• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M200 DAC

Hi,

Mine is plugged directly into the amplifier with no volume control and yes it remembers the volume from the last use.

On the other hand I can not find any standby..
Does it remember the volume after a power-down situation (unplugged from the wall power point)? And are you experiencing any popping or pauses as the audio source changes?

Does it remember the volume after a power-down situation (unplugged from the wall power point)? And are you experiencing any popping or pauses as the audio source changes?
Mine just arrived today. Remembers volume, last input, and even immediately reconnected to same bluetooth device after unplugging. No popping watching Amazon prime and spotify.

The fact it automatically connects to device after switching input to bluetooth is really nice. I'm impressed with this DACs features. Volume knob isn't the best feeling but planning to mainly use with remote.

When I output to my speakers (Eve SC208s) from the USB input, everything is fine. But when I output to my speakers using the optical input, I get the warning light from my speakers that the signal source level is too high and needs to be reduced. How can I address this?

Does anyone understand why this DAC puts out higher voltages when using Pre mode rather than DAC mode? Manual says 2v RCA, 4.1v XLR via DAC mode, but 2.7v RCA and 5.5v XLR during pre-mode. Is this typical? I have an e30 but it doesn't specify different voltages for pre-mode.

ModDIY

There is, it is how you start adjust the volume if you are using that feature.
Yes it is true, it is the DAC mode which is not available.

But it does not seem to me to have read a voltage of 5.7v on XLR ... I will look

You should have a fixed DAC mode. I can set Pre to 0 or 1 in menu to turn on or off. If I set to fixed it turns off volume control but display remains locked at previous volume. I'm just curious where the extra voltage comes from in pre mode.

Attached image from my manual, since everywhere else on the internet this bit of information is missing.

Attachments

Last edited:

ModDIY

Ok thank you.

I'll find my manual and see the information. In XLR mode and pre mode the voltage of 5.7v is high, a chance the RCA voltage is 2.7v max, because I am using the XLR to power my subwoofer.

It is limited with the subwoofer, the volume of the amplifier is almost at the minimum, but it's ok as a gain anyway. Otherwise, XLR attenuators are sold.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this DAC doesn't have an output buffer similar to the m400? Or does anyone know the output impedance of the m200?