• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M200 DAC

finitol

Can DAC bypass wil be implemented by firmware update?

That will be fantastic...

I'm using it as a dac after a minidsp SHD Studio and M200 bypass preamp button will be a short signal path for me cause i'm using SHD volume control for feed M200

finitol

I sent a support email to S.M.S.L yesterday via their official website. Let's see if they respond, although I'm not overly optimistic. ;) I'd be willing to bet that this is simply how the DAC is designed, and it's impossible to bypass the volume control unless turning it up to -00 does so.
Any news from SMSL over volume bypass?

finitol

Oh! I also detecte that in my phisical user manual inside the box, nothing is include as pre mode use or specs of it and in user manual downloaded on the smsl web IT IS information about pre mode specs and use.....

Hardware changes without any claim from them?

Edit for typo

Last edited:

dpippel

Oh! I also detecte that in my phisical user manual inside the box, nothing is include as pre mode use or specs of it and in user manual downloaded on the smsl web IT IS information about pre mode specs and use.....

Hardware changes without any claim from they?

I'll have to download the manual and check this out.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, about the bluetooth connection, I couldn't have any problem. I could not dissociate the M200 in the list of my cell. I cross my fingers.

VinceS

I have a question about the m200 that i hope you guys can answer. If i were to to get a m200 and a sp200 (or thx 789 if I can find one) and I want to connect the head amp and a pair of monitor speakers.

How would that work in regards to switching between balanced and unbalanced. So xlr goes to the monitors and the rca goes to the head amp. I was looking in the m200 manual and all i could find was how to switch inputs not outputs. Could anyone who owns it or knows more shed some light on how this works on the m200? Or would the m300/500 be the better choice then?

finitol

So, in a case that will be impossible to get preamp...

Which will be the best volume step to avoid the maximun distorsion as possible?

Will be 0 value? That bypass volumen control?

Or 05/09 value barely to avoid the last upper zone of thd measure?

Or are there any other way to do it?

Veri

Master Contributor
So, in a case that will be impossible to get preamp...

Which will be the best volume step to avoid the maximun distorsion as possible?

Will be 0 value? That bypass volumen control?
Preamp at '0' tends to have the highest SNR (signal-noise ratio). The preamp is to use for your convenience, sometimes you need to change the volume. Simple as that. Don't overthink it...

aldarrin

The volume setting only affects DSD playback IIRC. I don't have any DSD files, so never bothered with the setting.

nck045

Does the rca input on the M200 also suffer from rolled off high frequencies like the M400?

VinceS

I have a question about the m200 that i hope you guys can answer. If i were to to get a m200 and a sp200 (or thx 789 if I can find one) and I want to connect the head amp and a pair of monitor speakers.

How would that work in regards to switching between balanced and unbalanced. So xlr goes to the monitors and the rca goes to the head amp. I was looking in the m200 manual and all i could find was how to switch inputs not outputs. Could anyone who owns it or knows more shed some light on how this works on the m200? Or would the m300/500 be the better choice then?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Much appreciated :)

Top Bottom