• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Hiby R3

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A few days ago, someone asked if it is possible to measure players that are not based on Android. Actually I had one at the time, but because I was not familiar with the equipment, I was thinking about how to measure.

The device is part of a "kaleidoscope package" that my friend sent me.

Photo.jpg

Since this is a cheap device, at a price of about $ 130, it provides 2.5mmBAL output, USBDAC function, Bluetooth input, WLAN-based DLNA playback and so on. In terms of construction quality, there is not much to complain about. The surface treatment of the aluminum alloy frame is good-I think it feels much better than the iBasso DX150 measured earlier.

What I don't like is the UI, the operation logic is very weird, and the response is not fast enough.

Alright, fortunately it has a USB DAC function, and I measured it in this mode:

200K4824Dashboard.jpg

300R4824Dashboard.jpg

50R4824Dashboard.jpg

Dynamic-Range---No.jpg

Linearity-(-20.jpg

THD+N-Ratio.jpg

SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

Multitone.jpg

digititus

Seems like I have yet to see a music player (DAP) which actually measures well or performs better than a phone + dongle. Looks like the cheap USB dongle is still the much smarter investment until proven otherwise.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Seems like I have yet to see a music player (DAP) which actually measures well or performs better than a phone + dongle. Looks like the cheap USB dongle is still the much smarter investment until proven otherwise.

FiiO's don't perform that bad.
Some of the more expensive higher end brands aren't reaching quite the same levels.
The FiiO's I have are all used in DAC line-out mode on an external amp though.

Hugo9000

Still trying to figure out the semiology of your wolves.
Thanks!
My interpretation:

Looking at the image from left to right: Clean input -> Device under test -> nasty output

:D

Well, so much for that theory, I just looked at @WolfX-700 's Sony ZX300 review, and it had the positions of the wolves reversed (dire wolf, device, young wolf), which would suggest nasty input yielding clean output, which doesn't make any sense haha!

Maybe the two together in a review suggests that the nasty device destroys the innocence represented by the cute young wolf?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wolfx700-measurement-of-sony-zx300.10847/

Last edited:
OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
My interpretation:

Looking at the image from left to right: Clean input -> Device under test -> nasty output

:D

Well, so much for that theory, I just looked at @WolfX-700 's Sony ZX300 review, and it had the positions of the wolves reversed (dire wolf, device, young wolf), which would suggest nasty input yielding clean output, which doesn't make any sense haha!

Maybe the two together in a review suggests that the nasty device destroys the innocence represented by the cute young wolf?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wolfx700-measurement-of-sony-zx300.10847/

Dire wolf=bad

Little wolf = average degree

If it is a dire wolf + little wolf = bad but acceptable

Howling Wolf = Strengthen Impression

If it is a dire wolf + howling wolf = too bad

Upright wolf = good

Robin L

Master Contributor
FiiO's don't perform that bad.
Some of the more expensive higher end brands aren't reaching quite the same levels.
The FiiO's I have are all used in DAC line-out mode on an external amp though.
I've got two low-end Fiio players. Both are underpowered. The M3K can be used as a DAC and seems to have better treble. The X1 has a proper line out [the M3K doesn't], works best with an outboard amp, can't be used as a DAC.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The original FiiO X3 (still own one despite clipping at 0dBFS) has quite a lot of headphone output power.
Later models had less output power but more than the average dongle or phone.

Fregly

For the bad ones have the angry dire wolf with a little rubber duck or chicken in his mouth. or maybe have the wolf pack surrounding their kill.

raif71

Major Contributor
The original FiiO X3 (still own one despite clipping at 0dBFS) has quite a lot of headphone output power.
Later models had less output power but more than the average dongle or phone.
Agree with you there as I have the X3II. Besides what you say, the coax out can play ac3wav and dtswav up to 5.1 channels!!. Just use a software conversion tool (example ffmpeg or Surcode Dolby/DTS) to encapsulate any multichannel (limited to 5.1) ac3 or dts to spdif wav files. The player then can play the wav files when it is connected to a receiver that recognizes ac3/dts and you can enjoy surround sound through the speakers.

fairx

More DAP mesurement ! Thank you. But I'm kinda bad at reading those graph. So it's not bad but not great either?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not bad (as in reaching audible thresholds with music) but little leeway with absolute certainty when using low impedance headphones.
Too little measurements to really tell. Looks like it may be noisier than needed (given the linearity plot).

Wolf's complaints seem to be mostly about the user interface. In order to measure DACs (as he is setup now) the DAP must also be usable as a DAC (hoping the USB receiver used is a good implementation)

The DX150 (more expensive and reputable) measures better.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Dire wolf=bad

Little wolf = average degree

If it is a dire wolf + little wolf = bad but acceptable

Howling Wolf = Strengthen Impression

If it is a dire wolf + howling wolf = too bad

Upright wolf = good
This needs to be stickied:p

ViperScythe

This DAP looks good! Unfortunately the measurement doesn't, even the big bro R6 Pro failed to impress me. Damn if only the measurement were a tad bit better...

Top Bottom