• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M200 DAC

Yachary

Just two question. What does it show in preamp mode on display, volume? And how it switch between modes

I do not have any pop noise on my M200 balanced output.

dpippel

No issues with pops here either. My M200 runs in DAC mode, connected to a Monolith THX 887 headphone amp via balanced outputs.

Yachary

What is function of the button FN? Is it switch between DAC and preamp mode just like DX3Pro?
1595441055850.png

dpippel

That's sad, because someone who don't know can switch, especially when you use it with power amp...

The instructions could be a little more clear that the FN key on the remote switches between these two modes, but Chinese -> English translations are very often problematic.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is function of the button FN? Is it switch between DAC and preamp mode just like DX3Pro?
index.php

That's sad, because someone who don't know can switch, especially when you use it with power amp...

No danger for the amplifier. My DAC is connected to 2 amplifiers, for total 250W/c (bi-amplification).

This is not for switching from DAC mode to preamp, but rather what indicated, display Volume / Sampling rate.

Reactions: 777

Yachary

This is not for switching from DAC mode to preamp, but rather what indicated, display Volume / Sampling rate.
Oh, it's good news. So how to switch beetwen the modes? I can't find in instruction for M200 downloded from oficial site

ModDIY

I believe it's in the setup menu. I did not try.

By default the DAC is in preamp mode.

dpippel

Good catch. I was thinking of the E30. :facepalm:

BTW, after reviewing the manual and setup functions, there doesn't appear to BE a way to set the M200 to fixed output DAC mode. The volume control is always on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last edited:

ModDIY

Good catch. I was thinking of the E30. :facepalm:

I thought about it, the controller looks like the E30

BTW, after reviewing the manual and setup functions, there doesn't appear to BE a way to set the M200 to fixed output DAC mode. The volume control is always on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I will try and I will get back to you!

aldarrin

SMSL Remote.PNG

If by "modes" you mean switch inputs, click the button I circled. If by "modes" you mean change DAC settings (e.g. Sound Color, whatever that means) push the circle button in the middle of the arrow buttons.
Edit: can confirm there's not pass through option on the DAC, the volume knob always affects the volume.

ModDIY

Hi, in the menu via the remote I did not find the option to switch from preamp mode to DAC only mode (no volume).

Unless someone finds it and tells us, it doesn't seem to have the option of going into DAC mode alone. Moreover it is not described in the manual .. very weird, houhou someone at SMSL could he help us ???

dpippel

Hi, in the menu via the remote I did not find the option to switch from preamp mode to DAC only mode (no volume).

Unless someone finds it and tells us, it doesn't seem to have the option of going into DAC mode alone. Moreover it is not described in the manual .. very weird, houhou someone at SMSL could he help us ???

I sent a support email to S.M.S.L yesterday via their official website. Let's see if they respond, although I'm not overly optimistic. ;) I'd be willing to bet that this is simply how the DAC is designed, and it's impossible to bypass the volume control unless turning it up to -00 does so.

Yachary

By the way has someone detect sound drop via optic input? My m500 has this problem with sony tv

hlc1209

Edit: can confirm there's not pass through option on the DAC, the volume knob always affects the volume.

In fact, there is a menu item called "Pr". I try to set "Pr" to 0, and then the volume knob will not affect the volume.

BUT!!!!! it only disabled the function of the knob. If you set the volume to, for example, -15db, before you adjust the "Pr" setting, and then set "Pr" to 0, the volume will remain at -15db and you will not be able to adjust the volume through the knob. Lol.

I find nothing about "Pr" in the manual. I believe it actually means preamp.

dpippel

In fact, there is a menu item called "Pr". I try to set "Pr" to 0, and then the volume knob will not affect the volume.

BUT!!!!! it only disabled the function of the knob. If you set the volume to, for example, -15db, before you adjust the "Pr" setting, and then set "Pr" to 0, the volume will remain at -15db and you will not be able to adjust the volume through the knob. Lol.

I find nothing about "Pr" in the manual. I believe it actually means preamp.

There is no "Pr" menu item on my M200.

Top Bottom