• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M400 DAC

SMSL_Liu

Audio Company
Hi @WolfX-700 can you do jitter measurement with TOSlink input please?
Hi, I can give you my test, the Toslink's jitter is higher than coaxial, it's caused by the connector itself, the TOSHIBA one is much better, but they don't make it anymore. In coaxial, the jitter is smaller than AKM official EVM(about 40ps) and the spec of AK4118A(50ps).
For applications that pursue performance, we recommend using coaxial!

Attachments

• jitter coax 48k.jpg
    jitter coax 48k.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 316
  • opt_48k.jpg
    opt_48k.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I dont understand why it would not pair nicely with certain amps. Can someone explain? I pair mine with my benchmark hpa4.

Also, @WolfX-700, was the multitone test done at a fixed voltage (5.3v ) or 4 volts? If it was done at 4 would you mind doing one at fixed voltage? The reason I ask is because that is how I use it. I understand if you are too busy though. Great review, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I dont understand why it would not pair nicely with certain amps. Can someone explain? I pair mine with my benchmark hpa4.

The output impedance of the DAC is high due to absence of output buffer, probably intentional since it worked for lowest THD in their design.
Could be a problem, but due to the high "hot" 5.3/2.7 volt output, this actually works out fine and will not cause issues. I don't see a problem.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor

Also, @WolfX-700, was the multitone test done at a fixed voltage (5.3v ) or 4 volts? If it was done at 4 would you mind doing one at fixed voltage? The reason I ask is because that is how I use it. I understand if you are too busy though. Great review, I really appreciate it.

Multitone test done at a fixed voltage

sq225917

Major Contributor
The DAC seems fine with intersample overs, no obvious audible glitches. I lived with the M2Tech Young DAC, so I know what they sound like....

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Awesome :)

Sounds amazing by the way. Im in love with mine.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
So... How do you guys think this thing compares to the d90 measurement wise?

My limited knowledge is making it hard to compare IMD. Looks like the smsl has the d90 beat on linearity, sinad, and snr though, but definitely not an audible concern for either. They are both respectively good implementations, that's for sure.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
So... How do you guys think this thing compares to the d90 measurement wise?

My limited knowledge is making it hard to compare IMD. Looks like the smsl has the d90 beat on linearity, sinad, and snr though, but definitely not an audible concern for either. They are both respectively good implementations, that's for sure.

It seems that the two devices that Wolf tested are within 1 Db of each other, except for the the dynamic range: it is not weighted on the M400 and is AES17 (A) weighted on the D90, so they are difficult to compare. If both were A-weighted the M400 would have a little advantage, perhaps not as big as SMSL would like us to believe, and both are beyond audibility. I doubt they would be distiguishable from each other. So I would go for the D90, which is significantly less expensive esp without MQA.

Last edited:

strom

There seem to be problems with the Topping D90 MQA regarding IMac compatibility. I don't see in the forums if this has been resolved. Since the SMSL M400 also has MQA, I was wondering if the iMac incompatibility issue has been addressed in this model. I am new to this forum. My setup is a late 2012 iMac with Stax SR 507 and Stax SRM 323 S. I have never had a DAC and am waiting for the dust to settle on any issues regarding these new DACs.

misterdog

@sq225917 is currently feeding my M400 from a Mac mini, maybe PM him.

He also has Stax headphones.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I sometimes get very, very quiet clicks when jumping to a new track when one is already playing via itunes on my mac book pro. Certainly nothing like I get on moode on my pi ess dac stack which can be a real digital glitch.

It's pretty much perfect all that's missing is the ability to lower the output level so i could use it without a pre amp. Like most modern dacs its 30-40db too hot straight into my power amps, which are only 20db gain...

I have a soncoz SDG1 coming this week to compare.

Top Bottom