• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL Sanskrit 10th AK4493 Edition

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As previously suggested by the RME ADI-2 replacing the AK4490 with the AK4493, a lot of news said whether the AK company has discontinued the 4490. So I contacted some domestic manufacturers to find out if they have similar product strategies --- -Replaced 4490 with 4493.

SMSL gave a positive response on this matter-they have already started to replace the future version of Sanskrit 10th with 4493 and have the actual product.

I applied for a test machine from them-from the packaging observation, this is a complete retail version.

Further communication revealed that the 4493-based version will enter the market after the Chinese New Year, and the price will be "ten dollars more" than the existing version.

I also know that the previous version performed poorly:

Review and Measurements of SMSL Sanskrit 10th DAC

SMSL told me that this time was "a complete change."But in appearance, I do n’t think there is any change.

Photo.jpg
Rear.jpg

For a $ 100 device, I think the comments on appearance should be tolerant. Anyway --- they did a good job considering the price

Especially the display also has a gravity sensing function ...

Alright, let's take a measurement!
USBDashboard.jpg

Dashboard.jpg

Dynamic-Range---No.jpg

Linearity-(-20.jpg
THD+N-Ratio.jpg
SMPTE-Ratio.jpg
Multitone.jpg

J-Test @ Coax in
CoaxJ-Test.jpg

J-Test @ USB in
USBJ-Test.jpg

Having a sense of shame is a form of bravery.
After the unsatisfactory measurement results of the previous version, SMSL did make a "complete change" in the new version. Well done!

Feyire

Jitter for COAXIAL input looks like a continuous earthquake o_O

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Yeah, it's a little scary, though coax usually doesn't do jitter very well.
I think I should be tolerant of this ... if a good digital input transformer is needed, then the cost is too high compared to the price ...

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor

mkawa

Forum Donor
this is great, but i'm stuck with a copy of the old version (not that i use it...)

keep in mind that the volume control on the 4493 is, afaik, lossy, so you need a preamp

@SMSL-Mandy any chance of an upgrade discount or replacement? i'd like to use the new version in my portable rig.

Last edited:

August

Very good implementation, if there is no "gold sample" problem, it will be the king of our budget DAC! The price only needs to be slightly more than 100 dollars, incredible.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Very good implementation, if there is no "gold sample" problem, it will be the king of our budget DAC! The price only needs to be slightly more than 100 dollars, incredible.
Considering the unusually cheap price, I will buy a secret one of my friends for quality tracking after it is officially launched.

Zek

Major Contributor
There does not seem to be a difference in front and back layout between the old and new versions.:oops:

Tatteredmidnight

There does not seem to be a difference in front and back layout between the old and new versions.:oops:
Guess we’ll have to take the Seller’s word as to which version we get? I think the SU-8 was similar, where you’d have to open it to confirm it was v2. I do wish SMSL would address this situation with refreshed products and make it clear which revision of a product you received.

Evzen

Hello, and you have the opportunity to compare SMSL Sanskrit 10th AK4493 Edition and Topping DX3Pro AK4493. I'm only interested in sound, Topping DX3Pro has an input for headphones and wi-fi, if you do not take this into account, how much the difference in sound will be noticeable.

Do I understand correctly that from USB 2.0 it is already working fine and does not need an additional power supply?

Thank you.

Nuke

I just bought old version.. Anyway, smsl should change that blue digital display to less contrast - text is unreadable in dark room from 2 meters. Also i want to see auto-on when plugged to ac.

Lifer

Forum Donor
keep in mind that the volume control on the 4493 is, afaik, lossy, so you need a preamp

Could you elaborate on that please ? I thought that since it was a 32 bit chip, the volume control would be lossless, at least for a standard redbook 16bit signal ?

Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
Could you elaborate on that please ? I thought that since it was a 32 bit chip, the volume control would be lossless, at least for a standard redbook 16bit signal ?

Thanks
You are right. No need to shun digital volume control, it has so much headroom there's no way you'd enter the "lossy" realm that easily ...

Zek

Major Contributor
There is no option for black.

smsl.png

Is there any indication that this is a Mk II model?

Top Bottom