industrial standard and just hidden in all 100/120/220/240V types. That would be nuts, otherwise.
Don't forget there will be DC power supply circuitry inside the L30 and maybe that will include some safety protection. Also the size of that transformer looks pretty hefty for it's purpose. Perhaps @JohnYang1997 can chime in for you.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Has he tried taking apart the adapter for JDS Atom ? It functions exactly the same as the E30/L30 one.

Daniel0

It is a rather good review but i disagree with his 2 main negatives:
1. Power: As proven in objective reviews on this site the L30 has plenty of power and it seems like he had other problems than the L30 not having enough power.
2. Soundstage: He talks about balanced and unbalanced in relation to soundstage and makes it sound like you NEED balanced because unbalanced can't provide the best soundstage. I think this is a very subjective statement and far from the truth.

Daniel0

Don't forget there will be DC power supply circuitry inside the L30 and maybe that will include some safety protection. Also the size of that transformer looks pretty hefty for it's purpose. Perhaps @JohnYang1997 can chime in for you.
I also would like to ask @JohnYang1997 if he has some data about typical power draw of the transformer power supply in OFF mode and in normal use. (I'm using 220/230V)
I'm not sure if I should use a switch connector strip for the transformer or not.

BTW the L30 manual isn't available to download on the website, would be nice if we can have both E30 and L30 manuals as pdf files.

MWeston

It is a rather good review but i disagree with his 2 main negatives:
2. Soundstage: He talks about balanced and unbalanced in relation to soundstage and makes it sound like you NEED balanced because unbalanced can't provide the best soundstage. I think this is a very subjective statement and far from the truth.
Yeah, I noticed that too and it makes me wonder if headphones just sound more expansive and "better" when you can get more voltage across them. You could say that it means more power is better but I feel like it is just the potential through the voice coil that is helping. I have no proof of this but just something I was considering.

MWeston

The protection inside the L30 has nothing to do with the protection on the power adapter. Your wall could be on fire while the L30 is nice and protected because the short circuit is happening on the other end of the wire. To be honest, protection on the DC side isn't necessary to protect the customer. It's to protect the L30 if it shorts internally because the transformer will already limit the current to it but not before the L30 goes POP! :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The protection inside the L30 has nothing to do with the protection on the power adapter. Your wall could be on fire while the L30 is nice and protected because the short circuit is happening on the other end of the wire. To be honest, protection on the DC side isn't necessary to protect the customer. It's to protect the L30 if it shorts internally because the transformer will already limit the current to it but not before the L30 goes POP! :D
Yes, you are right about a short on the wall wart side possibly causing ignition and fire but that's what the house circuit breaker is supposed to protect. I agree it's a weak point in the system but that's how it is in the USA and other countries without protection in the transformer.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A transformer is less likely to break dangerously compared to an SMPS, so the required safety measures are probably less strict.

Last edited:

Daniel0

Yeah, I noticed that too and it makes me wonder if headphones just sound more expansive and "better" when you can get more voltage across them. You could say that it means more power is better but I feel like it is just the potential through the voice coil that is helping. I have no proof of this but just something I was considering.
Maybe someone with more knowledge could enlighten us about that.
But i think the main advantages of balanced is that you get an even cleaner signal and more power and thats about it. With an excellent performing unbalanced amp like the L30 you are way beyond audibility already, more than that is just about peace of mind.

The two main issues i have with these subjective reviews:
1. The lyrical snake oil terms that get used far too often to describe the "sound".
2. The wild switching between many vastly different Headphones. If you test different electronics and headphones it all gets smashed together in your memories.

You could always get some objective measurements without breaking your bank but that wouldn't get as many clicks as the snake oil. Most people are not informed well enough and still believe in that.

EDIT: Here is what i mean: Scroll down a little below the big list to see how they test headphones
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/

Last edited:
Top Bottom