• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No. Distortion shoots up. And SPiKe protection kicks in. The output is opened only when there's DC.
I've read all your replies and I want to ask if the temperature rise will lead to performance degradation?

MechEngVic

I've read all your replies and I want to ask if the temperature rise will lead to performance degradation?
When I have the L30 connected to my DAC it doesn't get very hot. When I have it connected directly to the headphone out on my laptop it gets real hot. So I am surmising that the input has something to do with the temp. I have listened to the L30-direct-to-laptop for days and days when I travel and it gets super hot but has not skipped a beat or changed its characteristic super flat sound.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There might be something well above the audible range causing this that is of substantial amplitude ?

raif71

Major Contributor
So far my L30 is just warm. I don't think that it has gotten hot but something that I noticed which may not be true or not. Pairing with a substantially higher output voltage from dac like the mojo, the temperature takes longer to get warm compared to say from E30. Probably the L30 is working harder to deliver power when using a 2V dac compared with a dac that has higher output voltage?

zenki

When I have the L30 connected to my DAC it doesn't get very hot. When I have it connected directly to the headphone out on my laptop it gets real hot. So I am surmising that the input has something to do with the temp. I have listened to the L30-direct-to-laptop for days and days when I travel and it gets super hot but has not skipped a beat or changed its characteristic super flat sound.
May affect durability though

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So far my L30 is just warm. I don't think that it has gotten hot but something that I noticed which may not be true or not. Pairing with a substantially higher output voltage from dac like the mojo, the temperature takes longer to get warm compared to say from E30. Probably the L30 is working harder to deliver power when using a 2V dac compared with a dac that has higher output voltage?

The source does not matter. This only matters for the used gain.
@JohnYang1997 knows if there are more relays 'active' in specific gain settings or if only one is active at all time.
When in low. mid or high setting more than 1 relays are active then it could be possible that the amp may warm up a little differently.

The temperature rise is mostly dependent on the relay(s) being switched on, the actual mains voltage locally (the higher the mains voltage the more heat dissipated by the regulators) and the load (the lower the impedance and the lower the sensitivity the higher the temperature will be.
Do note that this load dependent temperature raise is extremely small ad most headphones don't need more than just a few mW (thus little warmth)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The source does not matter. This only matters for the used gain.
@JohnYang1997 knows if there are more relays 'active' in specific gain settings or if only one is active at all time.
When in low. mid or high setting more than 1 relays are active then it could be possible that the amp may warm up a little differently.

The temperature rise is mostly dependent on the relay(s) being switched on, the actual mains voltage locally (the higher the mains voltage the more heat dissipated by the regulators) and the load (the lower the impedance and the lower the sensitivity the higher the temperature will be.
Do note that this load dependent temperature raise is extremely small ad most headphones don't need more than just a few mW (thus little warmth)
The relays does have some effect on it.

or965

@WolfX-700 Do you remember what load the Crosstalk measurement that you post in this thread ? Is it done with 300 ohm load ?
There is no mention about this in the thread .

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the thd vs frequency, 4.9V but what is the load?
5V.png

shoto

Any one load close to normal headphone would be start 32 ,50, 100 ohm whatever

Top Bottom