• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of iBasso DC02

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On Monday, forum member @IVX asked me: Have you measured iBasso DC02? He couldn't believe that a AK4490-based DAC performed so poorly.

Considering this is a very cheap unit --- I got it for less than $ 40. I told him that I would immediately buy one for confirmation.

I received this unit at noon today.

Photo.jpg

I downloaded the driver from iBasso's website and measured it under ASIO.

This is the result:

Dashboard.jpg

Dynamic-Range---No.jpg

Linearity-(-20.jpg

THD+N-Ratio.jpg

SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

Multitone.jpg

J-Test.jpg

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I guessed that Amir's measurement contains some digital domain issues(like 44.1 beat 48 or so), and WolfX-700 got much more clean FFTs indeed. Finally, dc02 still looks so-so because my $300 Redmi K20 Pro outperforms it with its 3.5mm jack, however, FFT now looks reasonably clear, without a forest of spread tones.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I guessed that Amir's measurement contains some digital domain issues(like 44.1 beat 48 or so), and WolfX-700 got much more clean FFTs indeed.
That could every well be dependency on how clean the USB bus is that is feeding it. I know mine has fair bit of noise.

Veri

Master Contributor
That could every well be dependency on how clean the USB bus is that is feeding it. I know mine has fair bit of noise.
right, that's why I trust rather a battery powered android.

Honestly makes more sense to test with noisy USB bus, then you know if the cleaning is worth anything.
Not every dongle will be used with battery powered mobile device.

August

Does ALL4ASIO affect testing?There is a large gap with the test results of amirm

Veri

Master Contributor
Does ALL4ASIO affect testing?There is a large gap with the test results of amirm
Generally it's painfully obvious when the fault is the ASIO driver (dithering to 16-bit, <96dB results).

The issue seems to be the different quality of USB bus/ports.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Veri
that's why I prepared max-resolution optical in/out SPDIF/USB 24/192 device to use AP digital generator with USB DACs without ASIO ;) BTW, I sent one to Amir already, and I'll send the same to WolfX-700 if he wish.

I certainly hope to get it

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
WolfX-700
ok, I'll solder it for you after CNY, but please, PCBA only, without the case. I hate mechanic works..

As long as it is a finished PCB, I'm worried if my soldering skills will affect performance.:p

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 Could you please measure the residual noise level in uV from 20-20 kHz unweighted? From your dynamic range measurement I got it to be about 7 uV, but it must be higher than that because with my Tin T3 IEMs it's got a noticeable noise floor and I don't think they are that sensitive, although I haven't been able to find any numbers on it.
Edit: You're probably aware but it mutes the output after a few seconds of nothing playing, not sure if the DR test prevents that from happening.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 Could you please measure the residual noise level in uV from 20-20 kHz unweighted? From your dynamic range measurement I got it to be about 7 uV, but it must be higher than that because with my Tin T3 IEMs it's got a noticeable noise floor and I don't think they are that sensitive, although I haven't been able to find any numbers on it.
Edit: You're probably aware but it mutes the output after a few seconds of nothing playing, not sure if the DR test prevents that from happening.

I think the best measure to solve your doubts is this:

I intermittently give DC02 a very low signal level and record the RMS output

Here are the measurement results:

Nfloor.jpg

But on the other hand, I think there are other possibilities. So I made this measurement (20HZ-90KHZ noise floor):

I doubt if it is due to your IEM modulating it to audible band after receiving high frequency noise

NL2.jpg

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 Thank you very much! I found some specs for my T3s and at 95 dB/mw and an impedance of 16 ohm, a 7 uV noise floor would produce about 10 dB SPL if I did the calculations correctly but to my ears it sounds a lot louder than that. Maybe it's very sensitive to the USB power it gets and mine is simply noisier because of that, seeing as yours performed quite a bit better than the one Amir tested.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 Thank you very much! I found some specs for my T3s and at 95 dB/mw and an impedance of 16 ohm, a 7 uV noise floor would produce about 10 dB SPL if I did the calculations correctly but to my ears it sounds a lot louder than that. Maybe it's very sensitive to the USB power it gets and mine is simply noisier because of that, seeing as yours performed quite a bit better than the one Amir tested.

I forgot to tell you that the dbspl of the second picture has been calibrated based on the T3 data.

It is indeed 10dbspl under the 20-20K bandwidth (I will not update the picture)

Top Bottom