• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

w1000i

Forum Donor
it seems this amplifer have extremely high slew rate. does H. slew rate benefits audio quality ?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pretty cheesy...

price.png

Does it really have a $999.99 list price?

Martin

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Sean_S

I have benchmark dac3, which voltage jumper should I use on it for SE out to the a90? Does a90 have better snr when receiving more voltage on input, or best with ~2v? Thx

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have benchmark dac3, which voltage jumper should I use on it for SE out to the a90? Does a90 have better snr when receiving more voltage on input, or best with ~2v? Thx
As A90 has a volume control. The SNR of the upstream component will be preserved. The higher output of the DAC3 won't give any SNR benefit if not more distortion (potential). But we usually test on 5V in for SE input. So take that as a reference point. There's no issue when the voltage is within the input range. I recommend using Mid gain setting on A90. So choose the DAC3 output level to fit the loudness you want.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
This is really a long and memorable vacation ...

Mainly for well-known reasons ... I haven't released any measurements for a long time

Logistics was completely stopped ... R & D and manufacturing were also completely halted ...

God ... this is really a boring holiday ... I have been bored to spend the whole week to adjust one of the equipment I made before (for example, to make the THD+N vs Freq curve of the left and right channels basically the same, and the harmonic components are also consistent);)

For the coronavirus, I was almost 600km away from the center of the outbreak. In terms of government's epidemic prevention measures, in fact, I could hardly find anything to worry about-----Good social order and basically good supply in the supermarket-one thing to complain about is that Coca-Cola in the supermarket near my house is always in short supply:facepalm:

well, let's get back to business……

Before the Spring Festival, I knew that Topping was developing a new headphone amplifier and made an appointment with them for measurement.

The thing was finally mailed to me two days ago (thankfully they started working).

View attachment 53427

View attachment 53428

This is a compact unit. The workmanship is not exquisite, but there is nothing to complain about. Topping's family-style design (the size is the same as D90)

What I like very much is that the Power supply is built-in, making the whole system look simpler (it is always uncomfortable to hang a power adapter outside)

It's a headphone amplifier and preamp integrated product, this design may be very suitable for desktop users? (A small combination of active speakers and headphones)

First I will measure the headphone amplifier part:

I start with a medium gain, 4V input

View attachment 53449

View attachment 53450

Wow! ... I was a bit shocked ...

I feel that it is not the device under test that restricts the measurement results, but APX555.

In the case of 5V input / UNBAL output, I got 123 SINAD!:oops:

View attachment 53451

This is crazy!o_Oo_Oo_O

For comparison, this is the AP Loopback:

View attachment 53453

How does THD + N change with frequency?
View attachment 53457
Attention! The bottom of this chart is not 0.0001% as usual, but 0.00001%!

Alright, let's get on the load! See the results under load!
SNR:
View attachment 53456

THD+N vs Level
View attachment 53454

View attachment 53455

I was having difficulty measuring the maximum output ... because the protection circuit is very sensitive, it cuts off all outputs at the moment of overload ...

I got a maximum output of 6.5W with 33R (BAL Out) in dashboard mode!

In this case, SINAD is still as high as 110db.

View attachment 53458

The results of the previous test were so crazy that it made me feel boring to release things like frequency response (such a device is almost impossible to have problems in this area)

View attachment 53460

Of course ... Since the volume is adjusted with a potentiometer, there must be some problems with channel balance.But it is said that the final version of the gain will be adjusted to -9 0 9 (the one I got is 0 6 12) should be able to adapt to various headphones.

View attachment 53461

End of headphone amplifier measurement ... output impedance(0.37R):
View attachment 53462

Preamp section: As good as the headphone amplifier section!
This is one of the best headphone amps on the market no question.

omgezkoren

is topping a90 a better amplifier than drop thx 789 and monolith aaa 887? topping a90 is now the best measuring headphone amplifier? currently topping dx3 pro v2 i use akg k612 pro and meze 99 classics headphones. great improvement can be achieved if the dx3 pro v2 + A90 were the source, or is the dx3 pro v2 already such a good device that they wouldn't notice a difference?

reiserfs

Ordered one from Hifistudio in NL, since Audiophonics didn't allow pre-orders. Looking forward to it.

THAndy

is topping a90 a better amplifier than drop thx 789 and monolith aaa 887? topping a90 is now the best measuring headphone amplifier? currently topping dx3 pro v2 i use akg k612 pro and meze 99 classics headphones. great improvement can be achieved if the dx3 pro v2 + A90 were the source, or is the dx3 pro v2 already such a good device that they wouldn't notice a difference?

The measurements of the prototype do look a little better than the THX amps. But it might be worth waiting until people have some experience with production units, including measurements. There can be changes made since the prototype, and there can be little unexpected details of people's experience that make a difference.

VeerK

We are probably in the realm of inaudibility, buy the A90 for the features and aesthetics, more so than expecting to hear incredible differences. That being said, this amp is so far the closest to the mythical “wire with gain” and I like to reward good R&D by purchasing excellent products.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
DX3 pro sinad 105/106
Topping A90 sinad 121
Quality is determined by the weakest link. Imo no improvement. The DX3 pro will not suddenly measure better connected to a high performing amp.
What you most probably will get is more power, that's it, but more power doesn't translate to better sound.

omgezkoren

DX3 pro sinad 105/106
Topping A90 sinad 121
Quality is determined by the weakest link. Imo no improvement. The DX3 pro will not suddenly measure better connected to a high performing amp.
What you most probably will get is more power, that's it, but more power doesn't translate to better sound.

so would i buy a Topping A90 in addition to the Topping dx3 pro v2? wouldn’t it be a more dynamic, clearer, more detailed, bigger soundstage? is it worth buying a Topping A90 only if you have a sinad DAC 115-120 worth it?

Top Bottom