• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M200 DAC

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Here and in Amir's test plots, I'm never informed of the bin bandwidth in FD or sample length in time domain. This is very important in knowing the actual SNR. This should always be displayed in the plots, as noise floor can arbitrarily lowered with longer samples, narrower bins.
For dashboard thd+n/sinad Amir uses 22khz bandwidth no weighting and should be 32k length(this is not important as long as it's consistent).
SNR should be 22khz bw too.
Thd+n vs frequency is 90khz.

Paradoxx

My dilemma involves the SMSL M200 connected to an L30. 1) with active monitors, not "unpowered" speakers, plugged into the XLR outputs; 2) which I'll turn off to utilize the RCA outputs to the headamp - that's the best it'll get as I understand it & both outputs (balanced & RCA) can remain plugged in
As mentioned above, all outputs are active at the same time, there's no on/off or selection setting, just for the inputs.

CASE2112

Forum Donor
Yes, I realize, now, that all outputs are on - which is why I turn off the powered monitors attached via the balanced out, so that I can use the head amp separate without having the powered monitors playing at the same time. It works.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was wondering about the outputs. I am currently using the RCA outputs to the buffer / preamp, and I was thinking of using the XLR outputs at the same time to a future subwoofer. Has anyone tried this setup before?

aldarrin

I have the XLR outputs connected to a STAX SRM-353X and the RCA outputs to a SMSL SP200. Both work fine at the same time, only the volume is twice as loud on the XLR outputs due to the increased voltage. I imagine the XLR connection to a subwoofer would work fine.

ModDIY

Thank you Aldarin for your answer.

The subwoofer allows a good volume adjustment

Aardappel

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question on the SMSL M200, hoping someone can answer this. Having looked into the SMSL SU-8 a lot of people have been reporting a peculiar phenomenon. When plugged in to a variable source, such as Netflix where the streaming quality sometimes jumps around whilst watching a movie depending on internet speeds, apparently the SU-8 can pause all sound for a few seconds as the bitrate etc. of the source changes. This would be very annoying and an absolute no-go for my partner, especially for the amount of money we are putting into a sound system. Can anyone confirm that this issue has been resolved with the M200?

Cheers

ahmedmo1

Can both the RCA and balanced outputs be used at the same time? I want to use the balanced outputs for my speakers and the unbalanced to my subwoofers.

ModDIY

Can both the RCA and balanced outputs be used at the same time? I want to use the balanced outputs for my speakers and the unbalanced to my subwoofers.

Hi, yes you can. I have this setup in my living room.
The RCA output is connected to a buffer that feeds 2 amplifiers for my speakers (bi-amplification) and the XLR output to my Monoprice Studio 10 subwoofer.

I am very satisfied with the result, the SMSL M200 is really excellent.

Swoof

Does this DAC has an "auto standby" and "auto wake up" functionality?
I'm curious about this myself. Additionally - does it remember the volume you leave it at? Would like to use with a power amp nc252mp with no volume control.

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
I'm curious about this myself. Additionally - does it remember the volume you leave it at? Would like to use with a power amp nc252mp with no volume control.

This is the answer I received from SMSL
(please pardon my broken english)

Screenshot_20201221-232836~2.png

ModDIY

Hi,

Mine is plugged directly into the amplifier with no volume control and yes it remembers the volume from the last use.

On the other hand I can not find any standby..

Aardappel

Hi,

Mine is plugged directly into the amplifier with no volume control and yes it remembers the volume from the last use.

On the other hand I can not find any standby..
Does it remember the volume after a power-down situation (unplugged from the wall power point)? And are you experiencing any popping or pauses as the audio source changes?

Swoof

Does it remember the volume after a power-down situation (unplugged from the wall power point)? And are you experiencing any popping or pauses as the audio source changes?

Mine just arrived today. Remembers volume, last input, and even immediately reconnected to same bluetooth device after unplugging. No popping watching Amazon prime and spotify.

The fact it automatically connects to device after switching input to bluetooth is really nice. I'm impressed with this DACs features. Volume knob isn't the best feeling but planning to mainly use with remote.

ModDIY

I just cut the power, and yes it remembers the connection and the volume stays the same.

No popipng for me, but I have not tested with DSD.

ahmedmo1

When I output to my speakers (Eve SC208s) from the USB input, everything is fine. But when I output to my speakers using the optical input, I get the warning light from my speakers that the signal source level is too high and needs to be reduced. How can I address this?

Swoof

Does anyone understand why this DAC puts out higher voltages when using Pre mode rather than DAC mode? Manual says 2v RCA, 4.1v XLR via DAC mode, but 2.7v RCA and 5.5v XLR during pre-mode. Is this typical? I have an e30 but it doesn't specify different voltages for pre-mode.

ModDIY

To my knowledge there is no pre-mode. I am using the XLR output

Top Bottom