• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You give me more credit than my noob-ass to audio deserves. I was more along the lines addressing the modern day DIY and people with some electrical literacy and basic understandings. The people you allude to are bygone era fossils that are a generation away from being put into the ground along with their laughable nonsense. MOSFET mist lmao... Reminds of the modern day ESS glare term. That made my laugh a bit.

But to the topic.. You say they preferred esoteric/bespoke designs. Well sure, there's nothing really wrong with that from a artistic approach. But as I alluded to earlier(in contrast to mechanical watch making, or car production), it's hard to make electrical engineering sexy seeing as how PCB's are usually hidden away and such. But these people are insane to think some boutique no-name company could ever outperform the skills of doctors of electrical engineering involved in multi-billion dollar R&D projects if their teams were granted free reign on designing a top their product not destined for the mainstream market. So unless those morons who believe these boutique companies can out-do something like an instance of AP's design team asked to go wild making a cost-is-no-object performance DAC/ADC or AMP for instance... I don't even see the logic of even holding this belief EVEN IF all the advertising in the world was piled on to me in the modern day. It was okay to be blind in the advent of digital... To hold such beliefs today to me seems tantamount of thinking the Earth is flat, or the solar system's model is geocentric.

It just doesn't make sense even if you're a complete noob like me by simply looking at the fact that hyper-price sensitive multinational research departments are blowing through money like no tomorrow, are somehow going to be producing products destined for millions, and oversight/reliability expectations of a global market - and have those products somehow be inferior to some esoteric nonsense from boutique companies hiding in bushes from audio analyzers, praying no one sends in one of there devices for independent evaluation most of the time.

I don't know - I'm relatively young and just can't fathom a reason beyond ignorance, or psychosis that would lead grown adults, with life experiences doing transactions with money in their lives, to somehow hold these wildly incomprehensible beliefs. Like they won't even air on the side of caution, they go all in as if fighting as activists for their cases sometimes...
Which is all the more shocking that these giant budgets can’t figure out how to put together an AVR that measures well.

Tks

Major Contributor
Which is all the more shocking that these giant budgets can’t figure out how to put together an AVR that measures well.

Just seems like there are enough idiots, and enough non-competition in that realm, that allows this to go on as a reality. I wouldn't be surprised if people making these devices weren't on some level audiophools themselves tbh (thinking imperfections are actually good).

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just seems like there are enough idiots, and enough non-competition in that realm, that allows this to go on as a reality. I wouldn't be surprised if people making these devices weren't on some level audiophools themselves tbh (thinking imperfections are actually good).

I'm sure they could if they wanted to but I think they just DGAF.

Their standards are just "good enough" and not "inaudible under any circumstances" as we see with stereo DACs around here.

Tks

Major Contributor

Their standards are just "good enough" and not "inaudible under any circumstances" as we see with stereo DACs around here.

I'd not grant some of the AVR garbage the same designation of "inaudible under any circumstance" as we see with stereo DACs around here tbh. Well idk if it's strictly DACs per-se, but even my untrained self was able to tell these devices apart a few months ago when someone posted this video here on a forum somewhere.

I do agree, with the first portion you stated though.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's mostly because the target consumers don't have a clue and honestly, as long as it says "Dolby bleh bleh" and "Surround Sound" with all the feature boxes checked off, the buyer is thrilled that they have the "top of the line" unit. There is zero focus on sound quality because most consumers believe everything sounds the same. Here's how my thought process used to be when I was 18 comparing receivers at The Good Guys: "AVR A and AVR B both have Dolby, well, they are equal there, check, let's see how much power the have..." I just assumed having Dolby means there was some standard they all passed and so must all sound identical.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's mostly because the target consumers don't have a clue and honestly, as long as it says "Dolby bleh bleh" and "Surround Sound" with all the feature boxes checked off, the buyer is thrilled that they have the "top of the line" unit. There is zero focus on sound quality because most consumers believe everything sounds the same. Here's how my thought process used to be when I was 18 comparing receivers at The Good Guys: "AVR A and AVR B both have Dolby, well, they are equal there, check, let's see how much power the have..." I just assumed having Dolby means there was some standard they all passed and so must all sound identical.

Yeah. That's probably why their performance target is just "good enough".

Daimiel

There will be L30 (Atom/geshelli killer) A50s(A50 upgrade, perhaps 788 killer). This A90 thing is to fight 789 and 887. So don't expect this to be very cheap.
The Topping L30 will match well with the Topping D90 or it's much better go directly to the A90?
Thanks and congratulations for your excellent work! ;)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The Topping L30 will match well with the Topping D90 or it's much better go directly to the A90?
Thanks and congratulations for your excellent work! ;)
Simply put:
L30 = SE in SE out
A50s = SE in BAL out
A90 = BAL in BAL out.
Performance are basically the same(better than AP can measure)

Veri

Master Contributor
Simply put:
L30 = SE in SE out
A50s = SE in BAL out
A90 = BAL in BAL out.
Performance are basically the same(better than AP can measure)
How about upcoming A50s output impedance. Original A50 has 10ohm out, right? :)

VeerK

So the P90 (matching preamp?) will have what kind of inputs and outputs?

Anubhav

Forum Donor
There will be L30 (Atom/geshelli killer) A50s(A50 upgrade, perhaps 788 killer). This A90 thing is to fight 789 and 887. So don't expect this to be very cheap.

'Geshelli Killer' -- Interesting terminology.
Only a tiny Male Female partner team is causing headache to large companies like you.

Hope you take care of the QC issues unlike Sabaj & SMSL.
In the thirst to 'kill' and pricewars, its always customers who loose coz we are made to believe cheaper and cheaper is better.

Anyways, I know whose side I am on :)
Go Killer !
And to my team, I say ---- Release the Kraken !!!! :)

Last edited:

Vantavimeow

Is the L30 a plastique unbalanced A50S then? like the E30 is a plastique D50S minus bluetooth?
The high output impedance is whats making me hang on my atom vs A50 atm.
A50S seems hype AF for me
Excited to see an Atom DAC too but I can't imagine it being anything close to the E30

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is the L30 a plastique unbalanced A50S then? like the E30 is a plastique D50S minus bluetooth?
The high output impedance is whats making me hang on my atom vs A50 atm.
A50S seems hype AF for me
Excited to see an Atom DAC too but I can't imagine it being anything close to the E30
Actually No. I don't understand the meaning of plastique. If that means plastic then no. If it means cheaper then that's still no but ummm.
L30 will have higher single ended power than A50s. L30 and E30 are both in metal chassis. If you don't want balanced out and don't have D50s then L30+E30 would be a great option.

Vantavimeow

Actually No. I don't understand the meaning of plastique. If that means plastic then no. If it means cheaper then that's still no but ummm.
L30 will have higher single ended power than A50s. L30 and E30 are both in metal chassis. If you don't want balanced out and don't have D50s then L30+E30 would be a great option.

The term plastique is a joke, I have a D50S in my signature and as my inquiry suggested, I was wondering what the design language is since there are no photos, only speculation atm. The E30 doesn't enter the same planet of build quality as the D50S hence the significantly lower price, I imagine the L30 will follow the same budget design language leaving the A50S as the only true pairing for the D50/D50S.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The term plastique is a joke, I have a D50S in my signature and as my inquiry suggested, I was wondering what the design language is since there are no photos, only speculation atm. The E30 doesn't enter the same planet of build quality as the D50S hence the significantly lower price, I imagine the L30 will follow the same budget design language leaving the A50S as the only true pairing for the D50/D50S.
The glass front is not that cheap compared to alternatives. A lot of details are put into design like the edges, the color of the glass, the color of the characters and no screws on the front etc. You will notice that it's definitely not cheap looking if you can get your hands on one. Personally I prefer the look of E30 (hence L30) over A50s/D50s. Some will like the solid heavy chassis better.
As for pairing, sure A50s is the one to pair with D50s. Two(four) series have two separate direction of designs that's for sure.

Top Bottom