• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to see a D90+A90 based all-in-one product from Topping, this would be a killer product. :)

Megaderpbro

Is there a known target price for this thing? I was thinking of buying an SP200, but I would also need a splitter and a preamp for running speakers. This would be a pretty damn convenient all in one option for that functionality. Obviously as a prototype there's a while yet to go till it releases, but I'll hold off on the SMSL if this would make budgetary sense, as it seems to be an engineering masterpiece.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am hoping the price will be $150 as projected by John ;), or at least no more than $300....

Looks like the A90 will be their balanced flagship amp. Probably the most costly offering..

Last edited:

ck42

Forum Donor
Okay, well this just throws my HP amp plans out the window then! :eek:
@JohnYang1997 Anything news on the anticipated A50s....or timeline on the A90 availability?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The performance of AP is certainly limiting that particular test. With extra test equipment like low noise preamp between the amp and AP, I would expect about 106dB of SNR at 50mV.

50 mV equals -23.8 dBu. Adding 106 gives -129.8 dBu, which I think is not reachable. Adding the max output level of 25.5 dBu (6.5 W in 33 Ohms) would result in a total dynamic range/SNR of 155.3 dB (RMS unweighted). That's not a competitor to the THX designs 789 and 887 (?), it would left them in the dust (888 has SNR 134 dB). I would be happy to eat my own words, but suspect this is a calculation error or measurement fault...

No worries, though, the rest is more than impressive enough!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
50 mV equals -23.8 dBu. Adding 106 gives -129.8 dBu, which I think is not reachable. Adding the max output level of 25.5 dBu (6.5 W in 33 Ohms) would result in a total dynamic range/SNR of 155.3 dB (RMS unweighted). That's not a competitor to the THX designs 789 and 887 (?), it would left them in the dust (888 has SNR 134 dB). I would be happy to eat my own words, but suspect this is a calculation error or measurement fault...

Think it was 95~94 dBu from the measurements at 50mV though.

If you're referring to this ??
index.php

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

When using pot to output 50mV, everything before the output stage is essentially noiseless. The output stage only has a noise of 0.2x -0.3 uV.(not difficult using opa1612). And sure I wasn't clear about the test condition. I was talking about unbalanced output. And there must be a perfect return path from internal gnd to earth for clean LF. For the best 50mV performance unbalanced output should be used. For best full scale SNR balanced output should be used. I'm building an ultra low noise preamp to measure the noise of A90 as well as the new L30. 106dB really isn't that difficult. Even 110dB is achievable, just the matter of if it's worth it or not. I'll share the results when I finish.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
I have only admiration for Benchmark (the company), but I would still cheer if JohnYang1997 and colleagues were working on a Topping power amp that could compete with the Benchmark AHB2 for a third of the price. Or who knows, at the rate John is going, set new benchmarks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Less power yes.
In my opinion one of the great features of AHB2 is the option of using it bridged and keeping high power with extremely low distortion. This is a 2-in-1 product for both owners of small or large systems.

Last edited:

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Think it was 95~94 dBu from the measurements at 50mV though.

If you're referring to this ??
index.php
Again: 50 mV is the reference, max level, equalling -23.8 dBu of level. Measuring 95 dB means a real level of -118.8 dBu, which is the limit of the APx555 (see also my comment when Amir measured the IEM output of the ADI-2 DAC).

gvl

Major Contributor
Kudos on the power switch, one no longer has to unplug the phones to use it as a preamp. Oh yeah, and the performance too.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
When using pot to output 50mV, everything before the output stage is essentially noiseless. The output stage only has a noise of 0.2x -0.3 uV.(not difficult using opa1612). And sure I wasn't clear about the test condition. I was talking about unbalanced output. And there must be a perfect return path from internal gnd to earth for clean LF. For the best 50mV performance unbalanced output should be used. For best full scale SNR balanced output should be used. I'm building an ultra low noise preamp to measure the noise of A90 as well as the new L30. 106dB really isn't that difficult. Even 110dB is achievable, just the matter of if it's worth it or not. I'll share the results when I finish.

When using pot to attenuate the input signal then the measurement is not comparable to all others so far done here. And the SNR that I calculated would not be available too, in that setting. Anyway, I don't want to cause the impression that I am critizing this development, so let's wait for your final numbers.

Top Bottom