• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M200 DAC

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This device (SMSL M200) should have been on the market for some time? From the price and model system of SMSL, this is an inexpensive device (279USD?). Considering the discussion in the forum, I applied for a sample for measurement.

Photo.jpg

Rear.jpg

In terms of design and workmanship, there is really nothing to say-normal level.
AKM4497, balanced output...

The question now is... Measurement results

Dashboard.jpg

Although the value of SINAD is good here, we can see some other problems-it seems that due to the "low cost" of digital circuits, we can find some side lobes in the FFT. This high probability indicates that the device's own jitter performance is not good (I measured the COAX and Opt inputs, and the problem still exists)

DashboardRCA.jpg

DashboardCOAXRCA.jpg

Dynamic-Range---No.jpg

Linearity-(-20.jpg

THD+N-Ratio.jpg

SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

FFT-Spectrum.jpg

ModDIY

It's weird, on the SMSL website you can see a measurement made of the M200, and the FFT looks better and also SINAD and dynamic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-08-07-45-24.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-08-07-45-24.png
    830.3 KB · Views: 1,356

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Would you try different sampling rates?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
It's weird, on the SMSL website you can see a measurement made of the M200, and the FFT looks better and also SINAD and dynamic.

I am responsible for the measurement result of the sample at hand: SN32771X

ModDIY

So the sample differs from the DAC you finally received.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Weird. I got sent the m400 meaurements early and they were pretty spot on compared to 3rd party comparisons. Wonder what happened here.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
So the sample differs from the DAC you finally received.
Their DNR measurement seems to use the standard setting (with CCIR weighting), and I started using the unweighted setting a long time ago.

This will also affect the measured value of DNR

ModDIY

With a linear power supply rather than SMPS, we could perhaps reduce the jitter?!?

ShiZo

Forum Donor
With a linear power supply rather than SMPS, we could perhaps reduce the jitter?!?
Personally i don't think that's it, but I'm not the most knowledgeable person around these parts.

M0du1e

Right about time, I almost pull the trigger on combo M200 + SP200. Thank you, will watching this thread for further explanations.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Right about time, I almost pull the trigger on combo M200 + SP200. Thank you, will watching this thread for further explanations.
It should be noted that I am not accusing M200

In fact at the corresponding price, it's not bad

ModDIY

It is disappointing on the part of SMSL. I bought the M200 because M300 was not easily accessible, thinking that the performance would have been close to the M300.

But I like the sound of the M200 and also its Bluetooth. I find it very detailed and silent. Then it can depend on the resolution of the files. In my case, these are mostly 16-bit files except a few in 24-bit.

Despite this the measures are not top compared to others. My first idea was the Topping D50s.

gvl

Major Contributor
Why would anyone care about lobes at -130dB buried in noise? Can you also test jitter at 12khz? Multitone isn't the cleanest but okay at this price point and feature set. Seems like a decent device overall.

VeerK

It’s an okay product, but I don’t necessarily see the appeal vs something like the Topping E30. Nice for SP200 owners to have the option of a matching DAC though

XeNoNF50

It’s an okay product, but I don’t necessarily see the appeal vs something like the Topping E30. Nice for SP200 owners to have the option of a matching DAC though

For me it was the LDAC bluetooth that sold it. Was a non-negotiable, very important to me in my downstairs set up - allowing me to connect headphones to my TV sound using LDAC when needed. It's nice that it will match my SP200 though.

Top Bottom