• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

olinko

Would an optical connection limit the M300 MkII to 24/96 kHz? (Or in any way limit its capabilities?)

EDIT: checked SMSL's official manual. Well hell... Now I'll have a choice of limiting the sampling rate or getting ground loop noise from the USB connection :(
1584704318009.png

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Would an optical connection limit the M300 MkII to 24/96 kHz? (Or in any way limit its capabilities?)

EDIT: checked SMSL's official manual. Well hell... Now I'll have a choice of limiting the sampling rate or getting ground loop noise from the USB connection :(View attachment 55126
You will never need more than 96khz tbh.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah but I have a lot of DSD files on my computer which I wanted to finally use properly (I've only ever had the FX Audio DAC X-6) which doesn't support DSD
There's no audible benefit to be found over 96khz PCM and minimal difference to be found over 44.1khz. Plus majority of the DSD files are not recorded using DSD and many not even 96khz. Enjoy CD quality or 96khz. And no need to worry about it.

Reactions: Sak

kouki_monster

Either way, it's limited to 192kHz via TOSLINK, not 96kHz.

Can DSD travel over optical, regardless, or only USB?..

wassim01

Hello, I want to share my experience of three weeks with the dac smsl m300 mk2, out of the box the sound quality is not up to a dac of 246 euro, at the moment I always had my dac ifi zen dac with my smsl sp200 amp to make a direct comparison between them. the biggest problem I found was that the separation of the instruments was poor and the treble was neither clear nor bright. find a youtubeur who tests on audio equipment that has experienced the same situation with this dac, he advises to let it run for 48 hours to have the real potential of this dac. I do the same thing but the quality has not changed a lot and so I extended this time to around 150 hours. one day I started my favorite music and there it is the miracle that I discovered a new sound, the sound scene is immense and dynamic with a very good separation of the instruments, the mids are detailed and natural, the trebles us are detailed and lively without being exaggerated. the bass is very punchy and makes my akg k712 headset vibrate which has never sung like this before.

Last edited:

bannani

Bravo, j ai également commandé le mien, il arrivera de chine donc je peux attendre..je suppose que tu habites en France, moi également et j adore les dac à base AKM.
I also ordered mine on the 10th anniversary of aliexpress, I hope he ll deserve more than my dx3pro that I love, so smooth ...
I bought it for 198usd, hope I ll receive within few weeks

wassim01

Bravo, j ai également commandé le mien, il arrivera de chine donc je peux attendre..je suppose que tu habites en France, moi également et j adore les dac à base AKM.
I also ordered mine on the 10th anniversary of aliexpress, I hope he ll deserve more than my dx3pro that I love, so smooth ...
I bought it for 198usd, hope I ll receive within few weeks
you're welcome, here is a video of the smsl m300 performance demonstation :

olinko

Hello, I want to share my experience of three weeks with the dac smsl m300 mk2, out of the box the sound quality is not up to a dac of 246 euro, at the moment I always had my dac ifi zen dac with my smsl sp200 amp to make a direct comparison between them. the biggest problem I found was that the separation of the instruments was poor and the treble was neither clear nor bright. find a youtubeur who tests on audio equipment that has experienced the same situation with this dac, he advises to let it run for 48 hours to have the real potential of this dac. I do the same thing but the quality has not changed a lot and so I extended this time to around 150 hours. one day I started my favorite music and there it is the miracle that I discovered a new sound, the sound scene is immense and dynamic with a very good separation of the instruments, the mids are detailed and natural, the trebles us are detailed and lively without being exaggerated. the bass is very punchy and makes my akg k712 headset vibrate which has never sung like this before.

Asking everybody, is this even possible? It's not like it has drivers to burn in or tubes to heat up...?
I mean, it converts digital signal into analog, what's there to burn in.....

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Asking everybody, is this even possible? It's not like it has drivers to burn in or tubes to heat up...?

Hello Olinko,

it is mainly the capacitors that affect the voltage filtering. Also of course the link capacitors at the output of the DAC chips, because the signal is already converted to analog and not digital. The capacitors as much those for the supply as for the audio and circuit connections, need some time to give their full potentials.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Coupling & filter capacitors don't (need) to burn in.
Power supply capacitors don't need to form every time a device is switched on.
When switched on for the very first time (testing in the factory) this usually is enough.

The only components that change during heat-up (is not burn-in, but getting to thermal equilibrium) are X'tal oscillators (electro-mechanical devices) and maybe some active components here and there need some time to reach constant temperatures or final voltage (RC times).

Evidence of this is seen in some of the tests done by Amir.

There is nothing that needs burning in.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The only components that change during heat-up (is not burn-in, but getting to thermal equilibrium) are X'tal oscillators (electro-mechanical devices) and maybe some active components here and there need some time to reach constant temperatures or final voltage (RC times).

Yes I agree!

coupling capacitors don't (need) to burn in.
When switched on for the very first time (testing in the factory) this usually is enough.

I completely disagree.

bannani

I suppose your answer but I would like to ask you if a linerar power supply for this kind of DAC will be a benefit ?
Thanks
Mine has been sent today from china.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
coupling capacitors don't (need) to burn in.

I completely disagree.

Do you have compelling evidence what I said was wrong ?

Compelling is not 'he or I or them' clearly heard this.
Scientific evidence of coupling capacitors changing performance over the coarse of days/weeks/months or electrolytics having to 'form' or 'burn-in' for hours, days or even weeks ?
Measurements showing this ?

Well ... the analog half of the circuitry!! I'm in the middle of experimentation with cheap DACs and I think I've watched it happen once.

Veri

Master Contributor
Well ... the analog half of the circuitry!! I'm in the middle of experimentation with cheap DACs and I think I've watched it happen once.
Wellll I only ever really saw proof with the Sabaj D5 with its 9038Pro chip, which could sound better once warmed up. Otherwise, I would find it more plausible the burn in is in your head :p

Top Bottom