• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Sony ZX300

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
good, nice to learn that my portable player is kinda.. crap :p and that I spent some $550 on it on my last birthday! I still love the portability and battery life on my UERR on the go though, a side proof that our ears arn't that sensitive to noise floor.

As a new member on the forum I am wondering that those tube amps and DAP like this one have high 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion making the low SINAD no. yet the noise floor is reasonably low (no hiss or what for some normal grown up). I am thinking do you guys have any experience on how those will sound like? I mean... we know it is surely the distortion, but I personally can't think of why a higher pitched harmonic distortion will make ppl kind of feel like hearing a warmer sound per se

Some times harmonic distortion doesn't sound bad, but I'm very tired of discussing the various "how does it sound". The reason is that "how it sounds" is mixed with too many subjective factors. It's as if some people like durian very much and many people don't.

Personally, I also have a vacuum tube-based preamplifier. Just when choosing, I chose the one with very low noise floor in my range. I don't deny that in some cases I like its sound, but --- the measurement is just the measurement itself.

One more point I would like to complain about is that many opinionists who are pursuing "how does it sound" always think that "people who value measurement results" have no concept or don't care about how it sounds. In fact, as far as I am concerned, I just think that "how it sounds" is difficult to convey accurately between people. And I'm tired of piles of propaganda and touted articles-I don't deny that there are some parts that are of reference value but more just for sales.

YSC

Major Contributor
Some times harmonic distortion doesn't sound bad, but I'm very tired of discussing the various "how does it sound". The reason is that "how it sounds" is mixed with too many subjective factors. It's as if some people like durian very much and many people don't.

Personally, I also have a vacuum tube-based preamplifier. Just when choosing, I chose the one with very low noise floor in my range. I don't deny that in some cases I like its sound, but --- the measurement is just the measurement itself.

One more point I would like to complain about is that many opinionists who are pursuing "how does it sound" always think that "people who value measurement results" have no concept or don't care about how it sounds. In fact, as far as I am concerned, I just think that "how it sounds" is difficult to convey accurately between people. And I'm tired of piles of propaganda and touted articles-I don't deny that there are some parts that are of reference value but more just for sales.
Can't agree more and that individual hearing is having huge variation even if everyone is honest and no defense on brand etc. are at work (Say for those "ultrasound" insect repelling devices always have shit high pitch tones to my ears which before they repel any mosquito they repels me instead). I love to see those measurements a lot also, for the sake of the harmonics question is that I am thinking if I am in the mood of having a warmer/ relaxed sound or whatever it is called, I might want to try those device which shows a more consistent noise floor below say -120db range and have some higher 2nd or 3rd harmonics just like maybe these Sony stuffs (obviously not those Audio GD stuffs which I once wasted some $500 on). at the meantime I would inclined to what measures cleanest to not have a effect box for the huge money

Top Bottom